Houdini crosses Rainbow bridge ---and possibly a new one to join me

Old September 22nd 05, 12:12 PM
Miss Violette

we will purr for your heart to heal, go to the shelter and look at all
available cats/kittens, see who would match you and your present cat's
personalities, don't limit yourself by age or gender, just go and keep
looking until you find a match for the both of you, Miss Violette for her
house
Noah wrote in message
oups.com...

Greetings all

My cat Houdini crossed Rainbow Bridge exactly a month and one day ago.

Below is an email I sent to my friends and family that morning:

"At about 8:47AM my black cat, Houdini, died.

She was four years old.

I awoke this morning; saw her on her favorite window
Sill, pet her, gave her fresh kibbles, and saw her
happily going on her morning. At around a quarter to
nine she went to the litter-box and moments later I
heard her call for help. It was sudden. She was
sprawled out, her tongue to her side, already
Seemingly no longer breathing.

I called the cat clinic and didn't even drive. Like a
true parent I simply took my child in a towel and
briskly got down the block. The doctors knew I was
coming and delivered the news in a direct way with
their sympathies, they are all cat people.

I said my goodbyes, but knowing the teachings of my
parents and life, the body is but a vessel for a
greater presence.

I had notified work of my medical emergency and they
are now expecting me at work, with an understanding
I'll be late, but my day and life must go on.

I take heart in knowing I have Sandstone my friends in
the hallway of my building, coworkers, friends, and my
remaining time with the tigers at the Erie County
Fair. I don't know if it has hit completely yet, I
have shed a tear or two, but I am doing okay. I will
be fine. There are always cats that need a loving
home, but for now I need some time to remember my
little magician, the cat who could walk through walls
and also disappear: my sweet Houdini."

Houdini was a sweet kitty, all black except for a part of her neck and
her white paws, little slippers. She was a bigger than average cat, but
very sweet and very gentle. She got her name due to her being quite a
little magician when I first brought her home as an SPCA foster kitten.
I had gone to my car to get their paperwork (there were two) and when I
came back she had *dissappeared* into thin air. Just vanished. I
*asked* her friend where she was, knowing the cat wouldn't tell me, but
I had to ask. I would spend the next four hours looking through my
apartment, in drawers (which the cat would have to first open, get
inside, and *THEN* close, in my closet, everywhere, and in the in
hallway. I then looked outside (I was in a ground level apartment). I
was talking to an insurance company that night (a tractor trailer hit
my car while backing out of the SPCA lot---true story--I got a full
payment). The insurance agent for the trucking company told me to
relax; the cat was just making herself scarce. I'd later find her
walking around. I followed the kitten, pet it, and asked her where
she'd been. I then observe her seemingly walk "through the wall" as she
went under the sink's cabinet..and disappeared. I stood there and said,
"How did you do that?!" I leaned down...saw a little nose and whiskers
and heard loud purring. I realized...she was in a small crawl
space/pipe chase. Behind the rubber stopper there was not flush wood,
but a space...

--- ===== bottom of cabinet under sink

===== kitty crawl space

| ====== rubber stopper/casing

--- ====== bathroom floor

I'd come home in the summer and sometimes find neither cat, look under
my sink and hear two sets of purring, loudly...where it was nice, cool,
and dark.

She pulled a vanishing act on me and seemingly walked through a wall,
two of Houdini's most famous illusions.

When I first heard, when we (my cat Sandstone and I) heard her mournful
call for help we rushed in like paramedics, both of us. She was already
on the floor, most likely already dead, but I did take her to vet in a
hurry. The doctors said I did all I could and more. They were very kind
and as I broke down in a few tears, while trying to do the "I'm a
27-year old professional... and I don't cry thing" VTs patted my
shoulder, consoled me, and handed me tissues. The cat clinic sent me a
nice letter, two cards actually, saying that they were all sorry of her
passing and that they knew I gave her a great home and four wonderful
years. I am starting to get a little misty writing this.

==== QUESTION

I had a friend clean my apartment today, she does for extra money, and
she told me I should get a new kitten. I had thought about getting a
new four-year old cat (Sandstone is that age too) from a shelter, an
adult cat.

Sandstone is my alpha-male. He's very sweet, kind, and has a great
friendly outgoing personality. A purrer and sleeps with me at night and
is a real glutton for being stroked. A good kitty. I would not want to
get a male kitten or cat---immediate territory/jealously issues.

Cat or kitten?

I don't want to be too cheap and just say a kitten would cost more
with shots, besides I feel a cat of the same age, female, would be good
for him. My friend says a kitten would be better.

I know he'd warm, eventually, to a female kitten. I don't really fear
at all---for he is too nice a cat---that he's attack her. However, I
feel bringing in a lady, as opposed to a girl, may be a better idea.

Thoughts and reasons as to which is a better idea?
He seems to be adjusting well, perhaps better than me. He has been
sleeping with me every night since, perhaps lonely, but he hasn't been
moping and he has wanted more affection lately---which I am happy to
give. I have photos if anyone would like any.

Old September 22nd 05, 12:18 PM
Noah

I'd like to thank you all for your kind words, nice thoughts, and
replies in general as well as offers from some. The is now in the sky
at 7:16, but I watched it rise earlier as the star broke over the
horizon here in Buffalo on this late summer morning, actually first day
of Fall.

So here we are in autumn, leaves changing color and such. Maybe it is
time to travel to the animal shelter, find a friendly grey kitty...and
name her Merlin or a white and name him Gandalf.

Old September 24th 05, 06:19 PM
The Clowder

"Topaz" wrote:

snipped with regret - the newsserver insists

The news server insists?

It won't accept a post that has significantly more quoted than new
text.

Melissa

--
Remove the first m to reply
Old September 25th 05, 08:08 AM
No More Retail

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet
goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run
and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and
comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and
vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just
as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each
miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops
and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body
quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green
grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet,
you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy
kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and
you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from
your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
*** " And nothing but peace and the love of your Dear Friends"****

Author Unknown

This should be added ***
****"Always remember We will be there even if you can't see me. We are
always watching and Waiting. That cool puff of air you feel, that fleeting
touch , the feeling you have that I was walking across your bed, that moment
you swear you can hear us, that flicker of movement out of the corner of
your eye. Is just our way of saying I love you and I am with you always
even in the darkest time We Will Always Be there"***

Author
Matthew ( NO MORE RETAIL )

Old September 25th 05, 12:38 PM
Fred Williams

On $DATE , The Clowder (South wrote:

"Topaz" wrote:

snipped with regret - the newsserver insists

The news server insists?

It won't accept a post that has significantly more quoted than
new text.

Melissa

It is often the style in this newsgroup to quote much of what was
said before. Generally, elsewhere in Usenet, this is regarded as
poor style. If you really want to quote the previous text and you
don't have much to say, you can always add blank lines with the
carriage return, (ENTER button). I haven't tried it in a long
time, but it used to work. Bearing in mind that this message has
to be transmitted by many many computers around the world and a
lot of them are still on slow dial-up connections, but I guess
there are times when posters feel the need. I often just got
upset with news servers telling me what I could and could not
post. You can also politely complain to your ISP about it.

--
Regards,
Fred.