D*mn I'm mad

Old January 2nd 08, 11:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Default D*mn I'm mad

Sorry, but I need to vent.

I have a cleaner coming in a couple of times a month, because I just
can't keep up with housework with my hand problems.

The cleaner came today. I always go out while he's here, to be out of
the way. When I came home, the flat was spotless - nothing to complain
about there - but a while later I spotted something in Caliban's food
bowl. Took a closer look. Kibble! It was *half full* of kibble!

I know some people free-feed their cats dry food, but even if I wanted
to give Caliban dry food, I couldn't free-feed him because he hoovers
everything he sees at once. I don't know why he hadn't touched this
food, unless maybe the bowl had been *full* and he had eaten half of it!
The other option, which I'm hoping is the right one, is that it was
'off' somehow, so he didn't eat any of it. Though where does he come off
giving my cat food that's off, if that's the case?

Grrrr. I'm so mad. I know the cleaner likes cats, but he shouldn't be
trying to buy Caliban's affection with food, especially not kibble
(Caliban hides when the cleaner comes, because he knows the sucky
monster will come out soon and eat the floor).

Vent over.

I did write a polite e-mail requesting they don't feed my cats without
permission in future. I pointed out that Caliban had just come off a
rigorous diet to lose some dangerous overweight and that, besides
overweight, dry food can cause kidney disease in cats. I hope I managed
to teach the cleaner something.

Old January 2nd 08, 12:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Marina wrote:
[...]

Knowing how Caliban likes his food I'm sure he managed to convince the
cleaner he was a poor starving cat that hadn't eaten for days.

I hope the cleaner has learned somthing without being offended.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old January 2nd 08, 02:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bridget[_2_]

Marina wrote:
[...]

Not to take on the cleaners side, but it sounds like he thought he was
just doing a good turn. He didn't know any better. Many people do not
treat their cats with the same attention we give ours and do not worry
about obesity and have not encountered health problems that need to be
dealt with with their own cats so they are not even really aware that
something serious could happen with a bowl of cat food.

I would suggest you take the action with the thoughtfulness intended and
do just what you did - educate them kindly. It sounds as if the action
was intended to do just what you wanted - help you out. He didn't know.
He wouldn't have known the food was off. If you have it in your flat, he
would have assumed it was good.

Try to look at this from a different angle. Someone who didn't know any
better was trying to do a good deed for you. We should be thankful for
people who try to help us. I have someone who comes in every two weeks
to help me out. She doesn't have to, she just does. What I pay her is a
pittance and it is just an hour every two weeks but she works like crazy
when she comes over. For the most part, she knows my habits and likes
and dislikes, but it is inevitable that she will move things where I
have to look for them or something and I get annoyed for a few minutes.
Then I am thankful because no one else would come in and do what she
does and because of her I am able to stay functional and get on with
getting my life back. It is worth the small annoyances of everything not
being exactly as I like them to have my life back.

I am not suggesting that you need to put up with a second class job,
only if there things here and there that they couldn't possibly have
known about, take it into account, educate and be thankful there are
people who exist who will do this job for you when you can't. People who
are willing to clean for others and take care of them are a special
breed of people who do not get paid enough and are unappreciated.

Bridget - thankful for all the help I can get
Old January 2nd 08, 02:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Marina wrote:
overweight, dry food can cause kidney disease in cats. I hope I managed
to teach the cleaner something.

I'm pretty sure the cleaner won't do it again. We have a cleaning
service that comes once every two weeks, but I would not dream of not
being in the house while they work. I have to make sure none of the
kitties pulls a Houdini escape.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old January 2nd 08, 02:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen AKA Kajikit

On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 12:19:03 +0200, Marina
wrote:

[...]

It's not like he was trying to poison Caliban Marina... the bowl was
empty, he thought the cat was hungry, so he fed it. End of story. I'm
sure he considered it a good deed.
Old January 2nd 08, 02:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Bridget wrote:

Not to take on the cleaners side, but it sounds like he thought he was
just doing a good turn. He didn't know any better. Many people do not
treat their cats with the same attention we give ours and do not worry
about obesity and have not encountered health problems that need to be
dealt with with their own cats so they are not even really aware that
something serious could happen with a bowl of cat food.

I did recognize that, though I blew my top here by myself when I
discovered it. I knew at the same time that he thought he was doing a
nice thing. But I don't know where the food came from. I have a small
bag of kibble here, that I give Caliban maybe 2-3 pieces of about once a
week, but the food in the bowl looked different. So they must have
brought it.

I got an apologetic reply, too, and a promise that it won't happen
again. I don't think I sounded too angry in my message.

Old January 2nd 08, 03:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
kraut

[...]

GET OVER IT ALREADY!!! Or are you one of these people that live to
complain?!?! I know a few of them and I try my hardest to avoid them
at all cost!!!

They could find a pile of money and still complain about it!!!

Old January 2nd 08, 04:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Caroline S.

On Jan 2, 8:55*am, Marina wrote:
Bridget wrote:

[...]

I'm with you on this one Marina. I'm sure, as others have said, that
it was well intentioned, but I can't imagine any scenario where, as a
stranger to a house to perform a service, it would be appropriate to
feed an animal I knew nothing about. I could see them leaving a note
or asking whether in the future they can/should feed the animal. In
hindsight, maybe a note saying "The cat is NOT starving, regardless of
what he tells you" might help

Happy New Year,
Caroline S.

Old January 2nd 08, 04:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

I did recognize that, though I blew my top here by myself when I
discovered it. I knew at the same time that he thought he was doing a
nice thing. But I don't know where the food came from. I have a small
bag of kibble here, that I give Caliban maybe 2-3 pieces of about once a
week, but the food in the bowl looked different. So they must have
brought it.

I got an apologetic reply, too, and a promise that it won't happen
again. I don't think I sounded too angry in my message.

I think it was perfectly reasonable to get upset, Marina. I also think
you dealt with it appropriately by sending an email rather than
chewing the guy out. Clearly he thought he was trying to help with a
kindness, but, like you, I am *VERY* funny about what my pets eat.
Even my grandma, who looks after Cara several times a week asks me if
it's OK for her to have a treat, or be fed scraps etc, as she knows I
have Cara on a diet.

Helen M