Another update on Spot's kits

Old June 1st 05, 10:25 AM
Steve Touchstone

Default Another update on Spot's kits

Finally made it down to TED today to buy some cat food. I should have
made the trip last week, but put it off until Saturday afternoon.
Unfortunately, I didn't get there before they closed for the day, and
we actually ran out of the prescription food. I think the girls were
kind of hoping the prescription diet was gone for good. They got to
eat the new Iams soft food which comes in pouches since Sunday, and
they simply love that stuff. Today we're back to the special foo, and
S and LB are staging a hunger strike hoping for some IAMs. Spot is not
supporting the strike, she's happy to be able to eat from two food
bowls and has done her best to eat three portions.

Anyway, Dr Haney saw me as I was walking out the door, and followed me
out to give me an update. He tells me they're growing like mad, and
have pretty much taken over his workshop. He has a resident older tom
cat, who the new boys have been taking great joy in tormenting. The
older cat tolerates them most of the time, but Dr Haney says he
sometimes climbs up where they can't follow and just watches as they
play. The third boy, the one who he placed with one of his clients, is
also doing well in his new home. His new slave is wheelchair bound,
which reminded me of Spicey and Suz.

As long as I'm posting updates, here's the latest on Spot. Today is my
day off, so Spot has been out with S and LB all day. Things were going
well enough that I left didn't put them in separate rooms when I made
the trip to TED for cat food. I was kind of anxious when I returned
home. LB met me at the door, but no Sammy or Spot. I looked in the
bedroom room and found them both napping on the bed. Later on, when I
first turned on the computer, they were all three napping at my feet.
So, the intregration of Spot is going quite well - certainly better
than I had hoped for.

Spot does have a couple bad habits I'm having to work on. The worst is
that she still isn't sure that food will be provided - so she
sometimes tries to keep the others away from the food bowls. For a
while she laid by the bowl all the time. I got around this by putting
out food in separate rooms. She would guard one bowl, and rush off to
chase away anyone she heard eating at the other. She's learned "No!"
and would stop when I told her to. I think we've pretty much gotten
this problem licked. When she sees someone else eating now she just
watches, then when they finish she goes to check the food levels. the
other problem is that Spot is a scratcher, and doesn't know what
scratching posts are. Lucky for all concerned, this isn't a big
concern to me. She stops when I tell her to, and I figure she'll
figure out the proper places to scratch by watching the others.
--
Steve Touchstone,
faithful servant of Sammy and Little Bit

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:
Old June 1st 05, 12:24 PM
Karen

in article , Steve Touchstone at
wrote on 6/1/05 4:25AM:

[...]

What a great update! It's going so well!

Old June 1st 05, 12:56 PM
Victor Martinez

Steve Touchstone wrote:
So, the intregration of Spot is going quite well - certainly better
than I had hoped for.

Sounds great!

Awww... poor baby!

watches, then when they finish she goes to check the food levels. the
other problem is that Spot is a scratcher, and doesn't know what
scratching posts are. Lucky for all concerned, this isn't a big

She'll figure it out. The way we always do it is to praise them when
they use the scratching post, say "NO!" when they scratch something else.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old June 1st 05, 02:34 PM
Marina

Steve Touchstone wrote:

Wonderful update, Steve. The integration is going really well, I'm
impressed! Purrs that Spot soon realises there will always be more food,
and what scratching posts are for.

--
Marina, Frank and Miranda. In loving memory of Nikki.
Old June 1st 05, 07:52 PM
Steve Touchstone

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 11:56:04 GMT, Victor Martinez
wrote:

the
other problem is that Spot is a scratcher, and doesn't know what
scratching posts are. Lucky for all concerned, this isn't a big

She'll figure it out. The way we always do it is to praise them when
they use the scratching post, say "NO!" when they scratch something else.

Pretty much what I've been doing (and it worked well with the others
before they figured it out). I've tried sprinkling catnip on the posts
to attract her, but it seems she's one of those cats immune to 'nip.

BTW, LB and Sammy have always been immune to 'nip of the store-bought
variety, too. Yesterday LB, Sammy and I were in the OUT, and LB was
attracted to the 'nip I planted last year, even nibbling a little on a
leaf. Thinking maybe fresh nip will be the answer, I picked a couple
leaves and brought them inside. Nobody was interested, so it seems
it's only good when it's on the plant.

Old June 1st 05, 09:05 PM
Susan M

Awww - thanks for the great update. It's nice to hear good news about
kitties and I'm glad that Spot is integrating so beautifully!

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Old June 4th 05, 12:07 AM
SuzQ

Great update. Speaking of the Spiced one, she was just racing around our
Apt due to the Zoomies.
Suz&The spiced blur.

Old June 4th 05, 04:13 AM
Marina

SuzQ wrote:

Great update. Speaking of the Spiced one, she was just racing around our
Apt due to the Zoomies.
Suz&The spiced blur.

Aaaww. Can you get Joan to take new pics of Spicey? I'd love to see her
all grown up.

--
Marina, Frank and Miranda. In loving memory of Nikki.