will it hurt to feed them one bag of Friskies?

Old January 11th 14, 09:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe

Default will it hurt to feed them one bag of Friskies?

All my indoor cats were once neighborhood strays. But I like to feed
them better foods like Pro plan or science diet. Unfortunately,
instead of the online merchant shipping Pro plan, they shipped
Friskies. Will it hurt to feed them a big bag of Friskies? I promise
not to make it a habit.
Old January 12th 14, 12:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
buglady[_2_]

On 1/11/2014 3:55 PM, John Doe wrote:
All my indoor cats were once neighborhood strays. But I like to feed
them better foods like Pro plan or science diet. Unfortunately,
instead of the online merchant shipping Pro plan, they shipped
Friskies. Will it hurt to feed them a big bag of Friskies? I promise
not to make it a habit.

Since Science Diet is garbage, I don't think it can be any worse!

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old January 12th 14, 02:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet,free.spirit
John Doe

Sounds like a troll to me...

--

Path: eternal-september.org!news.eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-september.org!usenet.blueworldhosting.com!feeder01 .blueworldhosting.com!peer03.iad.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!p15no9108199qaj.0!news-out.google.com!fv6ni2268qab.1!nntp.google.com!Xl.t ags.giganews.com!border1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nnt p.giganews.com!local2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.e arthlink.com!news.earthlink.com.POSTED!not-for-mail

Old January 13th 14, 11:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet,free.spirit
buglady[_2_]

Oh, rilly?

From: John Doe
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet,free.spirit
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 01:19:59 +0000 (UTC)

Wake up:
http://catcentric.org/nutrition-and-...ommercial-raw/

Old January 13th 14, 05:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet,free.spirit
dgk

On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 01:19:59 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

Sounds like a troll to me...

No, strong opinions but not a troll. And I think Science Diet is not
what it once was. There are plenty of brands that are supposedly
better than SD. And, as I wrote in another post in another newsgroup,
plenty of cats live long and apparently happy lives eating 9lives and
Friskees.
Old January 13th 14, 06:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet,free.spirit
buglady[_2_]

wrote:

Sounds like a troll to me...

No, strong opinions but not a troll.

..........why thank you! I'm sick of all those sounds like a troll
posts, which are trollish in themselves.

And I think Science Diet is not
what it once was.

.............Personally I don't think it was ever up to much. I used to
go round and round with a SD rep years ago on the dog health group.
Their original food was a canned dog food used for hemorrhagic gastritis
in dogs and not too bad. What made SD popular was the door to door
flogging to vet's offices.

There are plenty of brands that are supposedly
better than SD. And, as I wrote in another post in another newsgroup,
plenty of cats live long and apparently happy lives eating 9lives and
Friskees.

............The charts are still good for weeding out the foods with the
highest amount of carbs, a food item no cat really needs. That was the
point of my posting it, not to extol raw food.

Old January 14th 14, 04:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet,free.spirit
dgk

wrote:

[...]

I tried my cats on the raw frozen food, but they just won't eat it. I
thought that they'd really like it, being mostly just meat, but they
like their canned stinky stuff so that's what they get. Maybe I'll try
the raw stuff again just to check.
Old January 14th 14, 07:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet,free.spirit
buglady[_2_]

On 1/14/2014 10:09 AM, dgk wrote:
I tried my cats on the raw frozen food, but they just won't eat it. I
thought that they'd really like it, being mostly just meat, but they
like their canned stinky stuff so that's what they get. Maybe I'll try
the raw stuff again just to check.

...........I've never had much luck with commercial stuff. The other
thing to keep in mind that they might like it better if it was warm so
it has more of a smell. I used to be able to get freeze dried liver
chunks at the pet food store, but they don't carry them any more. If
you keep it in the freezer it stays crispy and you can powder a bit on
top, which I'd do if they turned thumbs down at some batch of food they
didn't like. I get these odd notions to toss in a bit of smashed
broccoli and it usually turns everyone off!

Buy them some crickets! I bought some frozen mice/chicks/quail recently
from RodentPro. Haven't done that in a long time. Most of the cats
really like the mice and some will eat the chicks. If I can catch an
anole outside, I bring it in for the house bound.

Old January 15th 14, 04:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet,free.spirit
dgk

On Tue, 14 Jan 2014 13:49:09 -0500, buglady
wrote:

On 1/14/2014 10:09 AM, dgk wrote:
[...]

RodentPro. I looked. White Peach Fuzzies $25 a bag. I don't know if I
can do that. I mean, I know that my cats are eating dead stuff (as am
I come to think of it) but somehow feeding them baby mice (dead but
still looking like cute little mice) ... I don't know, sort of hard to
think of doing.

I could probably get away with feeding live crickets to a reptile (and
the upcoming reptiile shows look fun if I was in that area) but I
couldn't even bear to cut apart a dead frog for biology class.
Old January 15th 14, 10:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet,free.spirit
buglady[_2_]

On 1/15/2014 10:07 AM, dgk wrote:

RodentPro.

.............I think there's better places to buy if you're interested.
I used to buy from Mice on Ice but they're out of business.

I looked. White Peach Fuzzies $25 a bag. I don't know if I
can do that. I mean, I know that my cats are eating dead stuff (as am
I come to think of it) but somehow feeding them baby mice (dead but
still looking like cute little mice) ... I don't know, sort of hard to
think of doing.

............They had a sale on, so I indulged for the kitties' sake. Not
something I do on a regular basis. It had been years and years.

Besides, most cats, not all, like that kind of food and it really gets
their prey drive going. The first time I bought mice they were white
and it looked like there was corn popping in the backyard!

I could probably get away with feeding live crickets to a reptile

.........If you look at that cat site I sent they have a breakdown of
crickets and they're really pretty good food.