Been curled up in a ball again (just like a cat, eh?)

Old December 17th 07, 09:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn

Default Been curled up in a ball again (just like a cat, eh?)

wrote:
Ginger-lyn wrote:

You may have Fibromyalgia - ask your doctor about this (more and more
doctors are becoming aware of this painful disorder).

I've been thinking that, or that one that makes you tired all the time
(is there one that makes you not be able to think -- lol), or some
combination.

You mean Chronic Fatigue? I think that can have cognitive effects,
yes.

Thank you! That's what I was trying to remember.

Also, there's clinical depression. It can be expressed in symptoms
that you wouldn't necessarily identify as depression, such as tiredness,
loss of sex drive, inability to concentrate. And you don't necessarily
have to have "sad" feelings, either. So the usual image we get of a
depressed person - weepy, mopey, not wanting to do anything - while
those things can certainly be part of it, they don't have to.

I've had clinical depression, too many times. But most of the "experts"
of late say any depression I have is situational rather than clinical.

Joyce - unfortunately, a bit of an expert on this topic :-/

{{{{Joyce}}}}}

Ginger-lyn

--
Home Pages:
http://www.moonsummer.com
Old December 17th 07, 09:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn

polonca12000 wrote:
Ginger-lyn wrote:
snip
So I've been curled up in my little ball (when Pinky's not curled
around my head) again, listening to the frequent rain falling, and
wishing life was better. But I'm here.

Ginger-lyn

Lots and lots of purrs and gentle hugs,
Polonca and Soncek

Thank you, Polonca, and Soncek, too :-)

Ginger-lyn

--
Home Pages:
http://www.moonsummer.com
Old December 17th 07, 09:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Ginger-lyn wrote:

I've had clinical depression, too many times. But most of the "experts"
of late say any depression I have is situational rather than clinical.

How can any of this be separated? Your mood is a result of things going
on in your body, your mind, your life, the phases of the moon, all sorts
of things.

Sometimes when a depressed mood comes over me and I can't pinpoint the
reason, I go through a litany of possibilities: is it psychological,
situational, brain-chemical, hormonal, viral, meteorological, or sleep-
related? Or something else? It's hard enough to figure that out for
yourself - how could someone else, even an "expert", tell you where
it's coming from? What do you think?

Joyce
Old December 27th 07, 10:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn

wrote:
Ginger-lyn wrote:

I've had clinical depression, too many times. But most of the "experts"
of late say any depression I have is situational rather than clinical.

How can any of this be separated? Your mood is a result of things going
on in your body, your mind, your life, the phases of the moon, all sorts
of things.

Sometimes when a depressed mood comes over me and I can't pinpoint the
reason, I go through a litany of possibilities: is it psychological,
situational, brain-chemical, hormonal, viral, meteorological, or sleep-
related? Or something else? It's hard enough to figure that out for
yourself - how could someone else, even an "expert", tell you where
it's coming from? What do you think?

Joyce

That's a good question. Honestly, I am one of "those people" who don't
put a lot of stock in chemicals being the reason for everything. I'm a
poet; I'm spiritual; I see things through those lenses, not through
scientific explanations. And I think this culture is *way* too drugged
(and that is not to take away from anyone who has received immense
relief from chemicals; if that is what works for you, and helps you,
then I am happy. I just think we're too quick to say "You have a
problem -- here, have some pills to make it all go away."

I do the same litany thing as you do, and I think it's a good thing to
do. Sometimes, it can pinpoint what is going on, even though it is
sometimes difficult, and often it is a combination of things.

I don't think much of "experts", either. (Boy, am I being curmudgeonly
here! Probably because I just finished reading "The Cat Who Came for
Chirstmas ;-) ). However, I *do* think they are probably right in this
case. Had I a situation where I was truly loved and happy, had the
wherewithal I need to live comfortably, had more and better friends, a
safer and nicer environment and all that (which yeah, I know, most of us
don't have *all* of that), then I think I would be happy. I do think
the situational depression is complicated right now by seasonal
depression, but I do much better with that than I used to. Once I
realized "Hey, I'm a Pagan. I am in touch with the Earth. The *Earth*
is depressed, for heaven's sake; why shouldn't I be?", I quit being so
depressed about winter. I just tend to try to make it as easy on myself
as possible (buy in bulk, go out as little as possible, plenty of
blankets, crank the heat up and worry about the bills later, and make
sure I have plenty of warm kitties to cuddle up to :-)), and that really
helps.

Babbling again ;-)

Ginger-lyn

--
Home Pages:
http://www.moonsummer.com
Old December 27th 07, 11:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Ginger-lyn wrote:

That's a good question. Honestly, I am one of "those people" who don't
put a lot of stock in chemicals being the reason for everything. I'm a
poet; I'm spiritual; I see things through those lenses, not through
scientific explanations.

Just to be clear, I do not believe that chemicals are the reason for
everything. I know you weren't saying I do, but I just want everyone else
to know. In fact, I have a hard time with anyone who thinks that there
is one reason - whatever it is - for everything. Our psyches are complex,
and are subject to many different influences.

I have a friend who does seem to believe that it's all about brain
chemistry. Every time I tell her I'm feeling down, but I'm not sure why,
she asks if I might need to have my medication adjusted - even after
I've asked her not to say that!

But I also have another friend tends to think that drugs are about
"numbing out" and escaping your feelings, rather than really dealing
with them. She thinks we should develop our spirituality as the path
to healing. And while I have no doubt whatsoever that spirituality is
tremendously healing to many people, it's not a panacea either. It
doesn't work for everyone. And I don't need to apologize for using
medications if they help me.

Then there are psychotherapists who pathologize everything, and think
that it's all about what your mother did or didn't do. I have to admit
that this belief, limited as it is, is probably closer to my own than
any of the others. But I still wouldn't accept it as the only truth. For
me, I am positive that chemicals are part of the problem. But old
memories and a negative set of beliefs about myself, which I got from a
not-very-nurturing childhood, have a huge effect on me, too.

I'm not about blaming my mother. I'm more likely to blame my father,
anyway. But really, at my age, it's not about blame at all. I might
recognize that because my parents did this, or didn't do that, that I
developed certain negative thinking or behavior patterns. But I'm the
only person who's able to change those things. My parents weren't great
parents, but they did love me and they did the best they could, and the
truth is, I got more from them than many people get from their parents.
I used to think my parents were the worst in the world, but as I got
older I realized there was a lot they did right. It's true that I'm still
struggling from the effects of abuse, but I sincerely believe at this
point that it's up to me - along with whatever help is useful to me, of
course - to find my way out of it.

The upshot is, it can be very hard to pinpoint the causes of depression,
and therefore, the appropriate way to heal it.

Purrs! (Those are *never* inappropriate. )

Joyce
--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.
Old December 27th 07, 11:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote in message
Ginger-lyn wrote:

The upshot is, it can be very hard to pinpoint the causes of depression,
and therefore, the appropriate way to heal it.

This goes for just about everything. The biggest lie ever, and one most
people buy into about one subject or other, is "One size fits all". People
are different. Their lives are different. There are many different causes
for problems, and many different solutions. Some work for some people, but
not for others.

I'll add my purrs that you find the solution that is right for you.

Joy

Old January 11th 08, 06:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn

wrote:
Ginger-lyn wrote:

[...]

{{{{Joyce}}}}

I think what you said is probably the most rational, accurate way to
look at it. Not much of anything is due to or solved by just one thing;
life is too complex for that. And I do believe (and tried to make that
plain) that medications, for many, do a world of good. I just wish more
people understood that there are often other things, be it a spiritual
component, emotional component, life component or whatever, that are
just as important, if not more so.

All I wish is healing (in whatever form that takes) for all who need it.

Ginger-lyn

--
Home Pages:
http://www.moonsummer.com

Ball Gamez Granby Cat community 1 October 15th 07 10:40 AM
Jellicle Ball: The Story of the First Jellicle Ball [email protected] Cat community 16 October 22nd 06 05:07 AM
Jellicle Ball: You Need a Ball Committee [email protected] Cat community 48 October 8th 06 05:25 AM
well, go dye a ball M. L. MacQuinlan, C.L.U. Cat anecdotes 0 September 11th 05 02:52 PM
curled up with Persephone Tish Silberbauer Cat anecdotes 26 October 4th 04 04:40 AM