[OT] I'm In Shock!

Old April 14th 05, 06:29 AM
Melissa Houle

CatNipped wrote in message
We just got back from H&R Block. We owe *FOUR THOUSAND SIX HUNDRED

DOLLARS*
to the IRS! thud

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

*Melissa anxiously waves a bottle of smelling salts under Catnipped
nose.....

I'm sorry, that is a definite shocker. If it's any help, you're not alone.
Proportionately speaking, I had a heck of a tax hit when I went to my
appointment last week. I tried to convince my tax man that three cats OUGHT
to equal one child, but he just shook his head and laughed. He's a very
nice fellow, really. As nice as anyone can be who financially cleans one's
clock.

Melissa

Old April 14th 05, 06:34 AM
Mary

"Melissa Houle" wrote in message

CatNipped wrote in message
We just got back from H&R Block. We owe *FOUR THOUSAND SIX HUNDRED

DOLLARS*
to the IRS! thud

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

*Melissa anxiously waves a bottle of smelling salts under Catnipped
nose.....

I'm sorry, that is a definite shocker. If it's any help, you're not

alone.
Proportionately speaking, I had a heck of a tax hit when I went to my
appointment last week. I tried to convince my tax man that three cats

OUGHT
to equal one child, but he just shook his head and laughed.

One child! Six children!

Old April 14th 05, 06:50 AM
-L.

I am sorry. I'm not playing "I can top this"....but it's just such a
coincidence....I went to have my taxes figured today, too.
I left the CPA and stopped at a gas station to use the restroom.
Someone jiggled the door, and in my haste, I reached back and flushed
the toilet, then stood up to pull up my jeans. My car keys fell out

of
my pocket, into the toilet, and flushed on down.
I had to call AAA and have the car towed home, and I had to ride home
26 miles in the cab of said tow truck with a driver who was the
weirdest human being I have ever run across, who talked incessantly

all
the way home.
Now I can't find my extra key. Mustang keys have that anti-theft

chip,
so I am going to have to order one from the factory, for nearly $100

if
the extra doesn't turn up somewhere.
I wasn't going to tell this story, it is the dumbest thing I have

ever
done. But I just had to remind you that THINGS CAN ALWAYS GET WORSE.

Sherry

Even in reading it again. I can't believe this. Man, Sherry, I though
*I* had a tough day, LOL...
-L.

Old April 14th 05, 06:51 AM
Yowie

"CatNipped" wrote in message
We just got back from H&R Block. We owe *FOUR THOUSAND SIX HUNDRED

DOLLARS*
to the IRS! thud

Oh dear! megapurrs!

Um, hate to say this but every time I've been to H&R block, they've always
screwed up my return, and my return is pretty easy and the mistakes they
make so simple even I can find them.

If you can afford another accountant, I'd reccomend that he or she checks
that figure very carefully. For your sake, I hope its a screw up.

Yowie

Old April 14th 05, 06:54 AM
Yowie

"mlbriggs" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 19:00:17 -0700, sriddles wrote:

CatNipped wrote:
[...]

I know it is not a "bright side" but think of the lesson learned! Like I
always told my son "chalk it up to experience". MLB

Experience: what you get right after you need it.

Yowie

Old April 14th 05, 07:03 AM
-L.

jmcquown wrote:
Yeah, BUT, IRA's are funds set aside pre-taxes. When I got my

partial
distributions I had them withhold tax. I also talked with my tax

advisor
AND with an IRS Rep. I'm unemployed, my sole income is ME and I have
medical expenses so I allegedly qualify for partial distributions

without
the penalty for early withdrawal. We shall see next year.

I'm still sorry to hear you got hit so hard. That sucks. They

really
shouldn't tax retirement savings, IMHO.

Jill

I don't have any problem with it. Look at how many people can't afford
an IRA at all...it's pretty much a luxury.

I don't really understand why people complain about having to pay taxes
at the end of the year when they have underpaid. Your witholding is
under your control and it's not that difficult to figure out how much
you should have withheld, to break even.

-L.

Old April 14th 05, 10:41 AM
jmcquown

-L. wrote:
jmcquown wrote:
Yeah, BUT, IRA's are funds set aside pre-taxes. When I got my
partial distributions I had them withhold tax. I also talked with
my tax advisor AND with an IRS Rep. I'm unemployed, my sole income
is ME and I have medical expenses so I allegedly qualify for partial
distributions without the penalty for early withdrawal. We shall
see next year.

I'm still sorry to hear you got hit so hard. That sucks. They
really shouldn't tax retirement savings, IMHO.

Jill

I don't have any problem with it. Look at how many people can't
afford an IRA at all...it's pretty much a luxury.

It's not a luxury. I've paid into the Social Security system for 25 years
but it's doubtful I'll get enough back to be able to live on the "pension"
they give me in 20 years. The IRA I have was a 401K provided by my employer
but the money that went into it came out of my blood sweat and tears.

I had it "rolled over" into an IRA when I lost my job a year ago. Again, I
paid into that fund with my own hard-earned money; it came out of my
paycheck. It's *my* money. I have no problem paying taxes on it. But you
should be able to use it when needed without being hit with a double-whammy
called a "penalty" for early withdrawal *after* electing to pay the taxes on
it up front when you need to use some of it.

Jill

Old April 14th 05, 11:08 AM
hobbs

So sorry to hear that Catnipped, It must be devastating,
not that I understand anything to do with American taxes
but it sounds awful Hugs and best wishes. Jean.P.

Old April 14th 05, 12:33 PM
Karen

in article ,
Melissa Houle at wrote on 4/14/05 12:29AM:

CatNipped wrote in message
We just got back from H&R Block. We owe *FOUR THOUSAND SIX HUNDRED

DOLLARS*
to the IRS! thud

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

*Melissa anxiously waves a bottle of smelling salts under Catnipped
nose.....

I'm sorry, that is a definite shocker. If it's any help, you're not alone.
Proportionately speaking, I had a heck of a tax hit when I went to my
appointment last week. I tried to convince my tax man that three cats OUGHT
to equal one child, but he just shook his head and laughed. He's a very
nice fellow, really. As nice as anyone can be who financially cleans one's
clock.

Melissa

They always look at me and say you need a spouse. Or a house. And some
children.