IAMS statement

Old January 26th 04, 02:37 PM
Mr Nangla

Default IAMS statement

Dear Xx Xxxxxx

Thank you for your email and for sharing your comments regarding our
Research Policy.

At the end of March 2003 an animal rights group in the U.S. made serious
allegations about The Iams Company's
work with an independent contract research facility.

Here are the facts.

On March 27, following an unannounced visit to the facility in question, we
concluded that, even though the facility
passed U.S. government inspections, it did not meet our strict standards
regarding air temperature, ventilation,
resting beds and socialization. We made the decision to end all research at
the facility, and we moved all 19
dogs involved to an Iams facility where they are being cared for and placed
in a pet adoption program for Iams
employees. On April 10, officials from Iams and P&G met with
representatives from PETA to review the facts
and share our plan for the inspection of Iams contract research facilities.

We have now conducted comprehensive inspections of all external facilities
involved in dog and cat nutritional
studies for Iams. This was a major effort which included Iams researchers,
P&G veterinarians, non-technical
Iams employees who served as the "eyes and ears" of our consumers, and
where possible, independent
animal welfare experts.

Following the inspections, we know that all the facilities comply with
government regulations and the health
of the dogs and cats is not at risk. However, we have decided to
consolidate our nutritional studies at fewer
contract facilities, and we will focus on the implementation of Iams high
standards for dog and cat
care at these facilities. In addition we have established an Animal Care
Advisory Board.

This board currently consists of seven members, representing various
disciplines and fields of study,
including veterinary medicine, animal husbandry, behaviour, welfare, and
ethics. They a

Mr. Michael Arms of the Helen Woodward Animal Center (a leading
California-based shelter and adoption facility).
Dr. Kathryn Bayne of the Association for Assessment and Accreditation of
Laboratory Animal Care (AAALAC).
Rev. Kenneth Boyd, a professor of Medical Ethics at Edinburgh University
Medical School, and a research
director of the Institute of Medical Ethics, Edinburgh, Scotland.
Dr. Stephen Hansen of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to
Animals (ASPCA).
Dr. Robert Hubrecht of The Universities Federation for Animal Welfare
(UFAW).
Dr. Irene Rochlitz, an independent veterinary consultant in feline welfare,
Cambridge, England.
Dr. Andrew Rowan of the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS).

The Advisory Board's first task is to conduct a comprehensive review of The
Iams Company research policy and
steps taken to implement that policy since it was last updated in June 2002.
The Board will also establish a series
of next steps and recommendations. In addition to work with our Board
members, we are actively seeking
the perspective of other animal welfare consultants.

The formation of this board was a top priority for us and a major step in
our continued efforts to enhance the
health and well-being of dogs and cats around the world. Whilst we believe
we already have an industry-leading
policy on nutritional studies - which requires that our research be
equivalent to nutritional and medical studies
acceptable on people - we believe even more can be done.

The Iams Company conducts and sponsors research to advance scientific
understanding of dog and cat nutrition. As
stated in the Iams research policy, we only conduct research with dogs and
cats that is equivalent to nutritional or
medical studies acceptable on people. We are deeply committed to dog and
cat well
being, and our research policy reflects that commitment. If you would like
to read about our research policy in
more detail, it is posted on our website:

http://www.iams.com/en_US/jhtmls/faq...67&brandcode=I
&localeid=en_US&pagetypeid=FQ.

Thank you again for contacting us with your feedback, and for giving us the
opportunity to respond.

Kind Regards
Iams Consumer Care

We may wish to contact you by mail, e-mail or telephone. Please confirm
your acceptance and indicate your landbased address. At any time you can
contact us to

change your privacy requirements by writing to us using this e-mail address.
Further information about the P&G data privacy policy that Iams adheres to
can be
found
by visiting www.pg.com/privacy.htm on the internet

Old January 26th 04, 04:04 PM
Cat Protector

Did you notice that IAMS stated (if this accurate on the OP's part) that
they'll end research at the facility but said nothing about ending the
program entirely. It seems statements like this are just a smokescreen. If
cruel tests are taking place and the accusations surface it seems many of
the companies state how they are ending research or it never took place.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

Old January 26th 04, 05:17 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...

Following the inspections, we know that all the facilities comply with
government regulations and the health
of the dogs and cats is not at risk.

Please note that government regulations for experimental animals suck
balls. Hard.

I had a friend who worked with the government to make sure the regs were
followed. The regs merely state that one can't *keep* the animals in
horrid conditions - they do not care if the animal is tortured as part
of the experiment.
If the experiment states that no pain killers can be given, that's okey-
dokey with the government. If the experiment involves vivisection,
that's okey-dokey, too. The key is that the researchers have to prove
that giving anesthetics would impede the research.
In fact, they can hurt the animal for research, make it better, then
kill it. This is common practice. As long as they "humanely" kill it,
it's okey-dokey.

http://grants.nih.gov/grants/olaw/references/phspol.htm

Quote:
(a) The Secretary, acting through the Director of NIH, shall establish
guidelines for the following:
"(1) The proper care of animals to be used in biomedical and behavioral
research.
"(2) The proper treatment of animals while being used in such research.
Guidelines under this paragraph shall require-
"(A) the appropriate use of tranquilizers, analgesics, anesthetics,
paralytics, and euthanasia for animals in such research; and
"(B) appropriate pre-surgical and post-surgical veterinary medical and
nursing care for animals in such research.

Such guidelines shall not be construed to prescribe methods of research.
Note that last line. It's the loophole.

~kaeli~
A hangover is the wrath of grapes.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart