[OT] Yoga Enthusiasts?

Old January 18th 05, 01:40 AM
CatNipped

Default [OT] Yoga Enthusiasts?

Sorry I haven't been posting very much lately. I'm still working 14 - 16
hours a day 7 days a week and trying to get in my exercising, physical
therapy, and learning yoga in all my spare time!! ; I'm still sending
purrs for all who need them, and trying to at least spot check posts for
anyone in need.

Off topic now...

I have a question for others here who may do yoga.

I've always been very bendy. I have no problems touching my toes or sitting
with legs spread and grabbing my feet. However, the girl on the yoga video
I have looks like she doesn't have a bone in her body. She sits with her
legs straight out in front of her and leans over and rests her face on her
knees or stand and bends over forward with her face against her knees.

My question is, do you become that limber with continued practice, or is
this yoga instructor just double jointed or something? If you do become
that limber, how long does it take? I'm practicing through the pain so my
muscles will stretch and not stiffen up, but although I see some progress,
I'm not there yet. Any advice?

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old January 18th 05, 01:54 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , CatNipped at
wrote on 1/17/05 6:40 PM:

[...]

I think you become bendiER. I wouldn't expect that kind of flexibility
without a very dedicated and long term practice. I mean, I guess I would
never rule out it happening, but how quickly and all that, well, it kind of
defeats the whole idea of yoga to worry about it ahead of time. Half of yoga
is just learning about what your body is about at the spot you are at right
now. But there is definitely no doubt in my mind that you become more
flexible. I need to get back into it for that reason. When I had a physical
Fitness evaluation this summer, flexibility was the only durn thing that I
was better than average for a woman my age and I'm certain it was because of
my brushes with yoga (I call it brushes because it wasn't nearly often
enough to be a practice) so if doing so little can do that much, do it
regularly probably does a lot more.

Old January 18th 05, 01:58 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-18, CatNipped penned:

I've always been very bendy. I have no problems touching my toes or sitting
with legs spread and grabbing my feet. However, the girl on the yoga video
I have looks like she doesn't have a bone in her body. She sits with her
legs straight out in front of her and leans over and rests her face on her
knees or stand and bends over forward with her face against her knees.

My question is, do you become that limber with continued practice, or is
this yoga instructor just double jointed or something? If you do become
that limber, how long does it take? I'm practicing through the pain so my
muscles will stretch and not stiffen up, but although I see some progress,
I'm not there yet. Any advice?

Never having been very bendy, even when I was doing martial arts (lots of
warmup and cooldown stretching) almost daily, I could ask you the same thing.
I only wish I could touch my toes or sit with legs spread and grab my feet!

Whenever someone in a MA class (inevitably) comments on how women are more
flexible and aren't they lucky yadda yaddah, I always want to beat them with
my shoe.

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old January 18th 05, 02:13 AM
mlbriggs

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 00:40:56 +0000, CatNipped wrote:

[...]

I suspect age is a factor. MLB

Old January 18th 05, 02:14 AM
Victor Martinez

CatNipped wrote:
My question is, do you become that limber with continued practice, or is
this yoga instructor just double jointed or something? If you do become

It takes practice, practice, practice.

that limber, how long does it take? I'm practicing through the pain so my
muscles will stretch and not stiffen up, but although I see some progress,
I'm not there yet. Any advice?

It takes months to be able to do some poses. Years for others. Don't
despair. Remember the most important thing about yoga is not the poses
themselves, but the purposeful breathing. The poses will happen with
time, don't hurry them.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old January 18th 05, 02:17 AM
Yowie

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Watching Cary, he can do the most amazingly bendy things. He sucks on his
toes like its no big deal. He can lift his head so far back it virtually
touches his butt. He can, and often does, sit with his feet straight and and
has his head touching the ground.

He does this like its perfectly normal - because for a baby, it is.

But when we stop doing such things, we tighten up and lose the ability. Some
people are just naturally bendier than others (I am a bendy person, but it
also means I'm forever over-bending joints, which is painful) but if you
have been doing bendy things from a young age you don't lose the
flexibility. Just look at wha tthose martial arts guys can do - thats
because they have been doing it literally for their whole life.

Bendy yoga video girl has probably been doing such things for most of her
life. You haven't. Its nothing to be ashamed of, but please don't think you
ought to be able to be doing what she does, because you almost invaraibly
won't be able to. You will become *more* felxible as you get your muscles
and tendons used to stretching, but you won't ever be as flexible as someone
who has doing extreme bendy stuff for all (or even most) of their life.

Like all other things, do it so as to be healthy and happy within yourself,
not so that you meet some "I want to be like them" target.

Yowie

Old January 18th 05, 02:28 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-18, Yowie penned:

Watching Cary, he can do the most amazingly bendy things. He sucks on his
toes like its no big deal. He can lift his head so far back it virtually
touches his butt. He can, and often does, sit with his feet straight and and
has his head touching the ground.

He does this like its perfectly normal - because for a baby, it is.

I just went to my chiro evaluation today, and what you've just typed reminds
me of something discussed there.

I (apparently; news to me!) don't have full range of motion in my neck because
of some bad posture habits combined with lots of stress, activities that are
rough on my body, etc. Anyway, it occurs to me that one reason Cary's body is
so flexible is that his spine hasn't had several decades in which to settle
into an inflexible shape.

I wonder if regular chiro visits would help with yoga?

Old January 18th 05, 02:32 AM
CatNipped

"Yowie" wrote in message

Watching Cary, he can do the most amazingly bendy things. He sucks on his
toes like its no big deal. He can lift his head so far back it virtually
touches his butt. He can, and often does, sit with his feet straight and

and
has his head touching the ground.

I can suck my toe (I don't, but I can!) ;

He does this like its perfectly normal - because for a baby, it is.

But when we stop doing such things, we tighten up and lose the ability.

Some
people are just naturally bendier than others (I am a bendy person, but it
also means I'm forever over-bending joints, which is painful) but if you
have been doing bendy things from a young age you don't lose the
flexibility. Just look at wha tthose martial arts guys can do - thats
because they have been doing it literally for their whole life.

Yeah, I've been bending all my life - having my feet tucked in full lotus is
more comfortable to me that sitting "right" in a chair. It's just my
hamstrings that need to stretch.

Bendy yoga video girl has probably been doing such things for most of her
life. You haven't. Its nothing to be ashamed of, but please don't think

you
ought to be able to be doing what she does, because you almost invaraibly
won't be able to. You will become *more* felxible as you get your muscles
and tendons used to stretching, but you won't ever be as flexible as

someone
who has doing extreme bendy stuff for all (or even most) of their life.

I know, but the cats make even her look stiff!!! ;

Like all other things, do it so as to be healthy and happy within

yourself,
not so that you meet some "I want to be like them" target.

Yowie

Yeah, I guess I'm too obsessive-compulsive to just be happy with whatever
state I'm currently in. I'll have to practice that aspect of yoga more than
any physical position.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old January 18th 05, 11:57 AM
Yowie

"CatNipped" wrote in message
news
"Yowie" wrote in message

Watching Cary, he can do the most amazingly bendy things. He sucks on

his
toes like its no big deal. He can lift his head so far back it virtually
touches his butt. He can, and often does, sit with his feet straight and

and
has his head touching the ground.

I can suck my toe (I don't, but I can!) ;

Me too! And the distance between my mouth and my toe makes that one quite
spectacular

I can also horrify people with what I can do with my fingers and toes, but
my neck, now thats a definate non-bendy part of me. Probably also due to
years of bad posture.

Yowie

Old January 18th 05, 03:20 PM
Karen

I was thinking, you should get Rodney Yee's book "The Poetry of the Body".
It's really a good read and I think it just has some very excellent points
about life in it as well as our bodies.