An ego-crushing cat!

Old August 10th 05, 12:40 AM
Ajanta

Default An ego-crushing cat!

I have mentioned that a cat visits us regularly and I feed her. Usually
she comes and waits in our 3rd floor back porch, even likes to come in
the house and watch TV for a while. Today I had a hilarious
ego-crushing experience wtih her!

I was about to shower when I went to my porch and saw she was on the
way up. Upon seeing me she came rushing in, meowing all the way. I
thought I would feed her after shower, so placed her in her favorite
chair and went in. When I returned she was gone. Looking around I saw
she was lying on the 1st floor deck.

I went down and carried her up (usually I would just have left it to
her whether or when she wanted to come back but we were going out this
evening). She was pleased at the prospect of food and sat at her usual
spot waiting.

I warmed the remaining 1/2 can of paste type food (which I know is not
her favorite but I have a few cans and she did eat the first 1/2
yesterday). She rushed to the bowl but stopped cold without eating and
sat there looking at me. I waited to see if she would eat. After a
while she walked away slowly and sat near the stairs in "I am leaving"
posture but without actually leaving.

Since we had to leave soon, I decided to give in at this point and
opened a Friskies can of the kind she likes, gave her 1/2 a can, and
she ate all of it.

Now, sometimes she hangs around for a while after eating but today she
must not have been pleased with me, for immediately after eating she
marched straight to the stairs and sat a few steps below my floor. I
thought I would make up by being nice to her but as soon as she saw me
approaching she scooted down to the first floor deck.

We have been laughing silly at this ego-crushing dressing down I
received, but, cat experts, please help me understand why was she
ticked off: is it because I left her to shower, or because I served her
that paste food?
Old August 10th 05, 12:58 AM
CatNipped

"Ajanta" wrote in message
[...]

It's just because she's a cat and human ego crushing is their mission in
life (mother nature put them on earth to keep us humble)! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old August 10th 05, 05:27 AM
Roberta Bagshaw

That is a great story Ajanta.......

I had a similar kind of reaction from my cat...... but in the opposite
direction.

Our 2 year old calico cat Rosie was sitting on a kitchen chair, ignoring me
as usual and I stopped and stroked her and said sadly to my husband "What a
shame that Rosie is not more affectionate to us, like little Bonnie who is
so openly sweet". (Rosie and Bonnie get on very well and are about a year
apart in age)

Rosie very rarely rubs along my legs or responds to strokes.... in fact she
sometimes seems irritated when we pet her. She does sleep on the end of our
bed on cold nights, but never tries to get under the blankets like young
Bonnie does.

Well.... that very night about 2.00 a.m. I was woken by the sound of a cat's
bell, and I assumed it was Bonnie feeling cold and coming to climb under the
blankets...... she likes to snuggle up against my legs and usually purrs
VERY loudly.

I held up the bed covers so she could slide under and when she didn't I went
to touch her and realized it was Rosie!!! Rosie then purred quietly and
laid down on my arm right next to my face and stayed there for more than an
hour!!! I couldn't believe it...... she had NEVER done that before, and it
almost seemed that she had read my mind earlier that day and wanted to
reassure me.

But I'm probably kidding myself........

Bobby Bagshaw (Sec.)
Friends of the RSPCA Geraldton Auxiliary
West Australia
email:

Old August 10th 05, 05:31 AM
M.C. Mullen

:
: We have been laughing silly at this ego-crushing dressing down I
: received, but, cat experts, please help me understand why was she
: ticked off: is it because I left her to shower, or because I served her
: that paste food?
:
: It's just because she's a cat and human ego crushing is their mission in
: life (mother nature put them on earth to keep us humble)! ;
:
: Hugs,
:
: CatNipped

Cats can be very set in their ways (whatever it is).
She must have expected something which she didn't get her way.
I think the shower did it and the paste gave her the rest ...

When I disturb my cats in a mission then they carry on exactly where they
where interrupted afterwards.

Carola

Old August 10th 05, 03:04 PM
Ajanta

I wrote:

[...]

The story continues a little more. My SO says that rather than an act
of displeasure her scooting down may have been just a game that I was
too dumb/rushed to understand.

The first time, she had no way of knowing my intention to shower and
feed her later. So it was reasonable for her to leave after a while.
But then I went down and carried her up. Her running down the second
time may have been an invitation to play the same game again. I am not
100% convinced but there may be something to this theory because when
lying on the first floor she was looking straight up towards my porch.

A few hours later, when she saw me on my porch, she came running back
up and hung around for a while. This wasn't for food, and our porch is
open where she can and does come whenever she wants whether I am there
or not, so I like to think she came just to be around me: lol, my ego
is repaired and back to normal. :-)