PINK?!

Old April 3rd 16, 04:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default PINK?!

For some reason this morning Buffy is very vocal. When giving her
scritches I noticed her ears and her paw pads seem exceptionally
brighter pink. (She's an orange tabby.) She isn't usually this chatty,
either.

I just noticed this much brighter shade of pink. I've tried looking up
these symptoms online. No conclusions.

She's not been exposed to anything out of the ordinary, AFAIK. She's an
indoor cat and I don't think anything has gotten indoors (this time)
that I'm not aware of. Eating, drinking, playing, using the litter box
and snoozing as usual.

I've just never seen her ears or paw pads that bright shade of pink
before. The only time I did see ears that bright pink was when Persia
(RB 2014) was allergic to the tapazole medication for hyperthyroid.
Buffy isn't on any medication. I can't think of a single thing in the
house she might be suddenly allergic to.

Maybe someone here has encountered something like this? BTW, it's not
"vet time". It's Sunday, and Buffy is not acting as if she's ill.
She's talking a lot, which is a bit odd. But she's not crying, if you
know what I mean.

Jill
Old April 3rd 16, 07:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default No More Pink! (WAS: PINK?!)

On 4/3/2016 11:43 AM, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

The slightly alarming bright pink Buffy's ears and paw pads faded back
to normal. What an odd occurence!

Jill
Old April 4th 16, 01:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

For some reason this morning Buffy is very vocal. When giving her
scritches I noticed her ears and her paw pads seem exceptionally
brighter pink. (She's an orange tabby.) She isn't usually this
chatty, either.

The slightly alarming bright pink Buffy's ears and paw pads faded
back to normal. What an odd occurence!

Had she been eating fish?

I'm thinking of a reaction to histamine and other neuroactive amines
in food - a.k.a. scombrotoxin poisoning. Not very dangerous despite
the scary name. The symptoms are like an allergy but it isn't one.
Whether a particular batch of fish contains enough amines to cause
the syndrome is not really predictable.

Old April 4th 16, 02:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 4/3/2016 8:45 PM, Jack Campin wrote:
For some reason this morning Buffy is very vocal. When giving her
scritches I noticed her ears and her paw pads seem exceptionally
brighter pink. (She's an orange tabby.) She isn't usually this
chatty, either.

The slightly alarming bright pink Buffy's ears and paw pads faded
back to normal. What an odd occurence!

Had she been eating fish?

I'm thinking of a reaction to histamine and other neuroactive amines
in food - a.k.a. scombrotoxin poisoning. Not very dangerous despite
the scary name. The symptoms are like an allergy but it isn't one.
Whether a particular batch of fish contains enough amines to cause
the syndrome is not really predictable.

No, I don't often feed her fish. Her canned diet consists of chicken,
turkey and beef. Occasionally she gets salmon but not in the last week.

The bright pink was an odd and thankfully short lived occurrence. I
have no idea what she might have been exposed to that made her react
like that. It was odd, to say the least.

Jill
Old April 14th 16, 03:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tigger

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Of interest:

http://pets.thenest.com/cat-pink-paws-mean-10997.html

Pododermatitis

If Ginger's paw pads have suddenly turned pink or purplish, take a good
look at them. Look for signs such as redness or swelling, small solid
masses, discharge or inflammation of the tissue around her nail. Although
unusual, a cat's paws can become inflamed from a condition known as
pododermatitis, otherwise known as pillow foot. Pododermatitis is often
caused by fungal, bacterial or parasitic infections, although other causes
can include cancer, poor grooming, depressed thyroid levels and
environmental irritants.

Probably wasn't pododermatitis, but might have been some slight irritation
from walking on something.

Old April 15th 16, 09:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 4/14/2016 10:49 AM, Tigger wrote:
jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Interesting, thanks! Would this condition make her ears turn bright
pink, too?

Jill

Pink Will Granby Cat anecdotes 6 August 12th 08 12:12 PM
Pretty in Pink Yowie Cat anecdotes 25 July 8th 08 03:52 AM
Pink Cat Kate Cat anecdotes 19 September 8th 05 05:42 AM
Li'l pink sock Marina Cat anecdotes 22 December 22nd 04 08:20 PM
Pink Cat Bev Cat anecdotes 21 November 12th 03 10:49 AM