cross-country move with cat--help!

Old December 7th 04, 06:08 PM
zeldabee

Default cross-country move with cat--help!

I'm moving from NYC to Oregon in about a month. Background: I'm a single
mom with a 15-month-old (and a cat). Can't pay my bills in NYC, so I'm
moving west to stay with family. Just to complicate things, my mother's in
hospice in Virginia, so I'm probably going to have to leave from NY and go
down there, deal with stuff, then go out to OR. Think, major huge
family-crisis crunch time.

I want to bring my cat. The thought of leaving her behind is more than I
can bear. Money is tight. I'm looking for a good solution for traveling
with her. I will be flying. I've done some research, but I'm coming up with
contradictory answers. Maybe someone here has direct experience with some
of these issues.

When I was flying back from VA last week (on Delta), I saw a guy with a
small dog in a carrier on the plane, and I asked him how much they charged.
He said nothing--Delta and USAirways don't charge extra for animals as
carry-on. I went to both of those web sites, and at least officially, they
do charge $80-100. So. I can cough that up if necessary, though of course
I'd rather not. Does anyone have experience with this? Some airlines
charging extra and some not?

Also, has anyone had experience with companies that ship pets? If I can
send her to OR, she could stay with family members until I get out there. I
have no clue how much they charge, or whether they're safe to use.

Lastly, I understand from some sources that i'll need a health certificate
from her. The thing is, I don't have her vaccination records available to
me. I adopted her from a rescue organization last year, and they gave me
vax papers for her, but I don't know where they might be. I may come up
with them when I go through stuff to pack, but I may not. Is there any
consequence to re-vaxing her?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m http://NewsReader.Com/
Old December 8th 04, 02:03 AM
cdchap911

as for the health certificate the rescue agency should have a copy of any
vaccinations they did and then you will probably have to get a certificate
signed from a vet also. be thankful you arent shipping her to hawaii. my
friend took 4 cats over...and had to jump through a whole lot of hoops like
tests sent to a company in texas and vet papers and 1 month confined at the
airport to make real darn sure that despite all the papers saying the cats
were healthy ....they really were (and of course the per day cost to hold
them was huge). good luck i only have 1 cat out of 5 that doesnt go apes*
when taken in the car so you may want to talk to vet about a mild sedative
ahead of time

Old December 9th 04, 05:04 AM

No experience with any of these companys but if you check out
www.meowhoo.com, then look under Specialized Pet Services, you'll see
there are 16 listings under Pet Transport. Perhaps one of these will
be of use. Good Luck.

Old December 16th 04, 08:29 PM
Zythophile

"zeldabee" wrote in message

snip

When I was flying back from VA last week (on Delta), I saw a guy with a
small dog in a carrier on the plane, and I asked him how much they
charged.

I don't know how long the flight is, but before thinking about this option,
you might want to consider how well your cat travels. One of mine is a very
poor traveller. When I lived about 10 km from the vet, taking her for her
vaccinations was an experience. Without going into gory detail, after about
a mile, I'd be driving with the windows and sunroof open, regardless of the
weather, tears streaming down my face and trying to breathe through my
mouth. If your cat has a similar constitution, you might not be very popular
with your fellow passengers!

BTW, good luck.