back from TED's

Old August 4th 06, 04:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Monique Y. Mudama

Default back from TED's

On 2006-08-04, Karen AKA Kajikit penned:

When I put my hand through the window I a tiny splinter of glass in
my palm and it didn't heal right - it kept on hurting and had a hard
lump so I was pretty sure that there was some glass still stuck in
there... sure enough, about six months later, out it came and my
hand instantly stopped hurting and got better.

I had something similar with several lumps of gravel in my palm.
There were tiny hard lumps in it for a couple of years. Eventually,
though, my body seemed to dissolve them. I'm guessing the body only
expells what it can't dissolve. In my case it only hurt when I
pressed my palm against a hard surface.

Oscar has my sympathies...

I'll tell her!

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old August 4th 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2006-08-04, Christine Burel penned:
Poor Oscar! I can't think of a good way to soak her paw but I surely wish
you all the luck and am sending purrs for you to be able to pull this one
off!
Christine

Thank you! We didn't try last night; for some reason my shorts caused
me extremely painful trouble on my mountain bike ride, so I spent the
evening pantsless and trying not to move. Owww. I bought some
Chamois Butt'r on the way home; never used the stuff before, but it's
worth a try. Anyway, hope to try soaking Oscar's paw this evening.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old August 4th 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2006-08-04, Marina penned:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

She likes to play the audience for pathos when the e-collar is on.
She flops herself down in one spot and stays there for hours, not
moving. Then on to another spot (somehow she finds the energy to
move to where the hoomins are gathered), flop.

LOL! Miranda did that when she had to wear the dreaded collar after
her spay.

They're such hams!

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old August 4th 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2006-08-04, Winnie penned:

You are welcome. Hope you have better luck with the leaning trick. I
didn' get into the tub with Rusty. I just grabbed his paw and held
it. Of course he struggled to free his paw from his mean Meowmie's
grip.

We shall see. Oscar has gotten much more resigned about having her
paw handled. At the vet's, I was even able to hold her belly-up on my
belly while the vet handled her paw. Oscar wasn't thrilled, but
suffered it to be done. Major change since this first started!

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old August 4th 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane

Cheryl Perkins wrote:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

There's no visible irritant. If there's anything there, it's deep under
the skin. The emergency vet a month ago was able to get some of it out,
but I asked this time, and there's no way to get it all out, even if
they had her in surgery.

This is different from a wood splinter or anything like that, where
there's a fairly large (yes, compared to fiberglass shards, large)
irritant. With some injuries, even in people, the particles are too
small and widely scattered to find and remove. My vet told me of a
person she knew who developed a lump in his leg that eventually
expelled a glass shard from an accident fifteen years before, when
he'd fallen through a pane of glass.

A nurse told me about this sort of thing happening in humans.

This happened to me when I had my wisdom teeth taken out. The dentist
shattered them with a drill and pulled the pieces out, but apparently
he missed one. A year later I was wandering a county fair and felt
something funny in the side of my jaw, so I worried it a bit with my
tongue and eventually pulled out a piece of tooth. A pretty big piece,
as I remember. Big enough to leave a hole in my jaw for a few days.

Jane
- owned and operated by Princess Rita

Old August 5th 06, 06:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

wrote:
Marina wrote:
Broad-leaved plantain, a common weed, at least over here,
(
http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/plantain.htm) will do that, too.

When I first saw that, I was thinking of plantains, the banana-like fruit.
Since that's tropical, I was amazed that such a plant would be common in
Finland! But then I looked at the photo and saw that, in fact, it is a
very common weed, and I used to see it all the time in Massachusetts. Haven't
seen it here (in California) that much, though, but that might just be
that I don't look at the ground as much as I did when I was growing up.

This is interesting, because I was actually the opposite. I knew that
those weeds were plantains (they're frequently mentioned in gardening
and wilderness survival guides), so the first time I saw the word on a
menu at a restaurant, I was disgusted!

Old August 6th 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

How did you like the Sherpa bag? I think it looks sturdier than the one
I got for Rusty.

Winnie

Old August 6th 06, 04:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2006-08-06, Winnie penned:

How did you like the Sherpa bag? I think it looks sturdier than the
one I got for Rusty.

I liked it much better than the carrier because, with its shoulder
strap and soft sides, I can carry it close to my body with less strain
and less worry of knocking Oscar into things or having the carrier tip
when she shifts weight. I can basically carry her like a gym bag.

That being said, it's a lot harder to get the zipper closed around her
than it was to close the two latches at the top of the carrier. The
bag is also much smaller, so she doesn't have as much room above.

It's not clear to me whether Oscar has an opinion on which is better.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully