i was wondering how good authority was

Old August 22nd 03, 06:08 AM
Laura

Default i was wondering how good authority was

hi
I currently have 3 cats, 1 elder cat and 2 kittens, right now they are on
authority and I have to buy some more tomorrow and i was wondering if it was
one of the better foods. I work at a large chain pet store and would like
to stick with the brands they sell which you may know are, Authroity, Nutro,
Science diet, Iams, Pro plan and i think that's it for the premium foods,
there may be more but i don't work in the cat area so i'm not sure. I have
heard fromt he people who work in that area that Nutro is good, but they
don't always seem know what they are doing since there are a few fairly new
ones. Any insight would bet great.
Thanks
Lauralai

Old August 22nd 03, 07:07 AM

Laura wrote:
one of the better foods. I work at a large chain pet store and would like
to stick with the brands they sell which you may know are, Authroity, Nutro,
Science diet, Iams, Pro plan and i think that's it for the premium foods,

Heh, I already know what chain you work at (I work there too as well as a
vet receptionist). Authority gave it away .

Authority is their store brand by the way so you will only find it there.
Not sure how it stacks up to the major brand premium brands but I'd
prefer it over Cat Chow or Friskies.

Alice

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.
Old August 22nd 03, 07:07 AM

Laura wrote:
one of the better foods. I work at a large chain pet store and would like
to stick with the brands they sell which you may know are, Authroity, Nutro,
Science diet, Iams, Pro plan and i think that's it for the premium foods,

Heh, I already know what chain you work at (I work there too as well as a
vet receptionist). Authority gave it away .

Authority is their store brand by the way so you will only find it there.
Not sure how it stacks up to the major brand premium brands but I'd
prefer it over Cat Chow or Friskies.

Alice

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
|\ _,,,---,,_ Tigress
/,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ http://havoc.gtf.gatech.edu/tigress
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.
Old August 23rd 03, 02:33 PM
Sherry

I was using Authority a month or so ago. The canned food is pretty good
- no by products at all - just meat and the usual vitamins and such.
Even better than Nutro in this respect. I cannot say the same for the
dry food - Nutro is better.

The thing that bugs me about Authority is that nowhere on the bag is listed the
manufacturer that holds the contract from Petsmart to make the food. Also, what
*exactly* is a byproduct?

Sherry

Old August 24th 03, 02:32 AM
rrb_041303

Sherry wrote:
I was using Authority a month or so ago. The canned food is pretty good
- no by products at all - just meat and the usual vitamins and such.
Even better than Nutro in this respect. I cannot say the same for the
dry food - Nutro is better.

The thing that bugs me about Authority is that nowhere on the bag is listed the
manufacturer that holds the contract from Petsmart to make the food. Also, what
*exactly* is a byproduct?

Sherry

I don't know about the dry food but the canned Authority said they were
distributed by the Authority Pet Foods Company, and that it was a
product of Canada. I think an address of the distributor was on the cans
but I no longer have any so I can't tell you what it is.

This is the definition of by products I found:

Meat By-Products/Beef By-Products/Lamb By-Products
The clean parts derived from mammals. It may include lungs, spleen,
kidneys, brain, liver, blood, bones, stomach and intestines. It does not
include hair, horns, teeth or hooves. If from a particular source it may
state so (i.e. beef by-products, lamb by-products). A good source of
protein, and fat

Poultry By-Product Meal/Chicken By-Product Meal
The dry rendered product from poultry parts including flesh, skin, bone,
heads, feet or entrails. Does not contain feathers. If from a particular
source it may state so (i.e. chicken by-product meal, turkey by-product
meal etc). A good source of protein, fat, calcium and phosphorus.

Poultry By-Products/Chicken By-Products
The clean parts of poultry including bone, heads, feet or entrails. Does
not contain feathers. If from a particular source it may state so (i.e.
chicken by-products, turkey by-products). A good source of protein, and
fat.

rrb

Old August 24th 03, 02:54 AM
Sherry

I don't know about the dry food but the canned Authority said they were
distributed by the Authority Pet Foods Company, and that it was a
product of Canada. I think an address of the distributor was on the cans
but I no longer have any so I can't tell you what it is.

But, would the "distributor" be the same company that actually manufactures the
food? That's what I was wondering. Which pet food company actually *makes* it.
I did ask a Petsmart employee, and was told Petsmart contracts out for the
manufacturing of the food. (But then, who knows how knowledgeable this person
was)
This is the definition of by products I found:

(snipped for brevity)

Thanks for the info.; I was wondering whether hooves, etc. could be classified
as "byproduct." It actually sounds to me like "byproducts" aren't such a bad
thing. Just because we find kidneys, brain, stomach, etc. distasteful really
doesn't mean they aren't a good source of protein and other essentials for the
cat, no?

Sherry

Old August 24th 03, 06:22 PM
Sherry

At one time Purina had the contract for Authority, I believe that
Doans currently holds that contract. Doans is the fourth or fifth
largest pet food manufacturer in the US. They produce dozens of
different labels for various retail organizations. I believe they also
currently have the contract for Wal-Marts products as well.

Thanks, Steve. So the makers of Authority are possibly the same who manufacture
Ol' Roy and Special Kitty. Hmm. Doesn't inspire much confidence in the product,
although I know the formulas are different.

Sherry