Vet Visit today, possible BW

Old October 25th 03, 08:10 PM
Larry Osborne

Default Vet Visit today, possible BW

My pair of cats, Smudge ( captain or her royal highness ) and Peepers (
recreation officer or humble serf ) both of whom reached their 5th year this
August went to the vet today for their annual checkup. Smudge was also
going in for a shot but Peepers didn't need one. ( Peepers had reacted
badly with his initial shots as a kitten and needed emergency treatment to
recover so it took a few years for me to get back to getting him
immunized.).

The day started pretty normally and stayed that way until it was time to get
them into the carrier to go to the vet. I closed the door to the bedroom to
close off all of the best hiding spots. Peepers was out on the balcony so I
closed the door to keep him out there where I knew where he was.

Now was cat catching time. Rip off the towel off the carrier and open the
carrier and go for target one, Smudge.

Smudge knew something was seriously wrong when the bedroom door was closed
and when the balcony door was closed and the carrier monster uncovered and
open she knew exactly what was wrong. Off the flies to the hiding room,
OOPS the door is closed and the lumbering human is in sight and reaching.
She feints to one side and zips through on the other with her human hardly
able to touch let alone grasp her. Dart back into the living room, her
human is still coming and, oh no, can't hide behind the furniture, he just
overturns it. After a couple of feints, she weaves past her pursuing human
and goes back to the bedroom. OOPS, forgot it was closed, Human too close,
oh no caught (or thoughts very like that ) must fight for my freedom. I
struggled and got over to the carrier with her and with great difficuly and
a cat who seemed to have grown extra strengh and limbs managed to get her in
and the door closed. I turned the carrier on end so that the door was on
top and moved toward the balcony door for cat 2, Peepers.

Peepers, who had been at the balcony door, and seen the chase and and his
sister fed to the carrier monster had backed away from the door but stay on
his rear legs so that he could see in. When I moved to the balcony door he
moved most of the way towards one end of the balcony and tried to melt into
the concrete. I guess hoping he wouldn't be seen, but a black and tan long
haired tabby shows up really well on grey concrete in the daylight even if
the light was dim from the overcast of prerain clouds covering the entire
sky. I went over to him and he tried to hunker down further but decided to
try to run past me but I got him on first pass. Now he doesn't like being
held and will wait to use the first opportunity to escape. Opened the door
to go back in and at this first opportunity he tried to get away but failed
so wait for a second opportunity. I stepped over to the carrier opened it
and shoved him in despite him having grown several new limbs and super cat
speed and power, or so it seemed. Smudge was upset briefly with him as his
body going in had prevented her escape attempt. I put the carrier in the
proper position and got ready to leave the apartment to the accompaniement
of plaintive pleas (meows) coming from the prisoners er patients.

After a talk with my next door neighbour who somehow hadn't realized that I
had a cat, I got the much heavier than usual carrier into the elevator and
went down. When I reached the street, there was a pigeon convention or
party as it appeared someone had left a couple of dozen stale kaisers. I
put the carrier down for a bit for the cats to enjoy the sight but only
Smudge came forward and only half heartedly to watch. Things from here went
quietly from here and after a while I reached the vets office via Toronto
Transit buses - the King St trolley line had a problem somewhere and buses
were running there as well.

The vet had a new set of kittens for adoption (they take in unwanted kittens
from customers and keep them to a proper age for adoptiona and also get some
kittens from rescue groups I believe). I had to tell myself over and over,
1 human and 2 cats in a small apartment is as crowded as it can get,
fortunately that was enough this time. Kitten fever can be a very tough
disease to avoid giving in to - especially as they always look so cute.

Smudge was weighed and at 6.34 Kg we had to discuss a feeding strategy that
I could use with the cats and their very different preferred eating habits.
She should weigh in with her frame between 4.5 and 5 Kg. ( 1 Kg =2.2 lb.).
She was given her shot which she clearly didn't like and was allowed to roam
the office while Peepers was examined as she clearly didn't want to go back
into the carrier. She found a wooden chair to sit behind with a view out
onto the street through a low window.

Peepers weighed in at 5.82 Kg and while ever so slightly over his right
weight for his frame his weight was ok Sort of glad to see him finally at
weight as he has always come in underweight in prior years. Despite needing
treatment in May he seems to be doing well overall.

They are starting to show signs that they may need dental cleaning next year
though. The vet suggested a chewable treat that handles tartar
enzymatically, I will need to check out the price as both cats reacted as if
they would like the sample that I got.

Check up done and now to get cats back into the carrier. Peepers was glad
to go back in but Smudge hissed at me good and hard when I went to get her
but while she fought against going back into the carrier, it felt more for
show than her full fight mode.

When we got back, I put the carrier back where it usually is, put a towel on
it, opened the balcony doors, put my coat away, and went back to let the now
anxious cats out and see what kind of reaction I was going to see. Smudge,
hisses at Peepers and come out slowly with Peepers just behind. Peepers
gets hissed at again.
Smudge has decided that Peepers is going to take a hit again for her going
to the vet. It is not nearly as vehement as usual, although it may be
because she is the only one who actually had anything more than just being
weighed and poked and otherwise kneaded. Smudge decided that her human
needed punishing and so went into hiding for an hour before coming out and
insisting on the same treatment that Peepers was getting (some play and
petting). She didn't really want to play though - petting was enough.
Check out the Peepers imposter again and hiss at him again. This is a mild
hissyfit though and I suspect that she may be over it by the end of the day
rather than take a couple of days to do so.

Vet visits are so restful after they are over. Must start getting ready for
next year.

Larry Osborne

Old October 25th 03, 08:46 PM
polonca12000

Hugs for you, Larry, I'm tired just reading about it.
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"Larry Osborne" wrote in message
My pair of cats, Smudge ( captain or her royal highness ) and Peepers (
recreation officer or humble serf ) both of whom reached their 5th year

this
August went to the vet today for their annual checkup. snip

Old October 25th 03, 10:03 PM
Steve Touchstone

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 15:10:39 -0400, "Larry Osborne"
wrote:

[...]

sounds like a pretty uneventful TED. Glad things went well, even if
Smudge may be in for a little change in diet. Little Bit is right on
the edge of being put on a diet. She should weigh a couple tenths of a
pound less, but she did lose a tenth from last year so I'm not doing
anything about it for now.

I used to always carry the two girls in the same carrier, but bought a
second carrier this year. I figured it would work well, since they can
then be weighed inside the carrier, but the girls hate the idea
judging from their cries. When they're in the same carrier they're
pretty quiet, but separated they call back and forth, no doubt
wondering what sort of horrible things are happening. I actually had
someone roll down their window and call to ask if the cats were all
right when stopped at an intersection. LOL
--
Steve Touchstone,
remove Junk for email
Old October 25th 03, 11:54 PM
m. L. Briggs

wrote:

[...]

That was lots of fun! What is the name of the dental treat? MLB
Old October 26th 03, 01:25 AM
Larry Osborne

wrote:

[...]

As these things go it was a pretty uneventful trip. The fun or irritation
was in getting them into the carrier and the hissing by Smudge at poor
Peepers. She does appear to have quit though. I gues she can't keep up a 3
day hissyfit when Peepers really doesn't have any special medical scent on
him.

Larry Osborne

Old October 26th 03, 01:27 AM

Steve Touchstone wrote:

I used to always carry the two girls in the same carrier, but bought a
second carrier this year. I figured it would work well, since they can
then be weighed inside the carrier, but the girls hate the idea
judging from their cries. When they're in the same carrier they're
pretty quiet, but separated they call back and forth, no doubt
wondering what sort of horrible things are happening.

Yeah, I always carry Roxy and Smudge in the same carrier, if they're
going to TED together. I have a large carrier that will fit both of
them easily. They are definitely quieter when they're together, and
I assume it's because it's comforting for them to have each other.

I actually had
someone roll down their window and call to ask if the cats were all
right when stopped at an intersection. LOL

That must have been embarrassing!

Joyce
Old October 26th 03, 01:30 AM
Larry Osborne

wrote:

[...]

I was supposed to check on the price on my way out but rushed out instead.
I just can't remember the name. It looks like a rolled yellowish log about
an inch long (2.5 cm). I am sorry about that. I will call back to them on
Monday and if no one has figured out the name of these treats by then I will
post it. See if I can find a web site too as they are likely to be cheaper
on them than at the vets. They are rather large as treats go but I think
the size is to force a lot of chewing as well as releasing the enzyme.

Larry Osborne.

Old October 26th 03, 05:27 AM
Marina

"Larry Osborne" wrote

snip hilarious recount

Vet visits are so restful after they are over. Must start getting ready

for
next year.

Larry, you have described exactly what it is like to take two cats in the
same carrier to the vet's. My only addition is that Frank always gives a
rendering of his hit single "Look at How My Hoomin Tortures Me" on the bus,
and when they are allowed back in their carrier at the vet's, they both
slink back in like it's their favourite place on Earth.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old October 26th 03, 05:32 AM
Marina

"Larry Osborne" wrote

I was supposed to check on the price on my way out but rushed out instead.
I just can't remember the name. It looks like a rolled yellowish log

about
an inch long (2.5 cm). I am sorry about that. I will call back to them

on
Monday and if no one has figured out the name of these treats by then I

will
post it. See if I can find a web site too as they are likely to be

cheaper
on them than at the vets. They are rather large as treats go but I think
the size is to force a lot of chewing as well as releasing the enzyme.

I think this is the same stuff I've had. They were called Kau strips here.
The problem is, I can't find them anywhere now. There are only the Kau
strips for large d*gs, and those are too big and tough (the strips, not the
d*gs) for cats to chew (made from dried cow's hide, I think).

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old October 26th 03, 05:51 AM
Christine Burel

Sounds like you got your exercise today, Larry! Sending recovery purrs for
all of you!
Christine