OT County Leash Laws

Old June 14th 04, 02:59 PM
Sherry

Default OT County Leash Laws

That's weird. Counties don't regulate pet ordinances. Municipalities do.
Or
at least that's the way it is here.

It totally depends.

Can you expand on that, Laura. Admitting first I'm sure not a whiz on
government..but here's the way I see ithe
I thought an ordinance was strictly a municipal regulation. The city council
would pass a, say, leash law for the city. However, once you're outside city
limits, the ordinance cannot be enforced. Any animal issues occurring outside
city limits are enforceable only by county law enforcement; but those laws
would be just State Laws. I guess the exception would be if there are
county-specific state laws.
Of course the same state law applies everywhere; but what I don't get is how a
leash ordinance can be a "county ordinance." wouldn't it apply to rural areas,
also, then? What body *creates* the ordinance?
I forget that sometimes the US is like 50 different little countries.
Yours in confusion,
Sherry
Old June 14th 04, 04:38 PM
KellyH

"Sherry " wrote in message
[...]

This is just my experience in the two states I have lived in. I imagine
there are many other variations out there.

I am from Maryland, where the county basically *is* the municipality. Each
county runs a school system, police and fire department, trash pick-up, and
makes the laws for things like animal leash laws, health codes, etc. There
are communities within the county, but you are under the same rules and
regulations within the county.

I currently live in Massachusetts, where every little town is an entity unto
itself. This was a very weird concept for me to understand at first. Each
little town within a county has its own police and fire department, school
system, trash, water, property taxes, and makes its own laws about animal
control and leash laws, how loud you can play your stereo, stuff like that.
I think all the county does is run the court system. I don't really know if
the county makes laws that would supersede the town laws.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old June 14th 04, 10:08 PM
Sherry

I currently live in Massachusetts, where every little town is an entity unto
itself.

Thanks for the reply, Kelly. What you'[ve described is the way it is here.
That's why I couldn't imagine a "county ordinance."

Sherry

Old June 15th 04, 06:31 AM
Sherry

Did you see the list of rabies regulations I posted a week or two
ago? In researching it, I found that it varies *widely*. Let me know
if you can't find it and I can re-post it.

Laura
--

Gotcha. Thanks.

Sherry