self-injury update

Old January 30th 07, 06:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

Default self-injury update

Rudy's chin is not infected, it just looks worse than it is because of the
acne. The vet said to keep using the betadine and it should heal fine.

Phil, thanks for the reminder to dilute it and for the suggestion to use a
Qtip. He's getting used to the routine and not trying as hard to wash it
off now. (Especially since I give him catnip when I'm done!

--
Lynne
Old January 30th 07, 08:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

On Jan 30, 12:59 pm, Lynne wrote:
Rudy's chin is not infected, it just looks worse than it is because of the
acne. The vet said to keep using the betadine and it should heal fine.

Phil, thanks for the reminder to dilute it and for the suggestion to use a
Qtip. He's getting used to the routine and not trying as hard to wash it
off now. (Especially since I give him catnip when I'm done!

--
Lynne

Hi Lynne,

I must have missed your other post about this topic. One of my cats
gets kitty acne about twice per year, despite me cleaning his bowls
every day/not using plastic/etc. He will suddenly develop large
pustules that make his chin look swollen. I've found the betadine to
be a bit too drying, even when diluted (though the Q-tip idea is
great). I use a soap free gentle baby wash to clean his chin and then
apply a prescription gel I got from the vet (Pyoben, benzyol
peroxide). It works very well, and you only need to apply a small
amount.

Rene

Old January 31st 07, 12:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
catz carer

On 30 Jan, 18:59, Lynne wrote:
Rudy's chin is not infected, it just looks worse than it is because of the
acne. The vet said to keep using the betadine and it should heal fine.

Phil, thanks for the reminder to dilute it and for the suggestion to use a
Qtip. He's getting used to the routine and not trying as hard to wash it
off now. (Especially since I give him catnip when I'm done!

--
Lynne

Lynne,

I am very pleased to hear that Rudy has not developed an infection so
far.This is very encouraging news.Well done, It would appear that you
are doing the right thing.

Just out of personal intertest, is it better to give your cat fresh
cat nip, or dried Cat Nip?

The reason I ask you is becuase we have offered both varieties to our
cats, yet none of them seem even remotely interested in it.
Is this unusual?

Catz-C

Old January 31st 07, 01:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Wed, 31 Jan 2007 00:04:06 GMT, "catz carer"
wrote:

Just out of personal intertest, is it better to give your cat fresh
cat nip, or dried Cat Nip?

I have used both. When I used to have indoor/outdoor cats, I had a
container plant of catnip that the neighborhood cats all loved, almost to
death. I had to put chicken wire around it so they wouldn't be able to
eat it down to the roots. Now my cats are indoor only and I give them
freeze dried organic catnip. I may try my hand at growing some again,
but I am not sure I want to have to have chicken wire inside. My kitten
has destroyed all my other houseplants, hehe.

The reason I ask you is becuase we have offered both varieties to our
cats, yet none of them seem even remotely interested in it.
Is this unusual?

I've heard that some cats like it, and some do not. So no, I don't think
it's unusual. I'd be curious to know if liking catnip or not is a breed
specific trait. My cats have all been of unknown origin. Most have been
domestic shorthairs, one of those was a Manx, and I believe my kitten,
Levi, may be a Russian Blue (that's what the vets think, but he was from
a feral litter so who knows). They have ALL adored catnip.

--
Lynne
Old January 31st 07, 05:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

Lynne,

That's great that Rudy's chin is okay. What a strange accident! It
always amazes me what trouble they can get in to.

Rhonda

Old January 31st 07, 10:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
IBen Getiner

On Jan 30, 1:59�pm, Lynne wrote:
Rudy's chin is not infected, it just looks worse than it is because of the
acne. *The vet said to keep using the betadine and it should heal fine.

What did you give her cause your her to break out in such a fashion?

IBen

Old January 31st 07, 10:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
IBen Getiner

On Jan 30, 1:59�pm, Lynne wrote:
Rudy's chin is not infected, it just looks worse than it is because of the
acne. *The vet said to keep using the betadine and it should heal fine.

What did you give her to make her break out in such a fashion?

IBen

Old January 31st 07, 11:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Lynne" wrote in message
. 97.142...
Rudy's chin is not infected, it just looks worse than it is because of the
acne. The vet said to keep using the betadine and it should heal fine.

Phil, thanks for the reminder to dilute it and for the suggestion to use a
Qtip. He's getting used to the routine and not trying as hard to wash it
off now. (Especially since I give him catnip when I'm done!

The chin is loaded with sebaceous glands that can become blocked. If you
keep his chin clean, the acne should clear up. The betadine will kill most
of the bacteria that grows in blocked glands.

Phil

Old January 31st 07, 03:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 31 Jan, 11:24, "Phil P." wrote:
"Lynne" wrote in message

. 97.142...

Rudy's chin is not infected, it just looks worse than it is because of the
acne. The vet said to keep using the betadine and it should heal fine.

Phil, thanks for the reminder to dilute it and for the suggestion to use a
Qtip. He's getting used to the routine and not trying as hard to wash it
off now. (Especially since I give him catnip when I'm done!

The chin is loaded with sebaceous glands that can become blocked. If you
keep his chin clean, the acne should clear up. The betadine will kill most
of the bacteria that grows in blocked glands.

Phil

If a cat has acne, is it something that they outgrow as they get
older, or is it something that the cat will suffer from for the rest
of it's life?

I have heard of acne in cats before now.
When I first heard about it, I thought the person who told me about it
was pulling my leg, but after looking it up, & I see that it looks
rather like black bits under their chins, but it didn't state whether
it is something that they outgrow, or whether it remains with them
for the rest of their lives or not?
I do hope that it clears up for him soon though.
Best wishes
S;o)

Old February 1st 07, 01:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Wed, 31 Jan 2007 10:54:41 GMT, "IBen Getiner" wrote:

What did you give her to make her break out in such a fashion?

As I understand it, feline acne can be caused by an allergy to plastic
feeding dishes, and other things. I'm still not sure what is causing
Rudy's acne, but the real problem was that he hooked his claw through his
chin trying to scratch it. He tore himself up pretty badly, so I'm
treating that wound as well as the acne.

--
Lynne