Food recommendations-PHIL

Old April 5th 05, 06:38 PM
---MIKE---

Default Food recommendations-PHIL

Phil, you recommended several super market foods recently. Were they
regular Friskies or Fancy Feast (or both)?

---MIKE---

Old April 5th 05, 11:15 PM
---MIKE---

Because of all the selfish idiots keeping the "purebred" thread going
(and off topic at that), I have to repeat this to get it where Phil can
see it.

---MIKE---

Old April 6th 05, 12:34 AM
Joe Canuck

---MIKE--- wrote:

Because of all the selfish idiots keeping the "purebred" thread going
(and off topic at that), I have to repeat this to get it where Phil can
see it.

---MIKE---

The link below will take you to a Google Groups search of this newsgroup
with the most recent posts by Phil containing either "Friskies" or
"Fancy" in order by most recent date.

http://tinyurl.com/6o647

According to the first post returned, Phil indicates "Fancy Feast" was
surprisingly good. Apparently Purina have done some reformulation.

Old April 6th 05, 01:07 AM
Phil P.

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
Phil, you recommended several super market foods recently. Were they
regular Friskies or Fancy Feast (or both)?

Sorry, Mike.

To answer your question - Fancy Feast for owned cats and Friskies high
volume shelter feeding - that doesn't imply Friskies is bad, just not as
good as Fancy Feast. - I know, I know. I was just as surprised as you are.
Since the Purina/Nestles merge, Purina has reformulated and vastly improved
the Fancy Feast and Friskies line. Fancy Feast also now uses *fixed*
formulas to compound their diets - I forgot to ask about Friskies. I know,
I know - I had to smack myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming or
hallucinating.

In the Fancy Feast Grilled Chicken In Gravy, and Grilled Turkey in Gravy, 4
of the first 5 ingredients are meat. The Sliced Beef and Mince Beef have the
lowest phosphorus levels - 0.75% DMB.

Here are a few excepts from my previous posts:

Seems funny calling Fancy Feast junk food, now, doesn't it? I still can't
believe I can honestly recommend it - but I do! Many of the diets contain
more protein, less phosphorus, more meat products and less plant material
than Wellness! Ain't that a hoot!

These are about the best:

Sliced Beef and Minced Beef are the lowest Pi - 0.75% DMB.

Grilled Chicken in Gravy - Pi - 0.84% DMB
Grilled Beef in Gravy ----- Pi - 0.88% DMB
Grilled Turkey in Gravy -- Pi - 0.89% DMB

12% protein and a 78% moisture content translates into about 54.5% protein
DMB. 11% protein translates into 49.94% protein DMB. The "As Fed" moisture
content is actually 77% in several diets. Plus the meat products are USDA.
None of the 8 diets I was interested in had phosphorus levels over 0.89%
DMB - Minced Beef and Sliced Beef are 0.75% Pi and 54% Protein DMB.

I had to try Fancy Feast as a last resort for one of my recupes with HL, so,
I wanted to know how 'bad' the food would really be for him... The next step
was a feeding tube. Man, I was floored when I heard the nutrient levels!
They sounded too good to be true so I called back the next day and spoke to
a different person in a different department and got the same figures.

You'll find the posts in

" How to encourage cat for dry food"

" Cheap cat food, Nutrition Differences"

Phil

Old April 6th 05, 01:47 AM
Slimpickins

***This is very good to hear. I fed (my now deceased) "Blue" Fancy Feast for
a good 15 years ( of his 19 1/2 year old life). It was the *only* cat food
he would regularly and consistently eat, and that matters greatly when you
have a very picky eater. Thanks for sharing this info,.. to both of you.

ML

Old April 6th 05, 01:43 PM
ElvisRocks

My spoiled ones have only eaten FF for years. The paws-down favorite
has always been Chunky Chicken. I had heard before that
FF was too high in fat and wasn't good for them. That is good to hear.
Carol