Purrs for my truck

Old October 24th 08, 10:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl

Default Purrs for my truck

Gosh I'm just so full of purr requests lately. My truck check engine light
went on the other day and I took it in today for them to fix it. Well,
OUCH. 3 year old truck and a cylinder head cracked. Going to cost me $4100
to fix it (including the diagnostic test, oil change I asked for before
knowing this bad news, and 4 tire rotation). Of course I didn't get the
extended warranty. Now I see that GMC offers 5 year/100k miles as a
standard warranty now. But not 3 years ago.

Old October 24th 08, 11:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Cheryl" wrote in message
Gosh I'm just so full of purr requests lately. My truck check engine
light went on the other day and I took it in today for them to fix it.
Well, OUCH. 3 year old truck and a cylinder head cracked. Going to cost
me $4100 to fix it (including the diagnostic test, oil change I asked for
before knowing this bad news, and 4 tire rotation). Of course I didn't
get the extended warranty. Now I see that GMC offers 5 year/100k miles as
a standard warranty now. But not 3 years ago.

OUCH! indeed. Purrs are on the way.

Joy

Old October 25th 08, 05:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Cheryl" wrote in message
Gosh I'm just so full of purr requests lately. My truck check engine
light went on the other day and I took it in today for them to fix it.
Well, OUCH. 3 year old truck and a cylinder head cracked. Going to cost
me $4100 to fix it (including the diagnostic test, oil change I asked for
before knowing this bad news, and 4 tire rotation). Of course I didn't
get the extended warranty. Now I see that GMC offers 5 year/100k miles as
a standard warranty now. But not 3 years ago.

Oh-my-gosh, Cheryl! That is really painful. I don't know *anything* about
these things, but were you given any information concerning what would cause
this to happen? Is there any possibility that this is a defect that could
be on a recall list?

MaryL

Old October 25th 08, 08:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 17:52:27 -0400, "Cheryl"
wrote:

Gosh I'm just so full of purr requests lately. My truck check engine light
went on the other day and I took it in today for them to fix it. Well,
OUCH. 3 year old truck and a cylinder head cracked. Going to cost me $4100
to fix it (including the diagnostic test, oil change I asked for before
knowing this bad news, and 4 tire rotation). Of course I didn't get the
extended warranty. Now I see that GMC offers 5 year/100k miles as a
standard warranty now. But not 3 years ago.

Since the truck is off warranty, DON'T have the work done at the
dealership.

They are always the MOST expensive place to have repair work done.

I'm sure that this outrageous cost includes a brand new cylinder head. A
remanufactured one, will work just as well as a new one, and may have a
longer warranty than what the dealer probably offers.

If you don't know a good repair shop in your area, go to

www.cartalk.com

and go to the 'mechanic files' section, which has repair facilities
recommended by people who have been there before, and have been treated
well, and not overcharged.

Good luck with your truck!

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

- Robert Heinlein

Old October 25th 08, 11:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Cheryl wrote:
Gosh I'm just so full of purr requests lately. My truck check engine
light went on the other day and I took it in today for them to fix
it. Well, OUCH. 3 year old truck and a cylinder head cracked. Going to
cost me $4100 to fix it (including the diagnostic test, oil
change I asked for before knowing this bad news, and 4 tire
rotation). Of course I didn't get the extended warranty. Now I see
that GMC offers 5 year/100k miles as a standard warranty now. But
not 3 years ago.

Purrs for your truck and your bank balance.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old October 26th 08, 12:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl

"Gandalf" wrote in message

Since the truck is off warranty, DON'T have the work done at the
dealership.

They are always the MOST expensive place to have repair work done.

I'm sure that this outrageous cost includes a brand new cylinder head. A
remanufactured one, will work just as well as a new one, and may have a
longer warranty than what the dealer probably offers.

If you don't know a good repair shop in your area, go to

www.cartalk.com

and go to the 'mechanic files' section, which has repair facilities
recommended by people who have been there before, and have been treated
well, and not overcharged.

Good luck with your truck!

I looked up the option of having a whole new engine put in (refurbished) but
the engine alone would cost more than this repair. I opted to go with a
dealer because for one, I don't know of any mechanics since I only buy new,
and have the dealer I purchased from service it because they can check for
recalls, etc. Plus they tend to have the parts in stock and are specialized
in the make of the vehicle. But when I found that the dealer I bought the
truck from went out of business I was stuck, and the check engine light
wasn't turning off on its own. I have a long commute to work and I can't
deal with a breakdown.

Good news is that GM responded to an email I sent and wants to call me on
Monday. The rep wants to "work with me" on the issue. We'll see. Plus I
got some advice from someone about the Federal Emissions Warranty and that
this could be covered because of the mandate to install parts to reduce
emissions, and some might cause other parts to go bad. The "check engine
light" is an indicator of an emissions problem. I need to check my owners
manual about how to proceed, but it's in the truck at the service center.

Old October 26th 08, 12:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl

http://www.epa.gov/obd/warranties.htm

Old November 1st 08, 10:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

Cheryl wrote:
Gosh I'm just so full of purr requests lately. My truck check engine
light went on the other day and I took it in today for them to fix it.
Well, OUCH. 3 year old truck and a cylinder head cracked. Going to
cost me $4100 to fix it (including the diagnostic test, oil change I
asked for before knowing this bad news, and 4 tire rotation). Of course
I didn't get the extended warranty. Now I see that GMC offers 5
year/100k miles as a standard warranty now. But not 3 years ago.

Lots of purrs for your truck and for you, Cheryl,
Polonca and Soncek
Old November 2nd 08, 05:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Well, we bought the warranty on three different vehicles and NOTHING that
went wrong was EVER covered. A roll of the dice I guess.
"polonca12000" wrote in message
Cheryl wrote:
Gosh I'm just so full of purr different vehicles over the years and it
EVER covered anything that went wrong.requests lately. My truck check
engine light went on the other day and I took it in today for them to fix
it. Well, OUCH. 3 year old truck and a cylinder head cracked. Going to
cost me $4100 to fix it (including the diagnostic test, oil change I
asked for before knowing this bad news, and 4 tire rotation). Of course
I didn't get the extended warranty. Now I see that GMC offers 5
year/100k miles as a standard warranty now. But not 3 years ago.

Lots of purrs for your truck and for you, Cheryl,
Polonca and Soncek

Found this under a truck! Phil P. Cat health & behaviour 23 July 5th 08 07:57 AM
New Truck Dave Gerecke Cat anecdotes 5 August 18th 06 01:48 AM
Truck Purrs jmcquown Cat anecdotes 18 October 5th 04 02:40 PM
Fun is a ...Matress truck? John Biltz Cat anecdotes 2 December 28th 03 11:34 AM