The continuing Vet Tech Journals (long)

Old March 27th 05, 03:58 AM
Mischief

Default The continuing Vet Tech Journals (long)

Alrighty then.....

Aside from being busy with school, the springboard diving team and
getting strep throat, I'm still here.

As I've mentioned before, Mike has finally gotten his comeuppence.
This same guy who on several occasions has either left and not come
back, or not even shown up without a SINGLE phone call, the guy who has
made a ton of mistakes and still has managed to talk himself out of
getting fired, the guy who I wouldn't trust any farther than I could
throw him.......

*coughcough*

Mischief!!! Did you just cut one?? Ewwwwww!!!

(pause to spray air freshner)

Anyways, he finally got what was coming to him and has been fired.
Thank God. Now, the dizty one is still there, but like I've said,
she's young, and hasn't quite learned the full meaning of the word
"compromise" and from what I've heard she hated Mike too and is glad he
is gone. But she's the only person I don't get along with. But I just
avoid confronting her. If she wants something done a certain way, I'll
let her, unless it's obviously wrong. Hopefully one day she'll get
smacked upside the head while holding a dog and finally understand that
I'm not out to get her and there are other ways of doing things besides
HER way.

But of course, now we are short a vet tech, so I'm going to be pulling
extra hours to help out. Hey, I'll earn more money and brownie points
this way. I jsut hope I can still get my homework done. All the
work I had planned on doing during spring break I haven't done yet
because I was sick. (BTW, I didn't get to share what it was like to be
surgical assistant yet. But that's a long story and I'll post it when
I write my lab report)

It's Easter weekend and we are quite full of boarders. Here's a few.

Betsy showed up today. Betsy is a black DSH, with a mean attitude.
She's a red box kitty, which means 'handle at your own risk'
hehehehehe..... They tried and couldn't give her her vaccines today.

BTW, with all the things happening with Bandit, if Bandit was at my
clinic she would have a HUGE red box around her name.

Patty is a 15 pound tortie who doesn't like to be picked up, as I found
out yesterday. Su Ling is back, and is already voicing her discontent
at being locked up in cage.

Misty is a black DSH who seems nice and innocent with her cute meows,
but she flipped out as I was putting her back into her cage. I've got
4 new scratches on my right arm, not deep, but they hurt.

I'm still slightly sick, but I found out something this morning. Who
needs coffee when you've got a hyper golden retreiver? THAT will wake
you up.

We've got our collection of Spastic White Dogs. There's Cuddles, Pete,
and now Pete has a little friend Mitzie.
YAPYAPYAPYAPYAPYAPYAPYAPYAPYAPYAPYAP!!!!!

Angel is a big cocktiel that's boarding. She's in a cage right next to
all the cat cages in the treatment room.

Cute and funny, huh? Oh yeah? Have you ever heard a Cockatiel
screech? I mean REALLY SCREECH??

As I mentioned before I was pretty sick yesterday when I dragged myself
into work and the first thing I hear as I'm walking into treatment is
Angel SCREECHING at the top of her lungs.

I wonder if we can get worker's comp for ruptured eardrums?

Angel gets sooooo bad at times that we have to give her a timeout and
put her in one of the cages in the kennels with the dogs. Then we shut
the door and can hear her and the other dogs competing on who can make
the most noise. I even asked my supervisor, "You think Dr. C would get
mad at me if I put some ketamine in Angel's water?" She laughed.

We have a board where we list all the animals that have been put down
and I was very sad to find out yesterday that Morgan, a golden
retreiver that I really like had developed cancer and was put down on
Wed. She was so young too. I will miss her.

I also ended up helping with the euthanasia of an American Eskimo
today. Poor thing was diabetic and couldn't walk, and I had to take a
quick moment to gather myself after I took care of her body.

The worst part of today was the euth of an eight week old puppy. Pooh
Bear was a Toy Poodle puppy that had developed parvovirus and nothing
we were doing was helping. Poor thing......

I started feeling dizzy during my lunch break and went to lie down
after eating my lunch. I'm sure people here can relate to eating a
full meal, lying down to 'try' to relax, only to have a cat settle down
on your full stomach. ooooooooffff!!! Dang it, Pete!

I'm working the morning shift tomorrow at 8 am. It's holiday pay, but
I hope to go in, walk, feed and medicate all the animals and get out of
there so I can rest some more, since I start school up again on Monday.

Thanks for all your purrs,

Kristi

Old March 27th 05, 09:09 AM
Yoj

Thanks for posting, Kristi. I always enjoy your journals, although I don't
often comment.

I have often felt that working in a vet's office must be difficult, often
rewarding and sometimes heartbreaking. Your journals confirm this, and this
one is a classic. I'm sure that being convalescent (except, doesn't that
mean still taking it easy as you finish recovering?) makes the difficult
parts even more so. Of course the fact that you're going to school doesn't
help either.

I admire anyone who is dedicated enough to do this, because I doubt if I
could deal with the difficult patients and the heartbreak. It obviously
takes someone with a real love of animals and a lot of character to do it.
In other words, I admire you!

Joy

oups.com...

Old March 27th 05, 09:54 AM
O J

Joy wrote:

I have often felt that working in a vet's office must be difficult, often
rewarding and sometimes heartbreaking. Your journals confirm this, and this
one is a classic. I'm sure that being convalescent (except, doesn't that
mean still taking it easy as you finish recovering?) makes the difficult
parts even more so. Of course the fact that you're going to school doesn't
help either.

I admire anyone who is dedicated enough to do this, because I doubt if I
could deal with the difficult patients and the heartbreak. It obviously
takes someone with a real love of animals and a lot of character to do it.
In other words, I admire you!

Couldn't have said it better! Goes for me too!

Regards and Purrs,
O J
Old March 27th 05, 01:31 PM
hobbs

Goes for me too! I couldn't bear it, I cry so easily over animals,
I sometimes think I shouldn't be readingthe news groups, I'm hopeless
Jean.P.

om...

Old March 27th 05, 08:18 PM
polonca12000

Lots and lots of purrs and best wishes for the antibiotics to make you well
again really soon, since you don't have time to be sick
Hugs,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"Mischief" wrote in message
[...]