First Meeting

Old February 7th 05, 03:33 AM
Justin L

Default First Meeting

I set up some gates in the doorway of the bedroom today for the cats
to get a safe look at each other. Elwood was definitely interested in
the new cat. He had his whole leg through a hole in the gate trying to
paw the new cat. I don't think new cat liked that too much, because he
backed up well away from the gate and just stared young Elwood down.
He did a bit of meowing, and more staring, but not much else.
Elwood continued to try to get to the new cat. He squeaked and pawed,
but the new cat didn't want to get too close tonight.
Finally Elwood tried climbing up the gates, taking both down in the
process! I quickly shut the bedroom door and figured that was enough for
tonight.

Do you think the new cat is afraid of Elwood? It seemed that way to me.

Justin
(still thinking of a name for "new cat")

Old February 7th 05, 10:47 PM
KellyH

"Justin L" wrote in message
Hi, are you suggesting switching them around, or just letting him out
completely? I was going to try switching them around tonight.

Yes, so each cat doesn't think of the territory as "his" and the other cat
is an invader.
--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old February 9th 05, 03:37 PM
Phil P.

"Justin L" wrote in message

Phil P. wrote:

Gates are my preferred method of introduction at the shelter and at

home.

http://www.maxshouse.com/introducing_cats.htm

Thanks for the info.
A short while later, I figured out how to secure ther gates properly, so
I let them have another quick meeting.

I've found hook & eye latches to be about the easiest to use. The don't
interfere with normal operation of the door and you can leave the eyes in
the door molding in case you need to use the gates again. The small brass
eyes are hardly noticeable - even if they can be seen, they don't look bad.

Elwood was pawing him again, same
as earlier, but this time, the new cat came up and got a couple of good
hits in! It was hard for me to tell if they were "play" hits or "fight"
hits.

Was there any hissin' 'n spittin' or yowling? How old are your cats?

Tonight I will let the new cat out, and put Elwood in the room and see
how that goes. Should I switch them around daily?

Switch them a couple of times a day until you feel the cats are
com*fortable -- or at least getting comfortable with each other's scents.
It might take just a day or it might take several. Let the cats set the
pace.

Have you begun using the gates with their feeding? Put their bowls far from
gates at first. If they both eat without showing signs of fear or
agression, gradually move the bowls closer to the gates. Don't rush this
part - a little closer each day. If either cat shows stress or fear
approaching the bowls, back them up to where the cats ate comfortably. When
both cats eat with the bowls touching the gates on both sides - they're in
the homestretch.

Once the cats approach each other peacefully and frendly and feel
comfortable eating near each other -with the bowls touching the gates on
both sides, you can open the lower gate so "Jake" can come out on his own in
his own time and still feel secure knowing his sanctuary is right behind
him.

Some people use a leash and harness on the resident cat at this point, so
the new cat can run back in without the resident following him. I don't.
I think the resident cat perceives the harness as punishment and might
associate the punishment with the new cat.

If the cats are approaching each other peacefully through the gates, and
eating in close proximetry to each other, I don't think there's any need for
a harness. Just keep alert and blanket handy in case of agression. If
there is agression, don't try to break it up because either cat could attack
you in what's called "redirected agression". Throw the blanket over the
agressor - or better yet, both cats. I doubt it will come to this if the
cats are peaceful through the gates. I just wanted to mention it so you'll
be prepared in the unlikely event it happens.

Justin
(still thinking of a name for "new cat")

Joliet Jake, what else.

That was my first choice, but he is not a black and white tuxedo cat
like Elwood so I have been trying to think of something else. I may go
with that anyhow because as I get to know him, it kind of fits him.

I like to give cats names that suits them physically or based on their
personality. That's how I name my cats. But in a shelter, you run out of
names fast. I would sit with a new cat and call her by every name I could
think of that suited her. I even resorted to a star catalog for names.
When the cat reacted to a name - that was it!

Maybe cats don't come when we call them because they don't like the names we
give them! LOL!

Phil

Justin

Good luck,

Phil

Old February 9th 05, 09:31 PM
Justin L

Phil P. wrote:
"Justin L" wrote in message

Phil P. wrote:

snip

I've found hook & eye latches to be about the easiest to use. The don't
interfere with normal operation of the door and you can leave the eyes in
the door molding in case you need to use the gates again. The small brass
eyes are hardly noticeable - even if they can be seen, they don't look bad.

Those would be ideal, but I am using some plastic child gates. They work
well enough I suppose.

Elwood was pawing him again, same

as earlier, but this time, the new cat came up and got a couple of good
hits in! It was hard for me to tell if they were "play" hits or "fight"
hits.

Was there any hissin' 'n spittin' or yowling? How old are your cats?

No hissing or spitting, but Jake did a bit of yowling.
Elwood is 5 months old, Jake is about 1-1/2 yrs old, but his exact age
is unknown.

[...]

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I fed them by the gates last night,
and they didn't seem to mind all that much. I will try moving their
bowls closer tonight.

Justin
(still thinking of a name for "new cat")

Joliet Jake, what else.

That was my first choice, but he is not a black and white tuxedo cat
like Elwood so I have been trying to think of something else. I may go
with that anyhow because as I get to know him, it kind of fits him.

I like to give cats names that suits them physically or based on their
personality. That's how I name my cats. But in a shelter, you run out of
names fast. I would sit with a new cat and call her by every name I could
think of that suited her. I even resorted to a star catalog for names.
When the cat reacted to a name - that was it!

Maybe cats don't come when we call them because they don't like the names we
give them! LOL!

LOL, I bet you are right about that!

Thanks again for your help.

Justin

Phil

snipped

Old February 10th 05, 05:47 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-02-09, Phil P. penned:

Maybe cats don't come when we call them because they don't like the names we
give them! LOL!

Oscar comes when called. I guess I picked the right name, even if people give
me weird looks when I say "Oscar" and "she" in the same breath.

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch