OT Camera question

Old December 29th 06, 07:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Default OT Camera question

As I've mentioned, my camera has been dropped on the floor several times
(not naming names here), and the hutch where the batteries go has come
loose, so I have to tape the whole thing together each time I've charged
the batteries.

Well, it seems I complained about this a lot, because a certain
newsgroup Fairy Godmother sent me a present 'to buy more tape' as she
put it. Well, it would buy a lot of tape, but I decided to buy a whole
new camera instead.

I'm fairly determined now to get a Canon IXUS, but wondering which one?
There are so many versions of the IXUS. All I usually photograph is the
cats, with a few landscapes thrown in. I seldom print out photos, but
want the quality to be good enough for print-outs sometimes.

I'm also open to suggestions of other cameras, as long as they are small
and easy to handle.

Old December 29th 06, 11:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
kilikini

Marina wrote:
[...]

Ha, I'm not naming names either, but a furry female in this household did
some damage to my camera, too. :~) I wish I had advice for you on which
one to buy, but I do want to wish you luck and congratulations!

kili

Old December 29th 06, 12:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

Marina wrote in news:4vjvurF1c6407U1
@mid.individual.net:

[...]

I bought my niece an elph series (SD800). It is VERY small and full of
nice features. They come at all price levels and features and resolutions.
The only thing is the smallness may make them less easy to handle for some
people. I was impressed at the screen size considering the smallness.

Andy
Old December 29th 06, 12:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kathryn

"Marina" wrote in message
[...]

I have the Canon Ixus Izoom. I am very un knowledgable about cameras and
photography so for me it is a point and shoot! I'm happy with it, I got it
on sale at a very good price and it suits my needs. It doesn't have all the
bells and whistles though. And its small and cute and fits easily in my
(small!) handbags!

Kathryn

Old December 29th 06, 12:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine K.

Marina kirjoitti:
[...]

You're not spilling the beans on how much "tape" that fairy godmother
sent you, but I'm sure my dad would recommend a Canon to you too. He's
got one of the latest ones, the G7. I've been content with my HP
Photosmart R818.

What you may want to keep in mind when getting your camera, is the
amount of optical zoom - the real lens-moving-in-and-out zoom - as the
digital zoom value just crops the picture. Something else, among the new
cameras is (according to my rough and direct translation) optical
picture stabiliser (= optinen kuvanvakain in Finnish), which counteracts
trembling hands at slow exposures and full zoom. And, last but not
least, the amount of megapixels.

So just find the one that nicely fits into your hand, has the most
megapixels, optical zoom and other features for the best price and
you've got yourself a winner. Not sure if there are any that are safe
around cats and clumsy hoomins, but a carrying bag/pouch might help keep
it a bit safer.

--
Christine in Laitila, Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old December 29th 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bill Stock

"Christine K." wrote in message
Marina kirjoitti:

[...]

Christine is right, optical zoom is one of the big sellers for me. I think
the Canon's have better lenses in general, unless you're going to spring for
a Nikon. :-) I'm not so sure about the stabilization gimmick though, I don't
really want my gadgets doing things I don't control. The other thing to
consider is processor speed, i.e. how many pictures can you snap in a few
seconds. Very good for capturing a moving cat. My HP (R717) is a little slow
at capturing multiple frames, I think a lot of the Canons are better.

Old December 29th 06, 06:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

Marina kirjoitti:

[...]

I have a Nikon 8800, and image stabilization really is a bonus. It isn't
"doing" anything except that it compensates for shakiness when we take
hand-held photos (which is most of the time). However, that feature can
also be turned off if you don't like it.

Sorry, I can't comment on the Canons, but you might want to see if they have
similar image stabilization features (on/off).

MaryL

Old December 29th 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote in
:

I have a Nikon 8800, and image stabilization really is a bonus. It
isn't "doing" anything except that it compensates for shakiness when
we take hand-held photos (which is most of the time). However, that
feature can also be turned off if you don't like it.

Sorry, I can't comment on the Canons, but you might want to see if
they have similar image stabilization features (on/off).

MaryL

I have the same Nikon camera and I agree. It also seems to work well on
the little elph I got my niece. She was playing around with it since her
other cameras do not have it and it made a noticeable improvement. It also
can be switched off. And Mary, the elph is about the size of the Nikon
charger!

Andy
Old December 29th 06, 08:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Outsider" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Yes, I agree. If you want *really small,* you can't beat the Elph.
However, it doesn't compare for telephoto, if that is important, and I don't
know how megapixels compare.

MaryL

Old December 29th 06, 08:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Susan M

Marina:

www.dpreview.com has good reviews most cameras.

Here is the page specifically on Canons. I see that there are different
naming conventions between Europe and North America on the Canon models.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/

Consumer reports listed the Canon PowerShot S2 IS as the top scoring camera
in their pre-Christmas survey. It has a 2 second lag time between photos,
which can be frustrating when filming cats, but still not terrible for
digital cameras. The next three cameras, in order, were Sony Cybershot
DSC-H2, FujiFilm (CR best buy pick) S5200, and the OIympus Stylus 800.
These cameras, with the exception of the Olympus, have a 1 second delay.
The Olympus is a 2 second delay.

One thing that is important to me as far as shooting cats is concerned is
the ability of the camera to operate reasonably well at low light. It's
good to look for that in the specs. I wouldn't go below 5 megapixels and
would go higher if you were planning on doing any larger prints or blowing
up and cropping some of your shots to any great extent.

I have sent you an e-mail to your yahoo account with some other info.

Susan M
Otis and Chester