[OT] Anyone here a MS Word Expert?

Old November 2nd 07, 06:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

Default [OT] Anyone here a MS Word Expert?

My company has come out with new standards for the reports we send to
clients. Instead of "Times New Roman" or "CG Times" fonts we now have to
use "Arial". So for any (100+ page) reports that we use as a template we
have to make sure all the fonts are now "Arial" - even the headers and
footers.

I've created a macro that will change all fonts in the body of the letter,
but the global find and replace does not change any of the headers and
footers (and we may have as many as 50 separate headers). Needless to say,
this makes it impossible to run the macro just once - I have to "View/Header
and Footer", run the macro, hit "next" on the header/footer toolbar and run
the macro, hit "next" on the header/footer toolbar and run the macro, etc.

Does anyone here know how to do a global find and replace that will change
all headers and footers as well as the text in the body of the document?

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See all my masters he http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

Old November 2nd 07, 07:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

Default [OT] Anyone here a MS Word Expert? - Never mind!

I found out how to do it in VB, it's clunky, but it works.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old November 2nd 07, 08:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 14:55:13 -0500, CatNipped wrote:

I found out how to do it in VB, it's clunky, but it works.

Everything in VB is clunky
Old November 2nd 07, 08:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
nik Simpson

CatNipped wrote:
[...]

Which version of Office? With 2003, you can use the Styles & Formatting
menu from the "Format" menu. This display a list of styles used in the
document. Select the style you want to change, and from the drop down
menu select "Modify Style". Select the new font you want the style to
use, then check the "Automatically update" box, and any text in the
document with that style will get the new font.

For a more long term solution find the document template that you use
(default is "normal.dot") open, then use the Modify Style menu again,
but down at the bottom make sure you select "All styles" in the show
menu. Select the styles that you use, make the changes and save
normal.dot (make sure you save it as a dot, not a doc file, and you
should be good to go for all future documents.

--
Nik Simpson
Old November 2nd 07, 08:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"nik Simpson" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Nik, but I've already got the macro created in Visual Basic so I
don't have to go through the document manually and change each font and
size. The problem is that when the macro loops through the headers and
footers, as soon as it gets to an empty header or footer the macro stops
running and all the headers and footers after that don't get changed. It's
driving me nuts because all the research I've done just gives me the answer,
"it can't be done" - I don't like that answer! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old November 2nd 07, 10:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

CatNipped wrote:

My company has come out with new standards for the reports we send to
clients. Instead of "Times New Roman" or "CG Times" fonts we now have to
use "Arial". So for any (100+ page) reports that we use as a template we
have to make sure all the fonts are now "Arial" - even the headers and
footers.

I've created a macro that will change all fonts in the body of the letter,
but the global find and replace does not change any of the headers and
footers (and we may have as many as 50 separate headers).

Why would you need a macro? There's a place in the tool-bar
that allows you to change your default font. I can't
remember offhand whther it's in "Edit", "Format", or "Page
Set-up", but it's there. The software on our office network
had "Courier" set as the default font, but since I prefer
"Arial", I promptly set that as the default on my home computer.

Old November 3rd 07, 03:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

CatNipped wrote:

[...]

We use existing documents for each client from year to year and just
changing parts of them (not to get technical, but they are "valuation" forms
that describe pension plans using current mortality tables and investment
strategies along with current government regulations and laws (such as the
"Pension Protection Act" just enacted). Companies' pension plans usually
(hopefully) stay the same year after year with only these types of changes.

Our company has decided to change its standards for documents going to
clients (its "brand"). The existing documents have all sizes of fonts in
headings, body, headers, footers, footnotes, etc. So we have to change all
"Times New Roman, 18pt" to "Arial, 17pt"; "Times New Roman, 17pt" to "Arial
16pt"; "Times New Roman, 16pt" to "Arial, 15pt" (you get the idea, but font
sizes range from 18 points down to 7 points, and some documents are using
"Times New Roman" and some are using "CG Times". To do all those changes
manually, in the body, and then again in each header and footer section, and
then again in each footnote section, would take a long, long time since
these documents are 200 - 300 pages long and may have 50 to 60 different
header and footer sections and footnotes on almost every page. A macro can
run through all these font changes in seconds. I'm just having a problem
because when I do a "while loop" to change the fonts in headers and footers,
when it gets to a blank header or footer the macro stops and any headers and
footers further in the document don't get changed. The only "fix" I've
found for this in researching the web is to manually go into each empty
header and footer and put a "space" in it. Doing this manually would be
just as time consuming as changing the font manually, so I'm looking for a
programming solution (I can't get it to recognize a "null" value).

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old November 3rd 07, 11:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

"CatNipped" wrote in
:

My company has come out with new standards for the reports we send to
clients. Instead of "Times New Roman" or "CG Times" fonts we now have
to use "Arial". So for any (100+ page) reports that we use as a
template we have to make sure all the fonts are now "Arial" -

IMHO Arial is a horrible font as is any font that can't differentiate an
upper case i from a lower case L. Serifs are your friend.

Andy

Old November 3rd 07, 03:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"rrb" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 22:07:17 -0500, CatNipped wrote:

and footer and put a "space" in it. Doing this manually would be just
as time consuming as changing the font manually, so I'm looking for a
programming solution (I can't get it to recognize a "null" value).

Have you tried any of the below to detect a string that is empty or null?

1. sStringVar = ""
2. (isnull(sStringVar) = false)
3. (left(trim(sStringVar),1) = " ")

rrb

I think I may have fixed the blank header problem, but I'll have to wait
until I get to work on Monday to test it out on one of those monster
documents. This is what I have so far...

Sub Font()
'
' Font Macro
'
Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
Selection.Find.Replacement.ClearFormatting
With Selection.Find
.Text = ""
.Replacement.Text = ""
.Font.Name = "Times New Roman"
.Font.Size = "18"
.Replacement.Font.Name = "Arial"
.Replacement.Font.Size = "17"
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = True
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchKashida = False
.MatchDiacritics = False
.MatchAlefHamza = False
.MatchControl = False
.MatchWildcards = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
.MatchAllWordForms = False
End With
Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
Selection.Find.Replacement.ClearFormatting
With Selection.Find
.Text = ""
.Replacement.Text = ""
.Font.Name = "Times New Roman"
.Font.Size = "17"
.Replacement.Font.Name = "Arial"
.Replacement.Font.Size = "16"
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = True
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchKashida = False
.MatchDiacritics = False
.MatchAlefHamza = False
.MatchControl = False
.MatchWildcards = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
.MatchAllWordForms = False
End With
Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
Selection.Find.Replacement.ClearFormatting
With Selection.Find
.Text = ""
.Replacement.Text = ""
.Font.Name = "Times New Roman"
.Font.Size = "16"
.Replacement.Font.Name = "Arial"
.Replacement.Font.Size = "15"
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = True
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchKashida = False
.MatchDiacritics = False
.MatchAlefHamza = False
.MatchControl = False
.MatchWildcards = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
.MatchAllWordForms = False
End With
Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
Selection.Find.Replacement.ClearFormatting
With Selection.Find
.Text = ""
.Replacement.Text = ""
.Font.Name = "Times New Roman"
.Font.Size = "15"
.Replacement.Font.Name = "Arial"
.Replacement.Font.Size = "14"
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = True
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchKashida = False
.MatchDiacritics = False
.MatchAlefHamza = False
.MatchControl = False
.MatchWildcards = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
.MatchAllWordForms = False
End With
Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
Selection.Find.Replacement.ClearFormatting
With Selection.Find
.Text = ""
.Replacement.Text = ""
.Font.Name = "Times New Roman"
.Font.Size = "14"
.Replacement.Font.Name = "Arial"
.Replacement.Font.Size = "13"
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = True
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchKashida = False
.MatchDiacritics = False
.MatchAlefHamza = False
.MatchControl = False
.MatchWildcards = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
.MatchAllWordForms = False
End With
Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
Selection.Find.Replacement.ClearFormatting
With Selection.Find
.Text = ""
.Replacement.Text = ""
.Font.Name = "Times New Roman"
.Font.Size = "13"
.Replacement.Font.Name = "Arial"
.Replacement.Font.Size = "12"
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = True
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchKashida = False
.MatchDiacritics = False
.MatchAlefHamza = False
.MatchControl = False
.MatchWildcards = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
.MatchAllWordForms = False
End With
Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
Selection.Find.Replacement.ClearFormatting
With Selection.Find
.Text = ""
.Replacement.Text = ""
.Font.Name = "Times New Roman"
.Font.Size = "12"
.Replacement.Font.Name = "Arial"
.Replacement.Font.Size = "11"
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = True
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchKashida = False
.MatchDiacritics = False
.MatchAlefHamza = False
.MatchControl = False
.MatchWildcards = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
.MatchAllWordForms = False
End With
Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
Selection.Find.Replacement.ClearFormatting
With Selection.Find
.Text = ""
.Replacement.Text = ""
.Font.Name = "Times New Roman"
.Font.Size = "11"
.Replacement.Font.Name = "Arial"
.Replacement.Font.Size = "10"
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = True
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchKashida = False
.MatchDiacritics = False
.MatchAlefHamza = False
.MatchControl = False
.MatchWildcards = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
.MatchAllWordForms = False
End With
Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
Selection.Find.Replacement.ClearFormatting
With Selection.Find
.Text = ""
.Replacement.Text = ""
.Font.Name = "Times New Roman"
.Font.Size = "10"
.Replacement.Font.Name = "Arial"
.Replacement.Font.Size = "9"
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = True
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchKashida = False
.MatchDiacritics = False
.MatchAlefHamza = False
.MatchControl = False
.MatchWildcards = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
.MatchAllWordForms = False
End With
Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
Selection.Find.Replacement.ClearFormatting
With Selection.Find
.Text = ""
.Replacement.Text = ""
.Font.Name = "Times New Roman"
.Font.Size = "9"
.Replacement.Font.Name = "Arial"
.Replacement.Font.Size = "8"
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = True
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchKashida = False
.MatchDiacritics = False
.MatchAlefHamza = False
.MatchControl = False
.MatchWildcards = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
.MatchAllWordForms = False
End With
Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
Selection.Find.Replacement.ClearFormatting
With Selection.Find
.Text = ""
.Replacement.Text = ""
.Font.Name = "Times New Roman"
.Font.Size = "8"
.Replacement.Font.Name = "Arial"
.Replacement.Font.Size = "7"
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = True
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchKashida = False
.MatchDiacritics = False
.MatchAlefHamza = False
.MatchControl = False
.MatchWildcards = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
.MatchAllWordForms = False
End With
Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
Selection.Find.Replacement.ClearFormatting
With Selection.Find
.Text = ""
.Replacement.Text = ""
.Font.Name = "CG Times"
[...]

End Sub
Public Sub ChnageHeaderFonts()

' Now fix the headers
Dim rngStory As Word.Range
Dim lngJunk As Long
lngJunk = ActiveDocument.Sections(1).Headers(1).Range.StoryT ype
'Iterate through all story types in the current document
For Each rngStory In ActiveDocument.StoryRanges
'Iterate through all linked stories
Do
With rngStory.Find
.Text = ""
.Replacement.Text = ""
.Font.Name = "Times New Roman"
.Font.Size = "18"
.Replacement.Font.Name = "Arial"
.Replacement.Font.Size = "17"
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
End With
'Get next linked story (if any)
Set rngStory = rngStory.NextStoryRange
Loop Until rngStory Is Nothing
Next

Old November 3rd 07, 06:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Outsider wrote:

"CatNipped" wrote in
:

My company has come out with new standards for the reports we send to
clients. Instead of "Times New Roman" or "CG Times" fonts we now have
to use "Arial". So for any (100+ page) reports that we use as a
template we have to make sure all the fonts are now "Arial" -

IMHO Arial is a horrible font as is any font that can't differentiate an
upper case i from a lower case L. Serifs are your friend.

Personally I prefer Arial, but "Chacun a son gout".
However, I don't think Catnip has a choice - it is her
company that has decided upon the font change.

this lecture by expert couldn't hurt Robert Cohen Cat anecdotes 0 February 20th 07 11:07 PM
The word gets out Dan M Cat anecdotes 6 May 2nd 05 12:04 AM
We need a word... Howard Berkowitz Cat anecdotes 9 December 26th 04 08:14 PM
your cat in 1 word JLove98905 Cat health & behaviour 128 October 10th 04 06:58 PM