I hate depression

Old February 27th 05, 12:14 AM
Tanada

Gabey8 wrote:

I'm rambling. So let me just say that I'm posting this to say I'd
appreciate all prayers, purrs, good thoughts, and anything else that
anybody can send my way so this bout with depression will be lifted, AND
so I can get a permanent job that pays a LIVING WAGE *ASAP*.

If not for DH, the cats, and the fact that I still enjoy going to hockey
games, there'd be darn few things in life that I am still able to derive
joy from. So, thank God for all of them.

I hate feeling like this. I hope the cloud lifts soon.

Donna

Donna, you have all of our sympathy. Depression is not easy anyway, and
when it escalates it is like having someone drop a back pack loaded with
rocks on your back. I think a lot of us in here have fought depression
at one time or another, so we do understand what you mean. Lots of
purrs, murps (Calvin), Headbutts, sympathy and healing and job thoughts
from us all here.

Pam, Rob, and the Fayetteville Five + Calvin, Sonya and Speedy the d-thing
Old February 27th 05, 12:19 AM
Mary

Tanada wrote:
Gabey8 wrote:

[...]

And those of us who have not experienced it but have lived with loved
ones who have also understand and send our heartfelt hope for a speedy
recovery.
Old February 27th 05, 12:44 AM
Victor Martinez

Lots and lots of purrs going your way.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old February 27th 05, 01:39 AM
Howard Berkowitz

In article ,
wrote:

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 13:22:31 -0500, "Gabey8"
yodeled:

My final day at my temp job is Monday.

I just got the letter telling me what my unemployment compensation will
be. And as little as I was making as a temp, the unemployment comp is
even
less. This is not good. (

What's not helping is the bout of depression that's rapidly setting in,
which makes it hard to actually DO anything... or even to WANT to do
anything. I know I'm far from the only person who's dealt with
depression
on this board, so I'm sure there are numerous people who know just what
mean when I say that. And may anyone who HASN'T experienced *never* know
what I mean. It's a terrible feeling.

I hear ya. It is well-nigh impossible for an undepressed person with
no special training, to understand clinical depression. You just see
the world differently. I'm lucky-- no, not lucky to have a depression
problem, but at lucky that I have a number of people in my life who
are able to understand.

Purrs for your pain. You know what helps you and what doesn't. Oddly
enough, when I am depressed, I find an amazing amount of comfort when
I don't look for the big things, and concentrate on little things. I'm
just going to read this book, or watch this movie. Anything that
takes you out of yourself for a little while.

Of course, getting up and doing things is the best thing for you, but
it's so hard to get up and get started. Anti-depression medication
has been taking a beating in the press lately, but I could not be
exaggerating when I say it has saved my life. That little adjustment
in my brain chemistry has often turned out to be the thing that
allowed me to get out of bed in the morning.

There's a lot of unholy interaction between press coverage of
antidepressants, and physicians that don't use them properly. Most of
the concern recently has been about one class of antidepressants, the
"second generation". "typical", selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors.

Unfortunately, a lot of physicians have gotten into the habit of
prescribing "typical" SSRIs for almost every emotional disturbance, and
I do feel some pharmaceutical industry pressure is involved. Sometimes,
an antidepressant is not the best drug, or a different class of
antidepressant, or a combination of drugs -- which can involve, say, two
differently acting antidepressants plus an antianxiety agent. I greatly
reduced side effects by changing to a "first generation" tricyclic,
along with a couple of other drugs.

I now have the advantage of having a new psychiatrist in a medical
school program, which is also extremely sensitive to coexisting physical
illness. We are very carefully and scientifically fine-tuning drugs.
It's amusing, as the intake resident got into a real power struggle with
me when I used technical terms (correctly), but the new one is delighted
that we can discuss the nuances -- he started laughing when I gave him a
detailed history and medication record, saying it usually took two hours
to worm this out of patients. One fascinating dynamic is that he has a
medical student present, which I had wondered about.

The student just listens, other than an occasional social comment
outside the office. He's one of those people that seems like a natural
healer---just silently, he's comforting to be around. He's also
fascinated when the senior physician and I actually discuss alternatives.

If a given antidepressant isn't working, don't take it for granted.
First-generation TCA's (two families of them) are sometimes more
effective, are extremely inexpensive, and have different side effects
than SSRIs. Atypical antidepressants have a role, as do antianxiety
agents -- some of which are formally marketed as antipsychotics but have
other applications.

It's also a mistake to just say "depression." There are multiple types,
and the usual antidepressants are best for unipolar depression without
signficant anxiety -- one is down all the time. For bipolar or manic
states, anticonvulsants often are much better than more typical
antidepressants. Lithium remains a valuable drug, but it's probably more
unsafe than the anticonvulsants.
Old February 27th 05, 01:47 AM
L. (usenetlyn)

Gabey8 wrote:
My final day at my temp job is Monday.

Best of luck in finding a new position soon. And Bravo to you for
seeking treatment for depression - so many people won't. It's not any
different than another disease from a chemical imbalance. People
wouldn't dream of not treating diabetes, yet go years without
antidepressant therapy. It's sad.

Take care,
-L.

Old February 27th 05, 02:50 AM
Enfilade

Purrs and boils from four kitties.

I had a bad round with depression this time last year. The one thing
that kept me from calling myself worthless was the knowledge that I
was directly responsible for saving at least one of those kitties'
lives, helped raise the two abandoned infant kittens to fat-cathood,
and busted Nocturne out of the animal shelter. Were it not for me my
Smokey boy would likely have been killed by animal control as a "wild
nuisance animal."

Nor did I want to sadden my partner and kitties even though I wished
to die.

Several times the kitties intervened to discourage me from self-injury
by putting their paws on me.

Best of luck for the future, from someone who's been there.

--Fil

Believe me, I know what you're going through and employment related
problems are some of life's most stressful things. You mentioned
you're on appropriate meds, so that's good. Just try to take baby
steps in the direction that you want to go and keep plugging (I know;
easy to say, right?) Just remember, you're not alone and you can get
support from the group anytime -- we take care of those who take care
of kitties.

Hugs and Purrs,
O J

Old February 27th 05, 02:59 AM
CatNipped

"Enfilade" wrote in message
om...

Enfilade!! You're back!!!! I just pinged you not long ago 'cause I hadn't
seen a post from you in over a month?

Are you OK, or has RL been kicking your butt???? [Inquiring minds want to
know!!! Just kidding, you don't have to say if you don't want, I'm just
glad you're back.]

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old February 27th 05, 07:44 AM
jmcquown

Cheryl wrote:
On Sat 26 Feb 2005 05:33:17p, jmcquown wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
):

THAT didn't come out right! My LLL (long lost love) isn't
dipping into my retirement account! *I* am. He's sending me
money. And don't think that doesn't make me feel bad; it does.
But I don't know where I'd be without him.

Jill, sometimes you have to rely on loved ones and family to get you
through tough times. Please don't feel bad.

Thanks, Cheryl. I try not to feel bad but sometimes I feel like a mooch or
a real loser.

Jill

Old February 27th 05, 10:26 AM
Krista

Gabey8 wrote:
My final day at my temp job is Monday.

(snipped)

We are sending out big purrs, that the depression doesn't hit too hard
and that you find a good job right away. (((((Donna)))))

------
Krista

Old February 27th 05, 01:36 PM
polonca12000

A similar thing has happened to me at a job a few years ago and I know how
it feels. I also know what it's like to be really depressed. Please try to
focus on people and kitties that are here for you - it really is hard.
We are thinking of you, Donna, sending lots of purrs and best wishes for you
to get a really great job that pays well really soon,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"Gabey8" wrote in message
lkaboutpets.com...
My final day at my temp job is Monday.

I just got the letter telling me what my unemployment compensation will
be. And as little as I was making as a temp, the unemployment comp is even
less. This is not good. (

What's not helping is the bout of depression that's rapidly setting in,
which makes it hard to actually DO anything... or even to WANT to do
anything. I know I'm far from the only person who's dealt with depression
on this board, so I'm sure there are numerous people who know just what I
mean when I say that. And may anyone who HASN'T experienced *never* know
what I mean. It's a terrible feeling.

I mentioned this quite a while ago on here (when someone else was going
through a bout with depression a few years ago and there was an active
thread about it), but I was first diagnosed with depression 30+ years ago.
I was in elementary school at the time. I've been under a doctor's care
for some years now, and on meds, which help. It's a chemical thing. Such
is life. Usually, it's under control at least enough that I can live a
normal day-to-day life.

But nothing stops the occasional bout with depression that results from
the things that life throws at a person. Things like a death in the family
or, as in this case, seeing a temp job I really liked end after seeing
someone ELSE (who already worked for the company) get the permanent job
that was created to replace the temp assignment. That was a real blow.
I've been at this place for 16 months, DOING the very work that the
permanent job entails. But this company prefers to hire from within, even
when it means training the person from scratch to do their new job.

So I'm out in the cold. Even after everyone in my department couldn't say
enough good things about the quality of my work, my work ethic, my people
skills, etc.

And it hurts. Hence, the depression. Which was exacerbated last night when
I saw the pittance that will be the unemployment comp.

I am so, so tired of this. I got downsized from an IT position four years
ago and it's been a nightmare ever since.