Is it wrong to want another purebred?

Old March 28th 05, 03:07 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-03-28, Mary penned:

I have had the impulse, but as soon as I thought about how it would change
my life I vetoed it. Even with my sisters and many of my friends and
colleagues doing the little mysterious smile and comments such as "it's the
most wonderful thing in the world" and all that other stuff the childful do
around us child-less, I have never bought into the idea that I am missing
anything I don't want to miss. For me, doing anything and everything I want
to do with my life without having the distraction of dependants who might or
might not even like me or appreciate what I have done for them just does not
quite suck. I have watched my oldest nieces and nephews grow up, too.
Let's just say that their parents' experiences with them have done nothing
to make me think my first take on the situation was wrong.

My coworker's wife just had a baby. He was back in the office just
about instantly. Of course he wanted to tell me about how it's the best
thing you can ever do. Well, I'm not going to **** him off by
contradicting him -- what's the point? -- but I'm just sitting here
thinking, you think it changed your life? That thing wasn't in your
body. You're here at work two days later; gee, I wonder what your
wife's doing right now. (To be fair, he'd been asking about paternity
leave earlier and I'm sure it would be tough for them to do without the
pay). It's the old joke about pregnancy being like breakfast -- the
chicken's involved, but the pig is committed. Yeah, nice, he donated
some sperm and I bet he'll have some sleepless nights. Still, I don't
want a male telling me how great it would be to have my body invaded and
permanently altered. I could get that with cancer, too.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 28th 05, 04:30 AM
Meghan Noecker

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 18:21:21 -0500, "PawsForThought"
wrote:

Mary, honestly, I never have. Maybe there's something wrong with me
but I can tell you I've never felt that desire. I mean I like kids, so
long as they're not mine.

Same here.

I babysat some infants when I was younger, and I was very glad to give
them back to their mothers.

I love taking care of my cats and dogs, and I want to adopt most of
the ones I see. But I don't feel the same way when i look at human
children.

--
Meghan & the Zoo Crew
Equine and Pet Photography
Old March 28th 05, 04:33 AM
Bolo

I think buying a purebred is the smart thing to do,for starters you know
what kind of cat you are getting unlike adopted cats some of them have been
in half a dozen homes.I have heard some real horror stories about adopted
cats but have never heard a bad thing about buying a purebred.And like
someone already said you are giving a cat a good home ,but by buying
purebred you know what you are getting into.I have 2 cats, a maine coon and
a ragdoll,and would never trade them for anything.

"Brian Link" wrote in message
Going through old photos today, and came across a directory filled
with pics from when we were thinking about buying a Bengal (which we
did, and he's wonderful). Most are from this site:
http://www.tibcs.com/petcorner/photos.php

After having been through an ordeal with a stray, and knowing the
incredible number of discarded cats available for adoption, is it
morally wrong to think of adopting another purebred?

We've adopted six strays over the last ten years. We bought our Bengal
primarily because we wanted a cat whose personality could be
determined before hand, so it would keep our playful, energetic Tiger
company. This was a specific case that's worked out fantastically..
http://www.discant.com/Cat/Henry%20001.jpg

But I really love this breed - and if we can get ahold of a kitten,
there's a better chance that Louis won't go nuts.

Just a thought. Breeders will continue to breed no matter what we do,
and poor strays will get euthanized no matter what we do. But is this
just rationalizing?

Eh.. I'm not totally driven to take in another cat, but I keep
wondering what Louis will do when Tiger finally dies.. it would be so
nice for him to have another friend around. Also I'd be happy to hear
others' thoughts about adopting from a shelter vs adopting a purebred.

BLink

Old March 28th 05, 04:45 AM
Meghan Noecker

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 07:21:57 -0500, "Phil P."
wrote:

As long as you adopt the cat from a kill shelter - it doesn't matter because
you'll be saving a life and providing a companion for Tiger. If you plan to
buy a 'purebred', first, you might want to take a stroll down death row of
your local kill shelter and then see how those forsaken faces make you feel
about buying a cat from a breeder who probably has a waiting list of buyers
and can't churn out cats fast enough.

This is a very good idea.

While back, there was a discussion about Maine Coons, and I was very
interested, because the breed appeals to me. I have seen them at
shows, and I figured that somebody I might want one. I don't care
about pedigree, so a shelter cat would be fine. It doesn't need to be
a purebred. The temperment is more important, so if I find a cat that
looks good and has the temperement I want, then I should be happy.

So, basically, I was hopeful of getting a Maine Coon in the future,
but not interested in going to a breeder.

Well, about 6 weeks ago, I was at a cat show as a vendor, and I found
myself looking a special cat. I don't know why. I went over to talk to
the shelter lady, not look at adopting a cat. But I gazed into his
eyes, and he sucked me in. He was all curled up in his litter box, so
I didn't even get a good look until the next day. And I didn't realize
how heavy he was until I carried him out to the car.

So, what did I get? Well, he might be part Maine Coon. He is large
(though only 12-13 lbs), and he is fluffy. But he looks pretty much
like an oversized Balinese. The shelter described him as a Himilayan
mix. Frankly, I don't care what he is. He is beautiful, and the
sweetest, non agressive cat I ever met. He is so mild and sweet.
Exactly what I expected when I gazed into his eyes.

My only disappointment is that he won't stay on my bed and does not
appear to want to cuddle. But I am hopeful that he will warm up to it
later. He comes for petting now more than before, he lets me pet his
belly now. So, he may eventually get mory cuddly. He has been
following me around like a puppy dog since I got him, so he is
definitely friendly. And he talks a lot. Sometimes meowing, and
sometimes a cute chortle.

Anyway, he wasn't exactly what I had visualized, and he came along a
lot sooner than planned, but he is perfect. And I think anybody
looking for a cat could check oout the shelters and find the cat for
them, even if the cat doesn't match their preconceived ideal.

--
Meghan & the Zoo Crew
Equine and Pet Photography
Old March 28th 05, 05:11 AM
Ashley

"Meghan Noecker" wrote in message

Anyway, he wasn't exactly what I had visualized, and he came along a
lot sooner than planned, but he is perfect. And I think anybody
looking for a cat could check oout the shelters and find the cat for
them, even if the cat doesn't match their preconceived ideal.

I think anyone looking for a cat should get the cat they want, then take
care of it responsibly.

Old March 28th 05, 05:14 AM
Mary

"Candace" wrote in message
oups.com...
Mary wrote:
"Candace" wrote in message
oups.com...
Mary wrote:

(No, I do not and
will not have children, for reasons of my own.)

Thank God. But it might cut down on your incessant usenet postings

so
I guess there would be an upside (for us).

Candace

Wow. That was so witty, and not at all predictable. You
radical, you. G

Oh, is that why you posted it--so someone could predictably respond and
fall, once more, into your trap? I feel sooooo foolish...and
simple...and mainstream by doing so. If only I could take it back,
darn, bested by "Mary" yet again...

I just post what I feel like posting, you hip and radical chick.
You do the same. Live and let live.

Old March 28th 05, 06:26 AM
Dave

In message "Mary"
wrote:

"PawsForThought" wrote in message
Mary wrote:
We all have a deep-seated drive to reproduce

Speak for yourself! LOL

--

Haven't you ever felt it, on a basic biological level? Like you
can feel your blood simmering in your veins at certaintimes?

Maybe it's a male/female thing, but I've never had any real urge to
breed.

Old March 28th 05, 07:19 AM
Meghan Noecker

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 16:11:56 +1200, "Ashley"
wrote:

"Meghan Noecker" wrote in message

Anyway, he wasn't exactly what I had visualized, and he came along a
lot sooner than planned, but he is perfect. And I think anybody
looking for a cat could check oout the shelters and find the cat for
them, even if the cat doesn't match their preconceived ideal.

I think anyone looking for a cat should get the cat they want, then take
care of it responsibly.

How do you know that thecat you want isn't at the shelter, waiting for
you?

Mine was, and I didn't even know I wanted another cat yet - I already
had 3.

Also, sometimes, what you want isn't necessary what you need, or what
needs you.

Back when I got my sheltie, I wanted an adult, already trained, large
sheltie. I ended up with an adult, never socialized or trained, badly
abused, tiny sheltie.

She was not at all what I wanted, and I would never have chosen her.
My mom gave her to me, not knowing how messed up this dog was.

She may not have been what I wanted, but she is a wonderful dog, the
happiest, sweetest dog on earth. She is exactly what I needed, and I
learned a lot from her.

All I am saying is that we shouldn't lock ourselves into a strict
definition of what we want. We could be passing up a ton of great
animals because we are ded set on how the cat will look. And that
really is how we pick most breeds. Temperment is more predictable, but
there are many breeds who posess the same basic temperment. The
difference is their look.

--
Meghan & the Zoo Crew
Equine and Pet Photography
Old March 28th 05, 07:53 AM
Ashley

wrote:

"Meghan Noecker" wrote in message

Anyway, he wasn't exactly what I had visualized, and he came along a
lot sooner than planned, but he is perfect. And I think anybody
looking for a cat could check oout the shelters and find the cat for
them, even if the cat doesn't match their preconceived ideal.

I think anyone looking for a cat should get the cat they want, then take
care of it responsibly.

How do you know that thecat you want isn't at the shelter, waiting for
you?

Easy. Every cat I've ever had has been either from the SPCA or from a home
that advertised kittens, or a pet shop. They've been moggies. I've loved
(and still love them). However, I know that for my next cats I will be
getting an Aby and an oriental shorthair, because I *really* like what I've
seen of those cats and they really appeal to me. Could I love another moggie
or two? Yes. Will I get one? Who knows. But I *will* be getting those
pedigrees, because I want them. Believe it or not, I do know what I want.

There's nothing to say a cute domestic shorthair from the SPCA won't also
take my fancy - and if it does, I'll get it. Won't stop me getting the
pedigrees, tho.

All I am saying is that we shouldn't lock ourselves into a strict
definition of what we want. We could be passing up a ton of great
animals because we are ded set on how the cat will look.

Or maybe just because we've set our heart on it, and there's nothing wrong
with that. As long as those cats are then lovingly and responsibly cared
for, it's fine by me.