lump on back.. how to determine fibrosarcoma?

Old July 30th 08, 10:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Brian Link

Default lump on back.. how to determine fibrosarcoma?

....besides a biopsy, that is.

(I'm currently unemployed, and we can't afford an exam right now for
Tiger, let alone any surgery or testing.)

So while I'm worrying, I wonder whether there's some other way to get
a feel for what the lump could be.

It's about nickel-sized though oblong, above the muscle but below the
skin. It's located next to the spine but not on it, about an inch
anterior to the pelvis. It's "pulpy-feeling", can be moved around, and
doesn't appear to cause any discomfort.

What else might it be? Abscess maybe?

We lost a cat to fibrosarcoma several years back, and from the first
time we located Roy's mass it was very solid-feeling, pretty different
than Tiger's. I've been reading that Vaccination-related FS most often
appears within a few months of vaccination, and it's been a few years
for Tiger.

Thanks for any ideas (and well-wishes). Tiger's around 14 but still
very active and otherwise a picture of health.

BLink
--------------------------
"The worst thing about censorship is [redacted]"
Old July 30th 08, 10:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Brian Link" wrote in message
...besides a biopsy, that is.

(I'm currently unemployed, and we can't afford an exam right now for
Tiger, let alone any surgery or testing.)

Take him to a shelter. Anywhere would be better than with you, since you
know that you will not get him treatment, or even tests. [There is always a
way. Sell something on ebay, take ANY job. What would you do if this were
your child?

Back into my bozo bin with you. Ass.

Old July 30th 08, 10:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"cybercat" wrote in message

"Brian Link" wrote in message
...besides a biopsy, that is.

And another thing--what a stupid ****ing question. How would you suggest
finding out? A ouija board, maybe?

Old July 30th 08, 11:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"Brian Link" wrote in message
[...]

This is an impossible question to direct to a newsgroup. There is simply no
way to diagnose a cat this way. Even a vet could not do that. Tiger really
needs to be examined by a vet, and it needs to be done ASAP. If you are
lucky, it will be a cyst that is no problem. If not, you may catch
something in the early stages when treatment is both more effective and less
costly. Somehow or other, you need to find a way to get proper treatment
for a cat that has given you 14 years and hopefully will have many more.
Many vets will let us pay on an extended payment plan, especially if you
have established a long-term relationship. There are also some low-interest
credit cards available. But *please* recognize that evaluation by a
competent vet is not only "desirable"; it is essential.

MaryL

Old July 31st 08, 12:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Brian Link

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 17:43:55 -0400, "cybercat"
wrote:

"Brian Link" wrote in message
.. .
...besides a biopsy, that is.

(I'm currently unemployed, and we can't afford an exam right now for
Tiger, let alone any surgery or testing.)

Take him to a shelter. Anywhere would be better than with you, since you
know that you will not get him treatment, or even tests. [There is always a
way. Sell something on ebay, take ANY job. What would you do if this were
your child?

Back into my bozo bin with you. Ass.

Oh, PLEASE, put me back into your bozo bin! PLEASE! I'd love to post
something someday and actually find a useful response instead of your
obviously whiskey-fuelled trolls.

I would do something if this was my child. It is not, and there is no
medicaid or Cobra insurance that covers housepets. God you're an
idiot.

Put him in a shelter? Think they'll give him chemo? Or even diagnose
anything? That's preferable to me trying to find out some other
alternative or waiting till I can afford treatment?

You don't really give a **** about cats you heartless bitch. You don't
give a **** about people either.

You won't put me in your "bozo bin". I wouldn't be so lucky. I'll put
you in mine though - it's called "plonk". In the meantime, please die
in a fire.

BLink
"God created all tribes of men, and certainly had a righteous purpose in creating each"
- Geronimo
Old July 31st 08, 12:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Brian Link

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 17:14:02 -0500, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

"Brian Link" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks Mary. That's the kind of feedback I was looking for.

I guess I'll start hitting up family members for some cash - the visit
is only "just" beyond our reach - I need to find out how much they
charge for the syringe biopsy.

Even then though - we had major surgery for Roy, and the sarcoma came
back. After $1000 and a month of rehabilitation, he got only an
additional year before we had to have him put down.

Damn. They're so strong and smart, and really delicate at the same
time.

Old July 31st 08, 12:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"Brian Link" wrote in message
On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 17:14:02 -0500, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

"Brian Link" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Thanks, Brian. Please keep us updated with results. We will all hope that
this is something benign and inconsequential. I had a cat that developed a
*huge* cyst when he was about 16 or 17 years old. Fortunately, all we had
to do was have it drained and there were no further problems. I hope
Tiger's will be something like that. (The cyst, as I remember it, was large
and black. It was on the side of his face and protruded upward. It was
also soft, movable, and did not seem to cause discomfort. However, it *was*
important to have it drained. The vet had me watch it for awhile but then
drained it because it was growing so large that it could have split and
caused infection. This was a great many years ago -- and my very first
cat -- so I no longer remember some of the details.)

MaryL

Old July 31st 08, 01:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"MaryL" wrote

It's about nickel-sized though oblong, above the muscle but below the
skin. It's located next to the spine but not on it, about an inch
anterior to the pelvis. It's "pulpy-feeling", can be moved around, and
doesn't appear to cause any discomfort.

What else might it be? Abscess maybe?

Looking back now, have deleted several messages without really reading
them. Mea culpa.

Obviuously a vet visit is 'best' but here's what I have experienced.

Pulpy but not firm. More apt to be an abcess it seems and it will get firm
if not treated. Not expensive in the long run. Pretty much they lanced it
then there was an antibiotic that had to be given for I think 10 days with a
syringe. Have to see the vet to treat it.

In a house with multiple cats (some or all still naturally clawed atleast at
the back feet) this can happen from a puncture wound which leaves no outside
side any of us would see after a day or so. Can take a few weeks to build
up. Basically they make an puncture would then it seals up and leaves
infection behind 'under the skin' which slowly grows. Same can happen to us
humans.

Not to be ignored, but not a cancer. Should not wait to treat. Potential
blood poisioning from infection.

I've had a few occurances of this over the years with cats as i do not agree
with declawing and the only cats in my home who have been declawed, came to
me that way.

One scrap of advice from a vet many years ago. Not sure if related but not
'horrible' to pass on. If you have normal cats with normal claws, change
the cat litter OFTEN so they scritch about in a fairly clean environment and
carry less 'ick' that that can cause this on their claws. I do not know if
this is true, but it seemed very sensible to me in a multi-cat home and have
always followed it. I've rarely had problems since.

Hopefully this helps. It was meant to at least!

Old July 31st 08, 02:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"cshenk" wrote in message
"MaryL" wrote

[...]

The original message came from Brian, not from me. That looks like good
information, though.

MaryL

Old July 31st 08, 06:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sherry

On Jul 30, 4:43*pm, Brian Link wrote:
[...]

Vax-related sarcomas can appear as long as three years after the last
vaccination. It's very aggressive. The tumor will begin growing
"fingers"
down the back of the cat, and that makes it impossible to remove if
you
wait too long. There's a much better chance of removal if you don't
delay.
I am *not* an expert on the subject, but I do know a little about it
because
my daughter's cat has one. You really have no choice, IMO, but to see
a vet. It doesn't sound like an abscess to me. IME, abscesses *hurt*
-- my cats never let me touch one.

Sherry