antifreeze warning

Old February 26th 04, 02:43 PM
Caroline S.

Default antifreeze warning

I was reading Dr. Fox's veterinary column in the Washington Post and he had
a question about allowing dogs to drink out of public fountains in the
winter. Apparently some places put antifreeze in the water to keep the
fountain from freezing up. It had never occurred to me that that would be a
common practice. So, this is just a heads-up to dog owners or people with
outdoor pets who might live near such a water source.

(the first question he )
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004Feb23.html

-Caroline S.

Old February 26th 04, 07:54 PM
Margaret Fine

Caroline S. wrote:
I was reading Dr. Fox's veterinary column in the Washington Post and he had
a question about allowing dogs to drink out of public fountains in the
winter. Apparently some places put antifreeze in the water to keep the
fountain from freezing up. It had never occurred to me that that would be a
common practice. So, this is just a heads-up to dog owners or people with
outdoor pets who might live near such a water source.

(the first question he )
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004Feb23.html

-Caroline S.

Wow, I never thought about that. I usually don't let my dog drink out
of fountains anyway (I usually lug my own water around) but I could just
see him trying to drink if he got close. Or even jump in (he is a Lab).

--
Margaret Fine

Old February 28th 04, 05:28 AM
John F. Eldredge

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from

Old February 28th 04, 07:50 AM
Steve Touchstone

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 23:28:36 -0600, John F. Eldredge
wrote:

I remember once reading about a man who had just built an ornamental
fish pond in his back yard, stocking it with $500 worth of imported
Japanese koi. A few hours after he put the koi in the pond, a blue
heron showed up and ate most of his koi! He ended up having to erect
netting over the pond to keep the heron away, as it kept coming back
in hopes of a free meal.

I know it was sad for the fish, and of course for the guy shelling out
the bucks, but just ROTFL here. OTOH, if it was me I might just stock
the pond with cheap fish every few days to have a blue heron come and
dine in my backyard.
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:
Old February 28th 04, 08:54 AM
Marina

"Steve Touchstone" wrote

OTOH, if it was me I might just stock
the pond with cheap fish every few days to have a blue heron come and
dine in my backyard.

Exactly what I was thinking! So much mroe interesting to watch the bird than
some snooty fish. ;o)

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old February 28th 04, 02:04 PM
Victor Martinez

Marina wrote:
Exactly what I was thinking! So much mroe interesting to watch the bird than
some snooty fish. ;o)

Well, we've had herons come and eat our fish and we don't appreciate it!
:-(
We bought a motion-sensor activated sprinkler that keeps them away from
the pond.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old February 28th 04, 03:35 PM
Marina

"Victor Martinez" wrote

Well, we've had herons come and eat our fish and we don't appreciate it!

Sorry, Victor, I know some people like fish, but they really don't do
anything for me. I just find birds much more interesting. Although, out on
the island in summer, Frank and I do like laying on the jetty and watching
the perch swimming underneath through the cracks in the jetty.I think that
is what he is doing he

http://tinyurl.com/34kqd

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old February 28th 04, 03:41 PM
lewe

"Marina" wrote in message

"Victor Martinez" wrote

Well, we've had herons come and eat our fish and we don't appreciate it!

Sorry, Victor, I know some people like fish, but they really don't do
anything for me. I just find birds much more interesting. Although, out on
the island in summer, Frank and I do like laying on the jetty and watching
the perch swimming underneath through the cracks in the jetty.I think that
is what he is doing he

http://tinyurl.com/34kqd

aah, lovely - thanks for the mini holiday at the island! =o)

better get back to work now ...
--
:: lewe
lewemi at yahoo dot se || cat pics: photos.yahoo.com/lewemi

Old February 28th 04, 05:03 PM
Victor Martinez

Marina wrote:
Sorry, Victor, I know some people like fish, but they really don't do
anything for me. I just find birds much more interesting. Although, out on

We like birds too, we have a half a dozen bird feeders in the garden. We
prefer them eating the seed we buy them and not our other pets... ;-)

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old February 28th 04, 09:52 PM

Marina wrote:

Exactly what I was thinking! So much mroe interesting to watch the bird
than some snooty fish. ;o)

I like birds too, but I also think Japanese koi are beautiful. There's a
local art museum here with a huge artifical pond and dozens of Japanese
koi. They're gorgeous - many different colors and patterns, kind of like
different cat coats.

Joyce