Thoughts on Rob's retirement OT (severely)

Old September 17th 03, 04:46 AM
Tanada

Default Thoughts on Rob's retirement OT (severely)

Tomorrow, today, September 17 is Rob's last day in the army. It seems
strange to know that we won't have the same life that we were used to.
True, this last year has been different than before, but there was still
the thought that Rob was in the military.

No more field problems with Rob coming home, hot, tired, dusty, muddy,
happy, irritated or complaining about whatever went wrong.

No more family support group meetings with women who understood when I
said something like, "I need to get the wash machine fixed before Rob
goes TDY next week, or it will break down."

No more Christmas, Easter, Halloween, Organization day parties/picnics.
No more overcooked hamburgers or half cooked chicken that is almost gone
anyway by the stampede of single soldiers forcing their way in line
anyway.

No more 4 am wake ups to take Rob to work because one of our vehicles is
on the fritz.

No more picking Rob up from work at 11 pm because some test pilot
decided that he was bored and wanted to test fly at 6 pm.

No more Christmases, birthdays, anniversaries, and other holidays with
him halfway around the world from us.

No more single parenthood.

No more loads of olive underwear, chameleon (camouflage) uniforms,
Lizard (flight) suits, or brown T-shirts.

No more worrying that he'll be caught in a helicopter crash, die
traveling between home or work, or that he'll be deployed and I won't
get to say good-bye.

No more complaints about his job, hours, cold feet, wet feet, lights on
at weird hours, or any of the other complaints I used to have abut his
work.

So why in the h*ll am I so sad?

Pam S.
Old September 17th 03, 04:56 AM
Mike P

"Tanada" wrote in message
[...]

Because it was a way of life that you two lead for many years. Don't let
anyone try to fool you will miss it after a while. The main thing is try and
find something to get into. Vol. at VA or anything, but don't sit in front
of that TV. I did that after I got out and it all most killed me. Now no
matter what I'm on the go. I don't care what I have to take or how much it
hurts get out of the house. BTW I still wake at five every morning. Eyes
just pop open like I have to get ready for PT.

Mike

Old September 17th 03, 05:04 AM
Brenda Watkins

"Tanada" wrote in message
[...]

change has a way of making us feel sad sometimes, even though the change is
for the better. Don't worry, Pam - it'll pass once you've "adjusted" to the
new.

hugs,
Brenda

Old September 17th 03, 05:35 AM
Sherry

Tomorrow, today, September 17 is Rob's last day in the army. It

So why in the h*ll am I so sad?

Transitions are always sad. Because I think it's rather a closed chapter in
your life. It's sort of like when our last kid left home. The empty nest was
something we'd looked forward to, but still it was sad.
But we weren't sad for long, and purrs to you that you won't be either. Because
it's also opening a brand new chapter!

Sherry
Old September 17th 03, 05:52 AM
PcolaPhil

It's like - - - - well, it's sorta like misplacing your security
blanket. After thirty years though it will have passed. Best to you
and Rob.

--

PcolaPhil
(Mostly a lurker)

"'Remove SPAMNOT. for emailing"

"Even if you are on the right track you will get run over if you just
sit there,"

- - - Will Rogers

Old September 17th 03, 08:42 AM
Yowie

"Tanada" wrote:

snippity

No more complaints about his job, hours, cold feet, wet feet, lights on
at weird hours, or any of the other complaints I used to have abut his
work.

So why in the h*ll am I so sad?

Aww, Pam, you are mourning a lifestyle that you have greatly enjoyed and has
brought you much happiness (the rose coloured glasses are looking after the
rest).

Us hoomins really don't like looking forward to change, we tend to think we
are content when everything is "normal" and "familiar" even if the next
change could be the best thing thats ever happened to us, often we are happy
just to keep things the way they are because we are used to it and we're
comfortable. Like when I cried after I left the moron I was with for too
long - although I knew 100% that i was making the right decision and it
could only be "up" from there on in, I still had to mourn the passing of an
era. And so do you. Nothing wrong with mourning you know, you have to go
through it as part of the "letting go" process. If you don't you'll always
be living in the past, and I simply cannot imagine you & Rob and the rest of
the Shirk family & affliates not moving on and living the life that presents
itself to you in the fullest. Sure, there will be things you won't be doing
any more, and you can visit those memories any time you like, but you'll
also be doing stuff that you could have never have done while Rob was still
in the Army as well.

So, remember, some things will change, and you can't do anything about it.
And some things won't no matter how hard you try. But there is a big grey
bit in the middle that is entirely up to you. Grab life by the 'nads and
enjoy it for what it is: life.

Many hugs & purrs. Remember, we are here.

Yowie

Old September 17th 03, 09:34 AM
Yoj

"Tanada" wrote in message
[...]

Changes are usually scary, and a little bit sad. You'll probably miss
the camaraderie of the military and their wives. However, I'll bet it
won't be long before you make new friends and find you're loving a more
"normal" life.

Joy

Old September 17th 03, 09:53 AM
John Biltz

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 0:42:52 -0700, Yowie wrote
(in message ):

"Tanada" wrote:

snippity

No more complaints about his job, hours, cold feet, wet feet, lights on
at weird hours, or any of the other complaints I used to have abut his
work.

So why in the h*ll am I so sad?

Aww, Pam, you are mourning a lifestyle that you have greatly enjoyed and has
brought you much happiness (the rose coloured glasses are looking after the
rest).

Its an awful shock being out after a career. When I retired I found a
lot of changes. The largest was not the not having to get up or being on
duty 24/7 and all that. It was a fundemantal change in how I viewed and
refered to myself. For 20 years I was a soldier. Its more than how you
earn a living. Its a lot harder than moving from one job to another.
During that time short hair had enough time to come back into style and
soldiering went from being a disrespectful job to a respected and noble
profession. I missed being able to tell people I was a soldier. Its
tough working just for a paycheck after that. The next hardest thing for
me was the routine of every day working. When I was in every day was
different from the day before. Every day you did something different.
I've been out four years and I still miss it a lot. I wouldn't go back
now if I could. But I miss it still.

Old September 17th 03, 02:53 PM
Marina

"Tanada" wrote
Tomorrow, today, September 17 is Rob's last day in the army.

snip

So why in the h*ll am I so sad?

Oh, Pam, I know the feeling. I cried when I left a job that I had had for
nine years, though I hated the job itself, didn't much like my workmates,
and had suffered sexual advances from a superior who was completely
obnoxious to me. It's just the change from something familiar to something
completely different.

I had made up my mind overnight to quit when they wouldn't give me time off
to attend an entrance exam to the university. I passed and entered the
academic world, where I still am, now as an employee. The time is
approaching when I think it's time to make a change again. I hope I have the
strength to do it.

The best of luck with whatever you two choose to do - is the "Merlin" still
on the agenda?

Purrs and hugs,
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old September 17th 03, 03:16 PM
Victor M. Martinez

Tanada wrote:
snip

Sounds like more pluses than minuses...

So why in the h*ll am I so sad?

Because it's human to be afraid of change. Change is unsettling. In that way
we're a lot like cats.
Let's hope this marks the beginning of a happier life for your family. We'll
be hopign it is.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv