Low Protien Diet Question

Old August 8th 05, 09:13 PM
Nik

Default Low Protien Diet Question

Hi all. My cat had 3 teeth pulled 2 weeks ago and he was doing great until
Thursday night when he started vomiting all over the place. Took him back to
the vet and was told that levels of something (sorry, I forget what the word
was) in his kidneys was a little high when they did blood tests. So he wants
Willie on a low protien diet. What I want to know is what is the best low
protien food (dry and wet) there is out there that I could start him on? Any
suggestions? Thanks for any help.

Nikki

--
When anger finds a safe place, a bit of heaven falls.-- Robert Fuerste

Old August 8th 05, 09:25 PM
Karen

Check out these charts

http://webpages.charter.net/katkarma/canfood.htm

Old August 9th 05, 01:39 AM
Betsy

You might want to ask your vet some questions.

Most cats, but especially older ones, need to have bloodwork done before
going under anesthesia. One of the things that can be affected is the
kidneys--if they are already in bad shape, the anesthesia can push the cat
over the edge.

Did your vet suggest pre-surgical bloodwork? If not, I'd think seriously
about taking his advice now. You probably ought to make some calls and find
a better vet.

Old August 9th 05, 05:05 AM
Phil P.

"Nik" wrote in message
Hi all. My cat had 3 teeth pulled 2 weeks ago and he was doing great until
Thursday night when he started vomiting all over the place. Took him back

the vet and was told that levels of something (sorry, I forget what the

word
was) in his kidneys was a little high when they did blood tests. So he

wants
Willie on a low protein diet. What I want to know is what is the best low
protein food (dry and wet) there is out there that I could start him on?

Any
suggestions? Thanks for any help.

Nikki

Ask your vet exactly how high 'a little high' is. Protein should not be
restricted in cats with early to mid-stage kidney failure until the BUN
reaches 60-70 mg/dl. Restricting protein too early in the course of the
disease leads to muscle wasting and over all deterioration as well as an
impaired immune system and increased susceptibility to infections. Premature
protein restriction can also reduce hemoglobin production which can lead to
or exacerbate anemia in cats with CRF.

You want to put your cat on a *low phosphorus* diet right now. Low
phosphorus diets help minimize renal mineralization and phosphorus
retention. All OTC Science Diet canned and dry foods are low in phosphorus.
Perguard canned Turkey & Rice and Rabbit & Rice, canned Wysong Gourmet
Chicken Dinner are also low in phosphorus.

I've had the best luck with Hill's Prescription Diet x/d in our cats with
early to mid-stage kidney failure. x/d is a moderate protein, low
phosphorus, *alkaline* diet that 's similar in pH to Hill's Prescription
k/d.

Good luck,

Phil

Old August 9th 05, 06:39 PM
Nik

Dr. Shive is a great vet. He did do the pre-surgery blood tests. They told
me it was my decision to have it done but he wanted me to have it done.
Those blood tests were how we found out about his kidneys.