[OT] I'm In Shock!

Old April 14th 05, 03:00 AM

CatNipped wrote:
We just got back from H&R Block. We owe *FOUR THOUSAND SIX HUNDRED

DOLLARS*
to the IRS! thud

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

I am sorry. I'm not playing "I can top this"....but it's just such a
coincidence....I went to have my taxes figured today, too.
I left the CPA and stopped at a gas station to use the restroom.
Someone jiggled the door, and in my haste, I reached back and flushed
the toilet, then stood up to pull up my jeans. My car keys fell out of
my pocket, into the toilet, and flushed on down.
I had to call AAA and have the car towed home, and I had to ride home
26 miles in the cab of said tow truck with a driver who was the
weirdest human being I have ever run across, who talked incessantly all
the way home.
Now I can't find my extra key. Mustang keys have that anti-theft chip,
so I am going to have to order one from the factory, for nearly $100 if
the extra doesn't turn up somewhere.
I wasn't going to tell this story, it is the dumbest thing I have ever
done. But I just had to remind you that THINGS CAN ALWAYS GET WORSE.

Sherry

Old April 14th 05, 03:23 AM
Bill Stock

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
CatNipped wrote:
We just got back from H&R Block. We owe *FOUR THOUSAND SIX HUNDRED
DOLLARS* to the IRS! thud

Oh, that SUCKS! Mega purrs from Persia, gentle birdie chirps from
Peaches
and my version of prayers for you.

Jill (doesn't want to think about next years taxes since she's been

dipping
into her IRA - granted, article 590 says I can in my circumstances but

they
will find a way to screw me)

That's what killed us. We had huge credit card bills so we figured we'd
get
some money out of the IRA to pay them off and save all those interest
charges. So we got $26,000 out and held out almost $6,000 for taxes for
that. But on *TOP* of that the IRS charged us a $2,600 penalty!!!! The
freaking government is charging us for using our own freaking
money!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Hugs,

CatNipped

I'm expecting a similar scenario this year. But in CDN $ of course. Our
taxes are not due until April 30th, so I haven't bothered to calculate the
bad news.

Old April 14th 05, 03:38 AM

CatNipped wrote:
We just got back from H&R Block. We owe *FOUR THOUSAND SIX HUNDRED

DOLLARS*
to the IRS! thud

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

Are you satisfied with H&R Block? I'm asking because we used to use
them, and every year their rates got higher and higher. We started
taking them to a CPA about five years ago. I was really surprised he
charged us *less* than H&R. One benefit is that he's available for any
kind of question all through the year, and doesn't charge us for that.

Old April 14th 05, 03:41 AM
Seanette Blaylock

"CatNipped" had some very interesting things
to say about [OT] I'm In Shock!:

We just got back from H&R Block. We owe *FOUR THOUSAND SIX HUNDRED DOLLARS*
to the IRS! thud

AIEEEEE!!!!! Condolence purrs, coos, and chocolate.

Old April 14th 05, 04:00 AM
Jo Firey

"CatNipped" wrote in message

But that's what we withheld - 26%. And they charged us $2,600 on *top* of
that!

Boy I used to hate giving anyone news like you got. Never minded when
someone who made a lot owed a lot. But the sneak attacks when someone is
trying to stay even are the pitts.

To give you an idea what probably messed you up. You took a fairly large
amount out of your IRA, On top of your other income it likely got taxed at
a marginal rate of 25% Plus the 10% early withdrawal penalty the federal
tax on $26000 would be 35% or $9100. And that's before the state gets into
the act.

Whatever you do, mail the return on time. You do not need late filing
penalties. Then find out from your tax preparer what late payment penalties
and interest to the IRS would cost you so you can compare it to the cost of
the loan.

I'm truly sorry you got such crummy news.

Jo

Old April 14th 05, 04:07 AM
pmendhall

That seems like an awful lot of money to be sending in. You might look at
the on-line tax forms, as a double check. Many of them have free services
for the fed taxes. It might be worth checking out. We took ours to H&R
Block a couple of years ago and realized that using the online submission we
actually saved more money than H&R Block found for us.

A lot of it depends on how well trained the H&R Block rep is on taxes.

Diane

http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

Old April 14th 05, 04:44 AM
Jeanne Hedge

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 20:00:36 -0700, "Jo Firey"
wrote:

Whatever you do, mail the return on time. You do not need late filing
penalties. Then find out from your tax preparer what late payment penalties
and interest to the IRS would cost you so you can compare it to the cost of
the loan.

Jo-

I heard that the IRS charges penalties if you don't make any sort of
payment, but the amount of penalty depends on if you file on time. I
heard it was something like a 5% penalty if you don't file but 0.5% if
you do file. Plus they'll help you work out a payment plan. True?

I really found the tax "advice" of putting what you owe on your credit
cards amusing (this was on CNN). The did say it wasn't the best idea,
but also said that if your plastic gives you some sort of benefit
(like frequent flier miles or Discover's rebates) then it might be
worth considering. More debt to the bank to get out of debt to the
government, eh?

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

http://www.jhedge.com
Old April 14th 05, 05:02 AM
mlbriggs

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 19:00:17 -0700, sriddles wrote:

CatNipped wrote:
[...]

I know it is not a "bright side" but think of the lesson learned! Like I
always told my son "chalk it up to experience". MLB