trying to integrate new kitten.....

Old August 13th 05, 03:20 PM
Gail

Default trying to integrate new kitten.....

I adopted a 9 week old kitten from a rescue group. He is in a room of his
own and has been for one week. My resident 2 year old neutered domestic
short hair was just exposed to him by my opening the door a small amount.
The resident cat was hissing and leaped at the door trying to swat the
kitten. It is very stressful for me and I haven't been sleeping at night
(really) worrying about this process. This is the first time I opened the
door a crack. Any thoughts or suggestions? My fear is that the first time I
let the kitten out, Freddie will leap at him and hurt him. Thanks.
Gail

Old August 13th 05, 03:59 PM
Gail

I could try this with the kitten in the carry case.
Gail
"Diane" wrote in message
In article . net,
"Gail" wrote:

I adopted a 9 week old kitten from a rescue group. He is in a room of his
own and has been for one week. My resident 2 year old neutered domestic
short hair was just exposed to him by my opening the door a small amount.
The resident cat was hissing and leaped at the door trying to swat the
kitten. It is very stressful for me and I haven't been sleeping at night
(really) worrying about this process. This is the first time I opened the
door a crack. Any thoughts or suggestions? My fear is that the first time
let the kitten out, Freddie will leap at him and hurt him. Thanks.

Could you keep the kitten in a crate (protected) and let Freddie come
into the room (so he's coming into the kitten's turf) and smell/hear/see
him without his being able to do much of anything? For a few minutes at
a time, until they get used to one another? (It's something like a
"howdy" approach.)
--
Web site: http://www.slywy.com/
Message board: http://www.slywy.com/phpBB2/

Old August 13th 05, 04:51 PM
MaryL

"Gail" wrote in message
ink.net...
I adopted a 9 week old kitten from a rescue group. He is in a room of his
own and has been for one week. My resident 2 year old neutered domestic
short hair was just exposed to him by my opening the door a small amount.
The resident cat was hissing and leaped at the door trying to swat the
kitten. It is very stressful for me and I haven't been sleeping at night
(really) worrying about this process. This is the first time I opened the
door a crack. Any thoughts or suggestions? My fear is that the first time I
let the kitten out, Freddie will leap at him and hurt him. Thanks.
Gail

I wrote a fairly lengthy message some time ago about how I introduced Holly
to Duffy. At that time, Holly had always become *very* aggressive any time
any other cat was in my vicinity. I will send a copy to you by email. In
the meantime, don't try to "push" this process. It is important to move
very slowly with the introduction and to be very patient about it. One of
the most helpful tools you can use is to temporarily replace the door to the
room with the newcomer with an inexpensive screen door. I described it in
more detail in the message I will send, but this concept permits the two
cats to see each other, smell each other, and just generally be aware of
each other -- but without coming into contact and endangering either one.

MaryL

My cats --
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o

Old August 13th 05, 05:35 PM
Gail

Thanks, Mary. My email is . We don't have a screen door,
unfortunately.
Gail

ink.net...

Old August 13th 05, 07:29 PM
MaryL

"Gail" wrote in message
k.net...
Thanks, Mary. My email is . We don't have a screen
door, unfortunately.
Gail

Thanks, I'll send the message to that address.

snip
Here are links to two other "Duffy and Holly" albums. These albums show a
pictorial history of the whole introduction, and you can also see pictures
of the door.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (Introducing Duffy to Holly)
http://tinyurl.com/8y56 (Duffy and Holly "settle in")

Gail,

When you look at the pictures of the door, be sure to notice that the screen
door (or wood door with wire mesh panel, in my case) will be a *temporary
replacement* for your permanent interior door. It is *not* installed
together with the permanent door, as would occur if you placed a screen door
together with an exterior door. Buy the very cheapest door you can find
because it will be used for only a short time during the introduction.

MaryL