Is it wrong to want another purebred?

Old April 5th 05, 03:00 PM
Steve G

kaeli wrote:

Dogs can be dangerous (to humans).

So?
An awful lot of people don't want someone else's cats on their

property.

You asked "I STILL want to know why people think cats should be able to
roam,
but have no problems with dog leash laws...". I suggested this is
partially because dogs can be dangerous (to humans).

You are now arguing that cats should have leash laws, or that free
roaming cats provide their own inconveniences for others. This can
indeed be argued, but it has nowt to do with my answer!

I don't think anyone has been killed
or injured by a free-roaming cat.

I would highly doubt they were attacked by one out of the blue, but

anything
with teeth can bite.

Could get hit by a stray turd from the international space station.
Wear a hat.

Steve.

Old April 5th 05, 03:12 PM
Steve G

Mary wrote:
(...)

"BrandY" does not have me killfiled that I know of.

OK. One loses track. So many killfiles, so few deaths.

Meanwhile, why do you think "Brandy" argues that cats ought to be
left unsupervised outside when she keeps her own inside?

I'm loath to speak for anyone, but could it be she thinks that cats
should have outdoor access when it's safe to allow them this? And she
lives somewhere where she thinks it is not safe to allow 'em out?

Steve.

Old April 5th 05, 03:22 PM
Steve G

Mary wrote:
(...)

Nonsense. I read what you posed, and the "rule" you referred to was
simply your opinion. Idiot.

Let's do this as a game show.

HOST: For 5 points, what was the 'rule' referred to in this part of the
thread?
MARY: Was it that purebred cats are made of concrete?
HOST: Bzzzzt. No, the 'rule' was that moggies are generally a sound
genetic bet.

Now, for 3 points - what was the exception to the rule?

MARY: Was it ... hmm ... some moggies are transparent in ultraviolet
light?
HOST: Close. In fact the exception to the rule, as per Orchid and
Sherry's posts, was that - some moggies have poor genetic health (e.g.,
Orchid's moggy).

So, one last chance. 'The exception proves the rule, but the rule
remains intact'. What is meant by this phrase?

MARY: Erm. Some persian cats are made of tin?
HOST: Alas, no. The meaning is that although some moggies have poor
genetic health, that some of 'em are genetically unsound does not mean
that most mogs are genetically unsound.

Anyway, let's see what you could've won...ah a lovely set of pinking
shears and an orange. Shame, shame.

Steve.

Old April 5th 05, 03:29 PM
Steve G

Mary wrote:
(...)
When you accused me of backpedaling, I was not wrong.

We're not so green we're cabbage-looking.

Steve.

Old April 5th 05, 03:54 PM
Steve G

Mary wrote:
(...)

Yes indeed. And we all know that if Ashley says it, it is true!
She has a vast knowledge base.

She lives in NZ. We do not. This gives her more weight when commenting
on NZ.

S.

Old April 5th 05, 03:57 PM
-L.

Steve G wrote:
snip

Anyway, let's see what you could've won...ah a lovely set of pinking
shears and an orange. Shame, shame.

LOL...For some reason this stuck me as exceptionally funny this AM.
Thanks.

-L.

Old April 5th 05, 04:24 PM
ceb

kaeli wrote in
:

In article ,
enlightened us with...

I worried/worry about this too -- I know I would feel absolutely
horrible if something happened to Rosalie outside, or if something
had happened to Madeline. But I balance that fear with the knowledge
that their lives would be much less happy if they couldn't go out.

If I had a house, I'd have someone build a large enclosed cat run with
a cat door (or ramp from a window) for my cats. They could go out, be
in the grass, chase bugs and such, but still be safe.

I am going to fence in my yard as soon as I can afford to, and will put
some of that cat fencing on top of the fence. Hopefully that will be
pretty soon.

I live in a condo right next to a busy road. I can't let mine roam.
They'd be road pizza, probably sooner rather than later.

I think it's not helpful to compare cats with small children.

They ARE my furry children, really. I don't have, nor do I want,
children of my own. So I have furry kids. And like children, it is my
responsibility to protect them because they cannot make informed
decisions of their own. I'm not saying they aren't smart. I know some
cats that I think are smarter than some adult humans.

I didn't mean to imply that we shouldn't CARE about cats as we care about
children, I meant that comparisons between cats and humans based on each
one's capacity for autonomy are not helpful. I love Rosalie as a family
member, too. But she is better at protecting herself than my friend's 3
year old daughter is. I don't think it's true that she is "equivalent" to
a toddler -- that's the comparison that isn't helpful, IMO.

Like Madeline before her, I have never seen Rosalie go near the road,
and she runs and hides from other cats, dogs, and people.

So does Rowan, and so did I when I was a kid. LOL
But a scared cat running from a dog or person is a cat that might dart
in front of a car. Which is exactly what Rowan would do if she wasn't
leashed. I know because I've had to stop her (good thing she was on
lead!!). I don't know what it's like where you live; I can only speak
of my own area. And my area is totally unsafe for cats to roam
off-lead.

I have lived in places where my cat couldn't go out at all -- I'm not
trying to convince you that you should let your cat out. I'm just giving
my reasons and trying to explain that one can love their pets as family
members and yet have a differing view on this subject.

--
Catherine
& Rosalie the calico
Old April 5th 05, 05:08 PM
ceb

"Steve G" wrote in
oups.com:

Not sure if raccoons are much of a risk to cats
anyway?

One of my friends came into her kitchen one day to find one of her cats
sitting next to a raccoon who had come in through the cat door. They were
just sitting there. I believe the raccoon had already eaten all the cat
food by that time.

Of course, a rabid raccoon could be more of a problem.

--
Catherine
& Zoe & Queenie