miscellaneous goofy cat stuff

Old December 1st 04, 04:01 AM
JB

Default miscellaneous goofy cat stuff

these are a few of the goofy things my cats do that I haven't really
seen (at least specifically) with other cats I've known, posted "just
because."

often when I'm interactively playing with Jimmer (using a handheld
"toy" like a shoelace or a paper grocery bag handle, as opposed to
throwing stuff for him to chase), he almost seems to get frustrated by
the toy's movements and lets out a sound much like a hiss. I don't
*think* it's a hiss, because I'd expect him to stop playing and act
nervous or upset. it's like he has his mouth open from trying to
catch the plaything and has to breathe out suddenly and hard, so it
just makes a lot of noise. I think he's almost always on his back
when he does this.

my lap seems to be a kitty bathtub. Jimmer and Buck seem to start
bathing themselves about half the time one hops up with me. if it's
Buck and my fingers are within her reach, they get "bathed" as well.

of course, cats and dogs tend to key in on certain sounds. Grizzly
seems to do that more than my other two, or at least I notice it more
with her (due to her choice of sounds to key on?). for about the
first year or more I had her, she would dash into the living room
whenever I shut off the TV, apparently fascinated by the sound of the
tube losing electricity. she also still likes the sound of relays
clicking as my stereo receiver powers off, as I don't do that very
often. kitty suppertime is usually at or shortly after my own
suppertime, and she knows it (no surprise there), so she comes running
and meowing when she hears the snapping of an electrode igniting a
burner on my gas range.

so I guess this is pretty much YAHAEST (yet another "has anyone else
seen this?") post... not because I'm baffled, of course, but just
because I wonder. so... has anyone? g

Jeff
--
j if e-mail to the posting address | Burns: I don't have to take this abuse!
f bounces, look left and below. | Pierce: Oh, yes, you do, Frank. You
Old December 1st 04, 04:22 AM
Seanette Blaylock

(JB) had some very interesting things to say
about miscellaneous goofy cat stuff:

my lap seems to be a kitty bathtub. Jimmer and Buck seem to start
bathing themselves about half the time one hops up with me. if it's
Buck and my fingers are within her reach, they get "bathed" as well.

Felix licks, too. He's been known to groom DH's head [he seems to find
my long hair distressing, but will happily wash my hands], and even
licked the bird's head [aside from the fact that she was securely in
my hands at the time, it was clearly an affectionate gesture. He also
head-bumps her].

of course, cats and dogs tend to key in on certain sounds. Grizzly
seems to do that more than my other two, or at least I notice it more
with her (due to her choice of sounds to key on?). for about the
first year or more I had her, she would dash into the living room
whenever I shut off the TV, apparently fascinated by the sound of the
tube losing electricity. she also still likes the sound of relays
clicking as my stereo receiver powers off, as I don't do that very
often. kitty suppertime is usually at or shortly after my own
suppertime, and she knows it (no surprise there), so she comes running
and meowing when she hears the snapping of an electrode igniting a
burner on my gas range.

I don't recall what [now-cancelled] show it was, but Felix used to
come running when he heard that show's theme music. He'd then jump up
on the bed [in that apartment, the TV was in the bedroom] and watch
the show very attentively with us.

Old December 1st 04, 09:02 PM

JB wrote:

of course, cats and dogs tend to key in on certain sounds.

It's true. I can sit at my computer, tapping away, sometimes chatting
on the phone or playing music, and Smudge will snooze away happily. But
she knows the sound of the computer shutting down, and will immediately
stand up and stretch, knowing that I'm about to leave the room.

She will even recognize the particular way I type the word "exit" when
I'm logging off my account, even before I shut the computer down, and
she'll raise her head curiously, as though to ask, "Are you about to
leave the room? Sounds like it."

Joyce
Old December 1st 04, 10:27 PM

JB wrote:

I have a mini-tower computer in my living room next
to my recliner, and Jimmer could always tell the difference between
when I put the keyboard down because I was done doing whatever and
when I put it down because I was about to get up, and he'd hop down
immediately in the latter case.

There must have been some subtle difference in your movements when you
were putting the keyboard down because you were about to get up, that
he could detect. Still, it amazes me that they could be so sensitively
tuned to such subtleties. Or maybe Jimmer and Smudge are just two very
smart kitties!

now he waits till I un-recline.

Doesn't want to waste any energy on a mistake, after all!

Joyce
Old December 1st 04, 10:35 PM
JB

In ,
Krista shouted to everyone in earshot,

Our kitten Hubert is also fascinated by the sound of the tv turning
off. When he hears that little fizzling noise he will jump up even
out of a sound sleep to run and peer at the dark screen and try to get
behind the tv (blocked for just this reason) to see what made the
noise.

ha, that's cute. what would be the problem with his going behind the
TV, just all the cords/cables and stuff?

Jeff
--
j if e-mail to the posting address | "You know, it's economical not to have
f bounces, look left and below. | a storyline, because then you can just
Old December 1st 04, 10:53 PM
JB

In ,
Seanette Blaylock shouted to everyone in earshot,

Felix licks, too. He's been known to groom DH's head

for some reson, that reminds me of the mentions that various others
here have made of cats grooming facial hair. mine don't exactly do
that, but Buck will sometimes streeeeeetch her front legs up toward my
face while she's in my lap and proceed to claw-comb the longish hair
on my chin. I think it's mostly incidental... when she's awake and
alone in my lap, she's usually in such a happy state that one or both
sets of front claws are extended (and corresponding toes spread
apart). it's all terribly cute. g

licked the bird's head [aside from the fact that she was securely in
my hands at the time, it was clearly an affectionate gesture. He also
head-bumps her].

awww!

I don't recall what [now-cancelled] show it was, but Felix used to
come running when he heard that show's theme music. He'd then jump up
on the bed [in that apartment, the TV was in the bedroom] and watch
the show very attentively with us.

oh, that's hilarious!

Jeff
--
j if e-mail to the posting address | "Joel, I can't help but feel that that
f bounces, look left and below. | film was flawed in certain ways."
Old December 1st 04, 10:55 PM
Kreisleriana

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 20:22:45 -0800, Seanette Blaylock
yodeled:

(JB) had some very interesting things to say
about miscellaneous goofy cat stuff:

my lap seems to be a kitty bathtub. Jimmer and Buck seem to start
bathing themselves about half the time one hops up with me. if it's
Buck and my fingers are within her reach, they get "bathed" as well.

Felix licks, too. He's been known to groom DH's head [he seems to find
my long hair distressing, but will happily wash my hands], and even
licked the bird's head [aside from the fact that she was securely in
my hands at the time, it was clearly an affectionate gesture. He also
head-bumps her].

Shades of the old Warner Brothers cartoon, in which the Birds
Anonymous cat sponsors Sylvester!

Theresa
Old December 1st 04, 11:31 PM
Takayuki

Seanette Blaylock wrote:

Felix licks, too. He's been known to groom DH's head [he seems to find
my long hair distressing, but will happily wash my hands], and even
licked the bird's head [aside from the fact that she was securely in
my hands at the time, it was clearly an affectionate gesture. He also
head-bumps her].

Wow, how cute! How unprecedented! I am anticipating kittens being
born from the next egg that Ava lays.

Old December 1st 04, 11:35 PM
Kreisleriana

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 18:31:59 -0500, Takayuki
yodeled:

Seanette Blaylock wrote:

Felix licks, too. He's been known to groom DH's head [he seems to find
my long hair distressing, but will happily wash my hands], and even
licked the bird's head [aside from the fact that she was securely in
my hands at the time, it was clearly an affectionate gesture. He also
head-bumps her].

Wow, how cute! How unprecedented! I am anticipating kittens being
born from the next egg that Ava lays.

Hehehehe, we'll see that in the National Enquirer.

Theresa