Is it wrong to want another purebred?

Old March 27th 05, 10:18 PM
Mary

"KellyH" wrote in message

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

Joe Canuck wrote:

Perhaps we should apply this same line of thought with human

beings...

There are thousands if not millions of kids around the world without
parents. Perhaps one should adopt a kid first rather than see other

kids
go through the early years without the support and benefit of

parents.

I agree whole-heartedly. Especially since non-renewable resources and
our ability to deal with output are dwindling.

Once *all* the parentless kids have been adopted, only then should
couples consider having their own kids.

I don't have any problem what-so-ever with that sentiment.

-L.

Thanks. Guess I'm just a mindless breeder.
You know I considered adoption vs. IVF very carefully. Adoption is not as
easy as people seem to think it is, like you just fill out a form and
someone hands you a child. It also costs thousands of dollars and the
process can be emotionally taxing. I admit, I freaked going over the
application. They want to know *everything* about you, and I do have some
things from my past that are not exactly flattering and I would rather

that
no one knew about.
Whatever, I don't have to defend my choice.

Kelly. The two situations are not even comparable. It is a false
analogy. We all have a deep-seated drive to reproduce, and
in some cases a need to parent. In addition humans, while we
are animals, are the only animals who ____ and _____ and
do any number of things including conceive of a time beyond
our own deaths. Whether or not we breed is personal and
very complicated--and not the same thing as whether we
choose to support the breeding of domesticated animals
who are currently overbreeding. From a Randian point
of view (not my own, or not all the way, anyway) when
the other animals outstrip our own abilities and grow
bigger cerebral cortexes and opposable thumbs then
THEY will have the dilemma about whether or not
they allow US to breed. Until then it is every human for
his or her self.

Old March 27th 05, 10:20 PM
Mary

wrote in message
oups.com...

Ashley wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Not exactly. He will be *buying* a purebred kitten who doesn't

exactly
"need a a home"--Bengal breeders probably have waiting lists, and

the
kitten will get a home irregardless.

Kitten still needs a home. If Brian takes it, someone else who might

have
taken it might take a shelter cat. But then again, we could go "if"

forever.

Brian should do what Brian wants to do. I have no problem at all with

people
deciding they would like a certain breed of cat, and getting it.

That's
their right.

Bull****. The kitten does NOT "need a home." You're advocating buying
a specific breed because you *want* it. Don't use such a lame
justification. Just simply say you don't give a **** about how many
homeless cats there are already, as long as you get the look you want.
THAT is your "right".

Ashley is of the 500-lb gorilla school of ethics. "Should I do it"
becomes "Can I do it and do I want to?"

Old March 27th 05, 10:22 PM
Mary

"Ashley" wrote in message

"Phil P." wrote in message

He's harming the cat he could have adopted.

But by adopting that cat, he'd be harming all the other cats he could

have,
but didn't adopt ... I mean we could go down this silly "what if" road for
ever. It still wouldn't take us anywhere sensible.

Get a conscience and some
compassion.

I have both in plentiful supply, thank you. I also have a sense of
proportion and reality. There are more than a few people on this group who
would be wise to do the same.

Breeders suck and people who support breeders suck.
It's in the Bible, the Koran, the Talmud and tatooed
on my own sweet ass.

Old March 27th 05, 10:24 PM
Mary

"Ashley" wrote in message

"Phil P." wrote in message

"Ashley" wrote in message

When I next get a cat it will be an oriental shorthair,
and I have not even the slightest feeling there is anything wrong in my
wanting that and acting upon that want.

That's because self-gratification is more important to you than the
welfare
of the feline *species*.

Of course. That must be it.

It is. Phil is spot on and has you and your kind pegged.

Old March 27th 05, 10:25 PM
Mary

"KellyH" wrote in message
"-L." wrote
Um, don't put words in my mouth.

I said:

"I don't have any problem what-so-ever with that sentiment."

Sorry, didn't mean to. That was my take on what you said. I'm going to
email you, this is way OT for the cat ng.

To late. I am reporting you and Hanoi Lynnie to your
respective ISPs because you offend me and I believe your ISPs owe me
proctection from being offended. Nya nya nya.

Old March 27th 05, 10:26 PM
Phil P.

"Ashley" wrote in message

"Phil P." wrote in message

He's harming the cat he could have adopted.

But by adopting that cat, he'd be harming all the other cats he could

have,

Absurd. He'd be *saving* the life of a cat - which would free up space and
resources for another cat that might be otherwise killed. Ergo, he'd
actually be saving two lives for the 'price' of one whereas buying a cat
from a breeder would indirectly cause the death of those two cats.

Old March 27th 05, 10:27 PM
Mary

"Mary" wrote in message

"Brian Link" wrote in message
Going through old photos today, and came across a directory filled
with pics from when we were thinking about buying a Bengal (which we
did, and he's wonderful). Most are from this site:
http://www.tibcs.com/petcorner/photos.php

After having been through an ordeal with a stray, and knowing the
incredible number of discarded cats available for adoption, is it
morally wrong to think of adopting another purebred?

BLink

Please don't even consider this. First, don't buy from a breeder

because
there are untold numbers of cats already available from shelters and

rescue
groups -- and an unbelievably large number are destined to be

euthanized.
If you do decide on a purebred, please look at a shelter (where there

often
are both purebreds and "look-alikes" available) or contact one of the

rescue
groups that rehome abandoned and abused purebreds. Second, I hope you

won't
adopt *any* cat at this time. You have just gone through a difficult
time
with Henry, and it would be simply asking for trouble to bring another
cat
into your home at this early date.

MaryL

Oh, nonsense, MaryL! You must have some sort of personal problem
to even suggest this. You have a problem with Megan, right? You
must have. It simply cannot be that Brian is a ****ing idiot for even
considering this after he "had to" give Henry up for the peace of his
other cats. Please, try to get hold of yourself. Brian will do what
Brian wants to do, after all.

LOL!

low five, lowwwwww five! And Happy Easter.

Old March 27th 05, 10:31 PM
Phil P.

"Ashley" wrote in message

"Phil P." wrote in message

"Ashley" wrote in message

When I next get a cat it will be an oriental shorthair,
and I have not even the slightest feeling there is anything wrong in my
wanting that and acting upon that want.

That's because self-gratification is more important to you than the
welfare
of the feline *species*.

Of course. That must be it.

I *know* it is - otherwise you wouldn't even think about buying a cat from a
breeder while million of cats are languishing and dying in shelters.

Old March 27th 05, 10:36 PM
Mary

"Phil P." wrote in message

"Ashley" wrote in message

"Phil P." wrote in message

"Ashley" wrote in message

When I next get a cat it will be an oriental shorthair,
and I have not even the slightest feeling there is anything wrong in

my
wanting that and acting upon that want.

That's because self-gratification is more important to you than the
welfare
of the feline *species*.

Of course. That must be it.

I *know* it is - otherwise you wouldn't even think about buying a cat from

breeder while million of cats are languishing and dying in shelters.

And you are right. If my girls cannot live forever (my first choice) then
maybe one day I want a Siamese-type cat. The short hair and the
coloring, esp. the blue eyes. I will go to a shelter and try to find one--
but how much you want to bet that some little scrawny dime-a-dozen
looking gray tabby like Cheeks steals my heart with the tilt of her
head before I even SEE a Siamese type?