Help rescue-workers save pets

Old February 14th 04, 12:07 PM
CK

Default Help rescue-workers save pets

I just picked up this link on the Finnish cat ng.
http://www.helsinginsanomat.fi/tuore.../1076151926858

The link leads to the Helsinki newspaper - Helsingin Sanomat - site,
which unfortunately is all in Finnish, but here's the gist of the
article (*very* rough translation):

The City of Helsinki Rescue Department has provided pet stores and vets'
offices with stickers that say that there are pets living in the
apartment. This free sticker should be fastened to the front door in
case of a fire, so that rescue workers can take the pets into account too.

Pets often die of the gases caused by a fire in an apartment, as they
try to excape the flames under beds or sofas or other places where they
are difficult to see or reach. When the rescue workers have advance
knowledge of the fact that there's a pet living in the apartment, the
pet is rescued faster, the City Rescue Department informs.

30,000 of these ten centimeters (4 inches) wide stickers are being
distributed. They can be obtained from about 40 locations in Helsinki.
(end of *very* rough translation)

This would be a great idea for pet owners everywhere, not just in
Helsinki, don't you think? One could make an individual sticker or sign,
maybe even with a photo of the pet, so that the rescue workers know what
they're looking for - a hard to find black cat or a big white fuzzy d*g.

--
Christine in Vantaa, Finland
christal63 (at) yahoo (dot) com
Old February 14th 04, 01:26 PM

CK wrote:

This would be a great idea for pet owners everywhere, not just in
Helsinki, don't you think? One could make an individual sticker or sign,
maybe even with a photo of the pet, so that the rescue workers know what
they're looking for - a hard to find black cat or a big white fuzzy d*g.

The SPCA makes them here, and I've got one on my front door and another on
my back door. When I put them up, 3 years ago, I made a point of writing
"CURRENT AS OF 2001" on them, so no firefighters would think they were just
old stickers. Of course, now they're 3 years old and in fact, they are out
of date, because they say I have *two* cats. Time for new ones! Thanks for
the reminder.

Joyce
Old February 14th 04, 01:57 PM
lewe

CK skrev i
diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:CjnXb.107$di6.17@read 3.inet.fi...
| I just picked up this link on the Finnish cat ng.
| http://www.helsinginsanomat.fi/tuore.../1076151926858

| This would be a great idea for pet owners everywhere, not just in
| Helsinki, don't you think? One could make an individual sticker or sign,
| maybe even with a photo of the pet, so that the rescue workers know what
| they're looking for - a hard to find black cat or a big white fuzzy d*g.

it certainly is a good idea, it is not that common to see stickers like that
on front door here in Sweden.
I have one that I got at a cat show thing - they usually sell lots of good
stuff you don't normally find at pet stores, for example the wonderful
German clothes brush which is a great gift to keepers of furry pets -
I adjusted the sticker slightly to indicate there are in fact 2 cats living
here
I have yet to se some kind of information from the rescue services here
about this kind of thing

I'm always on the lookout for something to be used for emergency
transportation of cats, so far I have not found anything that would be
better than a couple of pillow cases. This is to keep handy for a quick
get-away, the big boxy cage thing I normally take the cats in could be
clumsy in an emergency.
--
lewe
lewemi at yahoo dot se | cat pics: photos.yahoo.com/lewemi

Old February 14th 04, 02:30 PM
polonca12000

What a great idea!
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

snip This would be a great idea for pet owners everywhere, not just in

Old February 14th 04, 07:11 PM
MaryL

"CK" wrote in message
I just picked up this link on the Finnish cat ng.
http://www.helsinginsanomat.fi/tuore.../1076151926858

The link leads to the Helsinki newspaper - Helsingin Sanomat - site,
which unfortunately is all in Finnish, but here's the gist of the
article (*very* rough translation):

The City of Helsinki Rescue Department has provided pet stores and vets'
offices with stickers that say that there are pets living in the
apartment. This free sticker should be fastened to the front door in
case of a fire, so that rescue workers can take the pets into account too.

--
Christine in Vantaa, Finland
christal63 (at) yahoo (dot) com
photos: http://photos.yahoo.com/christal63

I have something similar. Also, I have seen recommendations that signs like
this should be posted on the refrigerator. According to the article (and I
can't remember now where I saw it), firefighters are trained to look on the
refrigerator door for emergency information.

MaryL

Old February 14th 04, 09:23 PM
CK

MaryL wrote:

"CK" wrote in message
The City of Helsinki Rescue Department has provided pet stores and vets'
offices with stickers that say that there are pets living in the
apartment. This free sticker should be fastened to the front door in
case of a fire, so that rescue workers can take the pets into account too.

I have something similar. Also, I have seen recommendations that signs like
this should be posted on the refrigerator. According to the article (and I
can't remember now where I saw it), firefighters are trained to look on the
refrigerator door for emergency information.

That makes sense, as that's often where people put emergency info for
their kids to find, phone numbers and such, why not firefighters too.

Old February 19th 04, 02:24 AM
JP Hobbs

A great Idea Its so sad when everyone is rescued except their beloved
pet, and it must be one of the worst deaths I hate to think of it Jean. P.