Took in Adandon Kitty, What Have I DONE???

Old January 8th 04, 11:46 PM
Charles

Default Took in Adandon Kitty, What Have I DONE???

I took in an abandoned kitty approx 4 months ago. She is now 6-7 months
old. I was what I thought to be a wonderful owner, purchasing several
scratching posts, giving kitty the run of the house. Did NOT have her
declawed, got her rabies and distemper vaccine, had her spayed. Now 6 weeks
after her rabies vaccine, there is a lump at her vaccination site. Further
research suggests that this could very likely be cancerous sarcoma caused by
the vaccine. The vet NEVER mentioned this side effect. We had a needle
aspirator (sp) biopsy which was negative, but even the vet said we still
should be concerned. We are going to watch the lump for changes and may
have a tough choice coming up. I am very upset about this and can't help
but wonder if I wouldn't have been better off leaving kitty a feral. I
can't believe that my own actions of having her vaccinated may cause her
such pain. We have grown so attached to kitty. The vet tried to reassure
us that it is unlikely that this is cancerous, but I am AMAZED at how many
other cat owners have gone through this same thing. Any one out there have
experience with post vaccination lumps. I am just praying that one morning
I will wake up and the lump will be gone.

Old January 9th 04, 12:00 AM
Magic Mood Jeep©

I too had a similar problem. After Weeble's (see my webshots photo albums,
he was abandoned by his Mama at less than a week old) second set of
vaccinations, he developed a lump at the shot site, but it took about a week
to develop! Vet was concerned, but puzzled as he'd not had such
developments before, but in the past month, after switching vaccine brands,
was having a rash of them. The first few he biopsied, and they turned out
negative, just an inflammatory reaction to the vaccine. So we kept a close
eye on him: he got 'felt up' by the vet once a week for 4 weeks, and it
seemed to get smaller, so vet said to only call/bring him in if the lump did
anything besides shrink, and to bring him in for his neuter on the scheduled
time - and by the time his neuter came, lump was almost gone, and two weeks
after that, the lump was completely gone - now I can't even tell exactly
where it was!.

--
The ONE and ONLY
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©

Old January 9th 04, 12:11 AM
Charles

You must have been SO relieved. I am hoping for the same outcome. I am
really concerned that the vaccination was done on Nov 14 and it should have
gone down by now. That was almost 8 weeks ago. All I can do now is pray
and hope it goes away.
"Magic Mood Jeep©" wrote in message
newsilLb.954$5V2.563@attbi_s53...
[...]

former-blonde

Old January 9th 04, 12:27 AM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Charles" wrote in message
snip
I am just praying that one morning
I will wake up and the lump will be gone.

FWIW, I also found a lump on my cat a few weeks after she had been
vaccinated. I took her back to the vet and he said it wasn't an unusual
occurrence, but that I should watch it just in case. It took a few more
weeks, but the lump did disappear and has not reappeared since (I still
check for lumps every so often, just in case). And as a human, I get
vaccine-related lumps, too :-)! (I bruise and scar easily.)

From what I read, 1 in 5000 cats are affected--seems like a lot but as a
percentage, it's .0002%. And, from
http://littlezoo.com/data/vet/Common...he%20Cat .htm
"VAS may develop from 3 months to 3 years after vaccination" so 6 weeks is a
bit early for the sarcoma to have developed (if you believe the site
quoted). I think you were wise to bring her in to the vet, and you should
keep your eye on the lump, but you don't need to worry for now. She has a
very good chance of *not* getting a vaccine-related sarcoma.

Good luck, and let us know how she's doing!

rona

Old January 9th 04, 01:01 AM
Gail

YOu did the best thing for her. I think the lump will be OK. The fact that
the needle aspiration came back negative is a good thing.
Gail

Old January 9th 04, 01:19 AM
~*Connie*~

I had a foster kitten that reacted to the vaccine too. After a few weeks it
went away.. cancer can develop with vaccines, but its usually not that fast.

Old January 9th 04, 01:28 AM
Hans Schrøder

"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" wrote in message

From what I read, 1 in 5000 cats are affected--seems like a lot but as a
percentage, it's .0002%.

More like .02%, I guess... If we start with the fact that 1 in 50 is 2%,
then 1 in 500 is 0.2% and...?

Hans

Old January 9th 04, 01:56 AM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Hans Schrøder" wrote in message

More like .02%, I guess... If we start with the fact that 1 in 50 is 2%,
then 1 in 500 is 0.2% and...?

Hans

Oops! I meant to adjust the decimal point but forgot! But staying on
topic, .02% is still a relatively low risk...

Thanks for the correction!

rona

Old January 9th 04, 03:16 AM
Dennis Carr

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 16:46:13 -0600, Charles wrote:

I took in an abandoned kitty approx 4 months ago. She is now 6-7 months
old. I was what I thought to be a wonderful owner, purchasing several
scratching posts, giving kitty the run of the house. Did NOT have her
declawed, got her rabies and distemper vaccine, had her spayed. Now 6
weeks after her rabies vaccine, there is a lump at her vaccination site.

And you took her to the vet. Good call, and with this, you did the Right
thing.

Further
research suggests that this could very likely be cancerous sarcoma
caused by the vaccine. The vet NEVER mentioned this side effect.

Here's a question - where is the research that says this is a
*significant* risk? Odds are that your vet not only felt that this was of
no risk, but that because a rabies shot may be so routine

First and foremost, I'll go on record as saying I hope this gets better.
Second, keep in mind that I'm not anywhere near a doctor of any sort.

Now then, something I learned is that most sub-independent research (IE,
"this is what happened to me") is something to be taken with a grain -
nay, about a truckload - of salt. It is always the people who have
something bad happen to them who yell the loudest, and when something goes
right, the only time you'll hear of it is if it's authoritative research
beyond what the news gives you. (Besides, the news gives you
pseudoscientific results of initial findings - such as that having a beer
would melt your liver, and next year beer would strengthen your heart, or
something equally ridiculous.)

With that said, keep in mind that, as it is in humans, there is a risk
when you do something - ANYTHING - invasive to a feline, from full blown
open heart surgery to something as simple as a vaccination injection,
however minute the risk is. There are steps to prevent really nasty
things from happening, but every now and again something does happen, and
there are almost always ways to treat this.

In any case, heed your vet's word before you heed what's online - they are
the one who has the training to know where there are problems.

We had a needle
aspirator (sp) biopsy which was negative, but even the vet said we still
should be concerned. We are going to watch the lump for changes and may
have a tough choice coming up.

If the biopsy came back negative, like others have said, there's probably
no worry.

I am very upset about this and can't help but wonder if I wouldn't have
been better off leaving kitty a feral.

Well, kitty has grown fond of you, yesno? =^^=

The storm will ride out. Prayers and purrs for you and kitty, I'm sure
this isn't painless.

--
Dennis Carr - | I may be out of my mind,
http://www.dennis.furtopia.org | But I have more fun that way.