Opinions - kittens for old cat?

Old February 25th 10, 11:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Default Opinions - kittens for old cat?

Suddenly, without warning, Kelly Greene exclaimed (2/24/2010 8:58 PM):

"jmc" wrote in message
So we have three choices he

1. Do nothing
2. Adopt the male
3. Adopt the female
4. Adopt both

Opinions? Especially from folks who have attempted such things -
whether successful or not.

Take them both! They sound wonderful. Your old cat will adjust and may
love the company.

Sadly, they were already claimed. But see my new post for the next set
of choices. Told Hubby today that the Universe is trying to tell him
something...

jmc
Old February 25th 10, 11:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Earnest

"jmc" wrote in message
So we have three choices he

1. Do nothing
2. Adopt the male
3. Adopt the female
4. Adopt both

Opinions? Especially from folks who have attempted such things -
whether successful or not.

Take them both! They sound wonderful. Your old cat will adjust and may
love the company.

Sadly, they were already claimed. But see my new post for the next set of
choices. Told Hubby today that the Universe is trying to tell him
something...

jmc

There's a million kitties out there all just asking for a home.
Select the one that purrs at your touch.

Old February 26th 10, 12:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

"Mark Earnest" wrote in message
netamerica...

"Bill Graham" wrote in message

"Mark Earnest" wrote in message
netamerica...

"Bill Graham" wrote in message

"jmc" wrote in message
Many of you here know Meep, my 13 year old, spayed female only cat.
She's not lived with another cat since I adopted her. She's a very
quiet cat but still does get the rips on occasion. She's arthritic
and on medication.

She's a needy cat, and I keep thinking maybe another feline companion
would do her good. But then I don't get one, 'cause I'm not sure.

Currently, someone at work is looking for homes for some adorable
kittens. One is a tuxedo male with white paws, with a "great
personality". The other is a longhaired calico girl.

The mama is a purebred Maine Coon; the sire is unknown but expected to
be a ginger tom.

So we have three choices he

1. Do nothing
2. Adopt the male
3. Adopt the female
4. Adopt both

Opinions? Especially from folks who have attempted such things -
whether successful or not.

jmc

Yeah.....I'll go along with the others.....Get both cats. I have 5, and
I can tell you from experience, one cat is not enough. And three is
better than two. Adopt both, and come back in a year and tell us which
one you wish you had never adopted.......

And if some of the cats don't like each other?

In that case, you should go to a Japanese sword shop, buy the finest
Seppuku blade you can afford, kneel in front of a shrine of your God or
Gods, and commit Hara-Kari........

Facetiously, in other words...live with it...
Hope the warring cats can.

Sorry I was so sarcastic.....(It's a failing of mine) But, after all She
didn't ask for a guarantee.....All she was asking for was advice, so I gave
mine. Sure, there could be a problem, but I doubt if it would be a serious
one.....After all, cats got along with one another in the wild for millions
of years before we humans came along.......And when they are living with us
humans. all their serious problems are gone, and all they have to do is
sleep all day and play......

Old February 26th 10, 03:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Mark Earnest exclaimed (2/25/2010 6:46 PM):
"jmc" wrote in message
So we have three choices he

1. Do nothing
2. Adopt the male
3. Adopt the female
4. Adopt both

Opinions? Especially from folks who have attempted such things -
whether successful or not.
Take them both! They sound wonderful. Your old cat will adjust and may
love the company.

Sadly, they were already claimed. But see my new post for the next set of
choices. Told Hubby today that the Universe is trying to tell him
something...

jmc

There's a million kitties out there all just asking for a home.
Select the one that purrs at your touch.

Well, it has to be the one that purrs at *hubby's* touch. And I have to
convince him to take that step to get close enough to let that happen.

We're getting closer though. This campaign has been going on for a while

jmc
Old February 26th 10, 06:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stan Brown

Tue, 23 Feb 2010 17:07:45 -0500 from jmc
:

Opinions? Especially from folks who have attempted such things -
whether successful or not.

There's no telling. Imagine how a 70-year-old human would feel who
suddenly had to share a house with a four-year-old!

But, just as in my analogy, I think everything depends on their
personalities. They might really take to each other, or they might
not. I would definitely not try two kittens at once, because that
doubles the opportunities for a conflict.

Is there any way you can take a kitten "on approval" to see how well
Meep gets along with the newcomer and make sure that Meep doesn't
show any unfavorable behavioral changes?

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
Old February 26th 10, 09:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene

Sadly, they were already claimed. *But see my new post for the next set
of choices. *Told Hubby today that the Universe is trying to tell him
something...

Did I miss somethng? I didn't see the new choices?

Maybe this will work out for the best. If you talk to a shelter or
rescue group, they can help you match personalities.

Old March 7th 10, 05:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
yngver

--

I just wanted to add that adopting a kitten when you have an older cat
that is used to having you all to herself doesn't always work out.

On the other hand, as others have posted, sometimes the kitten and
older cat do get along fine, after an adjustment period. What you have
to watch out for is when you have an obnoxious kitten that pesters the
old cat all the time wanting to play, and gets in her favorite places.
The older cat will need some places of her own where she can get away
from the kitten if she feels the need, especially if she is arthritic.
I know with our cat with arthritis, it made her feel vulnerable and
she would avoid situations and areas where she thought she might not
be able to get away from the other cats fast enough.

[OT] Need Opinions / Help CatNipped Cat anecdotes 15 October 30th 06 01:28 AM
2nd opinions [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 3 April 14th 05 11:43 PM
Opinions please Yoj Cat anecdotes 51 October 29th 04 07:56 PM
Need Opinions [OT] CatNipped Cat anecdotes 44 October 12th 04 06:28 PM