[OT] I'm In Shock!

Old April 16th 05, 11:38 AM
CK

Yowie wrote:
"CK" wrote in message

I pay a basic rate of 25% and if it exceeds a certain limit it jumps to
41,5%. And then there are the V.A.T.'s - 17% on foodstuffs, 22% on
non-edables and services (= restaurants, hotels, hairdressers...), 8% on
traffic (bus-, traintickets, taxi etc.). Don't know the "hidden" ones so
well, such as tobacco, alcohol, gasoline etc.

What do you get for your high tax rate? I don't mind paying lots of tax
providing its worth it.

Yowie

Taxes pay for health care, subsidise city transport, lots of stuff... I
guess you can tell I don't know it all that well, huh?
If it interests you, dive into the website of the Finnish Tax
Administration at
http://www.vero.fi/default.asp?langu...n=VERO_ENGLISH
or the Finnish Ministry of Finance at
http://www.vm.fi/vm/liston/page.lsp?r=2622&l=en

The links should direct you straight to the English side of the website.

--
Christine in Vantaa, Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old April 18th 05, 11:42 AM
Marina

CK wrote:
Yowie wrote:

"CK" wrote in message

I pay a basic rate of 25% and if it exceeds a certain limit it jumps to
41,5%. And then there are the V.A.T.'s - 17% on foodstuffs, 22% on
non-edables and services (= restaurants, hotels, hairdressers...), 8% on
traffic (bus-, traintickets, taxi etc.). Don't know the "hidden" ones so
well, such as tobacco, alcohol, gasoline etc.

What do you get for your high tax rate? I don't mind paying lots of tax
providing its worth it.

Yowie

Taxes pay for health care, subsidise city transport, lots of stuff...

Plus free education up to university degrees (we don't have any tuition
fees at any level of education). Undergraduates also get a monthly
supplement. Universal health care, unemployment benefits that are not
much but you can get by on them, subsidised transport (not just city but
national, e.g. trains) etc. I pay 26.5 % up to a certain limit, and 45.5
% on anyhting that goes over the limit, but I'm quite happy to pay,
considering all the services I get for it. Come to think of it, my
salary comes out of tax money, too, since I work at a university. )

--
Marina, Frank, Nikki, and introducing: Mere!
Old April 22nd 05, 12:16 AM
Yowie

YOu can deduct your mortgage interest?????? *boggle*

We can only do that if its an investment property, not your family home.

Yowie

"Hopitus" wrote in message
Yeah, that's what they told *me* when I lived in Bay
Area! So we moved back to FL and I got a house - to
deduct the mortgage interest....never been sorry I did that. Got a

low-down
FHA loan (you got to have real good credit & a job) and 15 years later got
over double
what I paid for the house. Much better than another
spouse, all around.

"Karen" wrote in message
in article ,
Melissa Houle at wrote on 4/14/05

12:29AM:

CatNipped wrote in message
We just got back from H&R Block. We owe *FOUR THOUSAND SIX HUNDRED
DOLLARS*
to the IRS! thud

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

*Melissa anxiously waves a bottle of smelling salts under Catnipped
nose.....

I'm sorry, that is a definite shocker. If it's any help, you're not
alone.
Proportionately speaking, I had a heck of a tax hit when I went to my
appointment last week. I tried to convince my tax man that three cats
OUGHT
to equal one child, but he just shook his head and laughed. He's a

very
nice fellow, really. As nice as anyone can be who financially cleans
one's
clock.

Melissa

They always look at me and say you need a spouse. Or a house. And some
children.

Old April 23rd 05, 04:50 AM
Marina

Yowie wrote:

YOu can deduct your mortgage interest?????? *boggle*

We can do that in Finland, too.

--
Marina, Frank, Nikki, and introducing: Mere!
Old April 23rd 05, 05:24 AM
Victor Martinez

Yowie wrote:
YOu can deduct your mortgage interest?????? *boggle*
We can only do that if its an investment property, not your family home.

In the US you can deduct from your federal taxable income the following:
state income tax (not an issue in Texas)
mortgage interest on your primary home
contributions to certain retirement plans
contributions to charities
health expenses (only if they add up to more than some insane percentage
of your total income)
sales tax (for states without income tax, like Texas)
and some other things...

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he