Broken-hearted cat (long)

Old August 4th 05, 05:30 AM
Rhonda

Default Broken-hearted cat (long)

3 years ago Walter (sig.other) trapped 3 kittens where he works. They
had not been handled by humans until then. The vet said they were about
10 wks old.

We had all of them for 3 weeks as they got their shots, worming, etc. We
worked for hours to socialize them, and had good luck. The orange guy
especially turned into a love bug.

We found a home for the orange guy -- a cat lover in Oregon. He was very
skittish at first, but came to love her and his new cat friend. I've
been keeping in touch with her since then, but here's the tough part.
She didn't answer an email recently so I called someone else I knew in
her office (a different branch of our company.) The cat-lover was in the
process of moving to Utah, without the orange guy!

She had decided that he did not take the last move to a new apartment
well, and didn't want to put him through a drive to Salt Lake. She gave
him to a co-worker and took the other cat with her!!!

I'm now in contact with the new owner and trying to provide support. The
cat is FREAKED. He has lost his home, his human, and his cat partner. He
has reverted to semi-feral mode. She has not been able to touch him for
2 weeks and he is hiding behind the appliances and in cupboards (which
they all did in our bathroom as kittens.)

She is a new cat owner and this is a lot to lay on someone who wanted
their first cat. I've been giving advice over the phone -- sit and talk
to him, get him used to your voice, lay treats in front of him, try to
play with him with a fishing-pole toy, etc. She is scared of him hasn't
gotten too close because he huddles away from her, and she is afraid he
will attack. He is not a mean cat and I told her to just go slow, but
it's important to start getting closer to him.

Any advice I could pass on? I told her I'd drive down there and help any
time. She had a friend who is a more experienced cat-person come over
and he talked baby talk to the cat, and actually got close enough to pet
him. The cat let him do it, although he was hiding and tense. She's too
afraid to attempt that on her own, and he went back in a cupboard as
soon as the other guy left. He is coming out when she's not there and
eating and using the litter box.

What can I tell her? I'm trying very hard not to be ****ed that this cat
was left behind, but I am ****ed. I cannot believe a 2-day trip could
have been worse than this.

Thanks,

Rhonda

Old August 4th 05, 05:36 AM

Rhonda wrote:
3 years ago Walter (sig.other) trapped 3 kittens where he works. They
had not been handled by humans until then. The vet said they were about
10 wks old.

snip

Man, people are whacked. Not much she can do but a lot of
non-confrontational patience and love. And Feliaway.

-L.
(shaking head)

Old August 4th 05, 05:40 AM
Snittens

"Rhonda" wrote in message
[...]

Ah! That stinks Poor orange guy. Too bad the original owner didn't
call you for advice before moving. You're right, the move would have been
less trauma for him.

Is the new owner open to a second cat? I think Mr. Orange, being a bit
semi-feral and used to living with another cat, would be much more relaxed
with a friendly cat in the house. In any case, two weeks is not that long.
It might be a good idea with this guy to keep him to one room for a while.
Put a radio on a talk or lite music station during the day to keep him
company. When she gets home from work, she should spend some time in the
room just sitting, reading a book or something for about an hour. Not
directly trying to make contact with him, but just being in the room.

I hope it all works out.

-Kelly

Old August 4th 05, 05:55 AM
Candace

Rhonda wrote:

Any advice I could pass on? I told her I'd drive down there and help any
time. She had a friend who is a more experienced cat-person come over
and he talked baby talk to the cat, and actually got close enough to pet
him. The cat let him do it, although he was hiding and tense. She's too
afraid to attempt that on her own, and he went back in a cupboard as
soon as the other guy left. He is coming out when she's not there and
eating and using the litter box.

What can I tell her? I'm trying very hard not to be ****ed that this cat
was left behind, but I am ****ed. I cannot believe a 2-day trip could
have been worse than this.

Oh, no, what a sad story! I hope she will be patient and committed to
this poor kitty.

Candace

Old August 4th 05, 10:15 PM
Karen

"Rhonda" wrote in message
[...]

I would also send her EVERY touching feral turned trusting story I could
find. You know, if people KNOW what is at the end of the rainbow, (even a
long rainbow) she might be more commited to him. C'mon, everyone, send your
stories. (This really sucks I would be SOOOOO mad at that woman. Poor
other kitty too )

Old August 5th 05, 01:53 AM
Rhonda

I never thought of Feliaway. What is in it? I've never used it. Is it
actually drugging the cat? Do you use it for awhile and then stop?

Something like that makes me uneasy.

Rhonda

Old August 5th 05, 01:55 AM
Rhonda

Thanks, Kelly. I have forwarded your suggestions to her.

I had suggested a second cat already, but she is in a small apartment
and wasn't quite ready to take on two. She may think about that in the
future.

I like the idea of keeping him in one room for now. I'll see what she
has to say.

Rhonda

Old August 5th 05, 01:57 AM
Rhonda

She said she is thinking positive about the whole thing. I told her this
would take a lot of patience, but he is such a friendly cat when he
starts to trust you. I asked her if she's hanging in there, and she said
she is...

I will keep in touch with her and hope this situation settles down soon.

Rhonda

Old August 5th 05, 02:00 AM
Rhonda

I hadn't even thought about the other kitty. That must be tough for her,
too. This whole thing upsets me.

That's a good idea about the stories. We did get her a cat care book
that I will mail to her (along with some cat treats and toys.) I think
I'll start a new thread about other books to send.

My fingers are crossed.

Rhonda

Karen wrote:

I would also send her EVERY touching feral turned trusting story I could
find. You know, if people KNOW what is at the end of the rainbow, (even a
long rainbow) she might be more commited to him. C'mon, everyone, send your
stories. (This really sucks I would be SOOOOO mad at that woman. Poor
other kitty too )

OT, Long, don't give a damn; Joyce Brauer 1936 - 2005 Singh Cat anecdotes 16 July 1st 05 10:44 PM
Vet Tech journals (very long) Mischief Cat anecdotes 7 March 30th 05 01:41 AM
T&H Update - Long LOL Cat anecdotes 30 August 15th 04 09:52 AM
About Bandit - long CatNipped Cat anecdotes 42 July 18th 04 07:34 AM
Gem the Gray Kitten (long) Annie Benson-Lennaman Cat anecdotes 21 August 25th 03 01:02 AM