Simon's Excellent Adventure

Old October 4th 05, 05:33 PM
Norm

Default Simon's Excellent Adventure

Simon is the older Siamese I adopted a week ago Friday, and his first
few days were a litle ragged tho he appeared to want to trust me.
Contacts with the other cats were tentative at best; disappointing
since he was supposed to used to others. And he would run some when I
approached and cringe when I reached to pet him. That's the bad news.

Last Tuesday I inadvertantly left the front door open and discovered him
out on the deck. He came when I called him and I rewarded him with some
food. That's good, because I wanted him to be able to go in and out by
the time I left for the weekend. He did enjoy being outside but didn't
learn the catdoor by Friday. He was still shy with me but purring a lot
and seemed to be on the bonding path. The other cats did some warning
hisses but no troubles.

So. My neighbor was going to look in Saturday and gladly no calls from
him; we got back late Sunday - no Simon. No signs, no cries - just
what I feared. At 11 we were just sitting around tho I was really short
on sleep and would rather have been in bed - when from the deck there
rose such a clatter I sprang to my feet to find was the matter.

Simon of course. He tried to jump through the barely-open living room
window and he started talking as soon as I opened the door and he ran
in. He had found how to go out the catdoor but not in! He was really
happy to be inside and that I hadn't run off and deserted him! Since
then he's been doting on me, no cringeing and he even accepted the
sheets pulled over him and lots of noises being made in his ears. Many
headbutts to my face and even a nose nip. He went out yesterday with no
fear and when he walked round to the front I greeted him with some
wadded up catnip leaves. Which he loved, with Willie on the other end
of the step doing the same. So his adventure resulted in, apparently,
acceptance of his home and hoomin. I even was able to feed him near
the others breakfasting. Today, if the opportunity presents, I'll let
him see them playing with the wand and see if Play is understood. Norm

--
"In 2005, the refining margin...has exceeded $20 per barrel, far above
the long-term average of $6. That has meant record profits for oil
Old October 4th 05, 05:53 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-10-04, Norm penned:

[...]

Oh, that must have been scary for both of you! But it sounds like it
will work to your advantage in the long run.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old October 4th 05, 06:06 PM
mlbriggs

On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 12:33:57 -0400, Norm wrote:

[...]

It sounds like a good start. IMHO Siamese are the best! Good luck.
MLB

Old October 4th 05, 06:48 PM
Susan M

"Norm" wrote in message
[...]

Yikes - I'm so glad that story had a happy ending Norm. I can't wait to see
pictures of Simon! What is Simon's background and how old is "older"? Lots
of questions - I have a soft spot for Siamese since he fostered Cairo so
many years ago now.

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Old October 4th 05, 08:51 PM
Norm

Susan M wrote:

Yikes - I'm so glad that story had a happy ending Norm. I can't wait to see
pictures of Simon! What is Simon's background and how old is "older"? Lots
of questions - I have a soft spot for Siamese since he fostered Cairo so
many years ago now.

I'm off in the woods so Simon didn't have any real threats but I'm glad
he'd been out for a few days before and knew what "home" was. (Maybe
he'd only just gone out anyway). Vet says he's 9 but he's pretty
bony. His owner had died and the vet had held him for 3weeks before I
got the call. I have a very soft spot for Siamese too, many years now.
I'm so glad he's started to bond! More pictures to come. Norm
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...68468369asgcej

Old October 4th 05, 08:59 PM
Exocat

"Norm" wrote

So his adventure resulted in, apparently,
acceptance of his home and hoomin. I even was able to feed him near
the others breakfasting. Today, if the opportunity presents, I'll let
him see them playing with the wand and see if Play is understood.
Norm

Yep, it's remarkable how often a bit of deprivation teaches one how
better
to appreciate one's lot.

Purrs for playing to work: Meezers stay playful all their lives IIRC.

Gordon & the FF

Old October 4th 05, 09:01 PM
lewe

"Norm" wrote in message

So his adventure resulted in, apparently,
acceptance of his home and hoomin. I even was able to feed him near
the others breakfasting. Today, if the opportunity presents, I'll let
him see them playing with the wand and see if Play is understood. Norm

sounds like things are going great, happy to hear things are settling down
purrs

--
lewe
lewemi at yahoo dot se | cats' pics: photos.yahoo.com/lewemi

Old October 4th 05, 09:11 PM
Susan M

"Norm" wrote in message
Susan M wrote:
I'm off in the woods so Simon didn't have any real threats but I'm glad
he'd been out for a few days before and knew what "home" was. (Maybe
he'd only just gone out anyway). Vet says he's 9 but he's pretty
bony. His owner had died and the vet had held him for 3weeks before I
got the call. I have a very soft spot for Siamese too, many years now.
I'm so glad he's started to bond! More pictures to come. Norm
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...68468369asgcej

He's a beautiful boy - I wanted to scritch him! He's so lucky to have found
such a beautiful home and caring family after the loss of his owner. Thank
you for taking him in.

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Old October 4th 05, 10:33 PM
polonca12000

Congrats!
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

Old October 5th 05, 12:51 AM
Bill Stock

"Norm" wrote in message
[...]

Good work Simon, you'll have the new owner properly trained in no time.