Question about new cats I just got about a week ago

Old August 9th 05, 08:29 PM
O.G

Default Question about new cats I just got about a week ago

It must be asked alot but this is the first time I have had to deal
with this but I recently got two new cats from a lady who had no room
for them. She actually found them as strays and took them in, She said
it took a monthfor them to come around for her but i'm not sure if this

is the same situation.

The two cats seem to be buddies, Tehy usually ball up together as if
they were trying to protect one another. This has only been week one,
Since they were hiding under our couch the first two nights and not
eating we put the litter and food in our bathroom and had them stay in
there. They started eating and doing their litter duties. Well the
problem is now they dont want to get out of the bathtub, I guess they
feel really safe there and will let us pet them when they are in it.
But my girlfriend and I need to shower so when we pick them up and take

them out they hiss at us and one has even attacked me. I might of been
wrong to yell at the little guy when he did but I did it out of
reaction. But since then when I pick them up they dont really hiss
anymore except for on one other occasion but there was no bite or
scratching. Well we figured they need to get out of the bathroom so we
have no set up the box and food in our bedroom along with a scratch
post.

One cat hides under sink next to the litter box, I made sure to put his

food nearby so he doesnt have to move to eat. The other cat sits at my
sliding glass door and looks outside. The black and whire cat who sits
by the glass door at night meows alot and runs through the blinds while

the other just stays put. The gray cat is the one who doesnt really
move alot, I've tried to sit and pet him for awile and he seems like
he's just real depressed, The black and white cat seems like he's
sticking up for the gray one cause he eyes me the whole time I am with
it.

I know it's only been a week but is this rare for them to act so
scared? We've done alot to try and comfort them but as soon as we have
to pick them up from going in the bathroom they get mad at us again and

ignore us. Eventually the black and white gets over it and walks around

and lets us pet her, But the gray cat just sits there and could care
less.

Also, The black and white cat gets on her belly and it seems like she
wants me to pet her but then she bites me, It doesnt hurt but I wonder
if it's just playing or actually doesnt want me to pet her there. She
throws her hands and feet at me too for doing it.

Any help would be appreciative.

Old August 9th 05, 10:09 PM
ElvisRocks

No - that's normal. The two I got in May (gray and b/w also) took weeks to
adjust.
I kept them confined with food/water and litter box in a bedroom. They hid
under furniture
every time I came in to feed them or try to hang out with them.
They were confined for 2 weeks and after that when I let them out (I have
two other adult cats) they still acted weird for a couple weeks.
Even now sometimes they run from me if I walk into the room.
They'll get used to you. That's just cats being cats. They're scared.
Carol

oups.com...

Old August 10th 05, 01:14 AM
Cheryl

On Tue 09 Aug 2005 03:29:16p, O.G wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
roups.com):

snip

I know it's only been a week but is this rare for them to act so
scared? We've done alot to try and comfort them but as soon as
we have to pick them up from going in the bathroom they get mad
at us again and ignore us. Eventually the black and white gets
over it and walks around and lets us pet her, But the gray cat
just sits there and could care less.

Totally normal. They've been through some recent changes and
are adjusting. You're so great to take them in!

Also, The black and white cat gets on her belly and it seems
like she wants me to pet her but then she bites me, It doesnt
hurt but I wonder if it's just playing or actually doesnt want
me to pet her there. She throws her hands and feet at me too for
doing it.

In my experience with shy/skittish new cats, it's best to just sit
with them and let them get used to you for a while before giving
lots of love. If they accept the petting, you're lucky! Maybe
try sitting on the floor and do something else like read a book.
Heck, maybe even read it to them. It'll seem to them that
you're talking to them.

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with
baited breath." - W.C. Fields
Old August 10th 05, 09:37 AM

No. Not abnormal at all. A week is nothing in cat time. You should see
some relaxing/changes in their behavior around a month or perhaps a bit
sooner.

As Cheryl said, I always find it helpful with spooked cats to just
spend time in their vincinity doing inoffensive things that aren't
centered on them - fold laundry, clean something, read aloud, listen to
music and just let them watch me from their hiding spaces (and they
will) and gently talk a loud from time to time in their general
direction.

They're trying to figure out what's going on in this new, scary place
and if they can get some data without having to brave a full-on
interaction then that's going to be helpful for them - lol.

You can also leave behind a treat or two at the end of your "time" with
them. They won't eat it while you're there, but they will when the
coast is clear :

Good luck!

Tracy