That is not CHEESE!

Old August 30th 04, 11:01 AM
O J

On Mon, 30 Aug, Joyce wrote:

EvelynVogtGamble wrote:

[caviar] is definitely an acquired taste - salty and rather
fishy-tasting -

Does it taste anything like anchovies?

Not really.

I've never tasted caviar but
I do like anchovies, which are extremely salty and fishy-tasting.

If you like anchovies, you will probably like caviar. You don't have
to buy the most expensive kind to try it. Some moderately priced
varieties should be available in your supermarket. Try it, and then
if you like it, you can get the Beluga version for a special occasion.
Serve it on trimmed toast points or fairly plain tasting crackers.

Regards and Purrs,
O J

Old August 31st 04, 11:55 AM
Adrian

Christina Websell wrote:
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote in
message ...

Christina Websell wrote:

"Karen Chuplis" wrote in message

My dad used to sit down with a chunk of cheddar cheese almost
every night and the cheese loving cats would gather around for the
bits he would eventually pull off and give to them.

Give cheddar to cats? Delicious expensive English cheddar? Can
hardly believe it.
Next thing you'll be telling he gave them Stilton, presently
retailing at more than 7 quid/lb
especially the vintage one. IT'S YUMMY. and if I could get bigger
letters than that I would
If any of you have never had a chance to try Stilton, try to if you
like blue cheese and you can get it

Thank goodness for Trader Joe's! (Mostly in California, but other
locations on both coasts.) They don't have quite as much English
cheese as they once did, since the dollar is much lower than it was
a few years ago, but there's usually Stilton - for a lot less than
£7 ($12.53) a pound!

Sorry, meant per kilo. Can't get used to kilos. Stupid kilos, EU
thing. I still do pounds and ounces, and degrees F. 30C I know is
hot. I'd rather they said it was around 90F. I can imagine it
better that way.

Tweed

I still convert prices to £ s d just for the hell of it.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Old August 31st 04, 06:51 PM
Christina Websell

Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

I find that too scary. My grandmother always claimed that decimalisation
was an excuse to double the price of everything. A shilling (12d) suddenly
became 5p. She came home once after buying a nice load of bread for 47p.
"Nearly 10/- for a loaf..!" she kept saying, shaking her head..

Strangely enough I can visualise minus C better than - F now. I know
exactly how much ice will be on my chickens drinkers if it's -1C. Not too
much, easily removable by a finger. -5 I have to use a screwdriver to chip
it out, and more than -8 you might as well forget it, and get a bucket of
boiling water to dip it it, it'll be solid. At -6 and below my fingers
stick to anything metal, like latches and bolts. Brrr.
Now I know that isn't too bad really, my Michigan friend gets amazingly low
temperatures there.
I don't think I could live there.

Tweed

Old September 2nd 04, 12:03 PM
Adrian

Christina Websell wrote:

Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

The lowest temperature I can remember in England was -17°C A lot of
lorries broke down that night as diesel freezes at -16 without
additives. I also remember the winter of 1963 when the temperature staid
below freezing for weeks, the cat was glued to the fire. :-)