Iris flowers and cats: toxicity?

Old September 29th 11, 09:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

Default Iris flowers and cats: toxicity? FOLLOW THE LINK

a link with information and pictures right from the ASPCA
http://www.aspca.org/Pet-care/poison...=toxic-to-cats

wrote in message
chaniarts wrote:

On 9/29/2011 11:47 AM, Bill Graham wrote:

From having lived with and around cats all of my life, and being in
many houses filled with potted plants, I think that, in general,
there are no plants found in the average home that are toxic to cats
or other pets. If there were such plants, everyone would know about
them by now, and they would be "common knowlege". Of course, any pet
might be allergic to anything, so there will always be exceptions.
In general, however, I wouldn't worry about it.

huh? there are plenty of toxic house plants available in local stores
all over that are toxic to humans, and would also be toxic to all
house pets. this is well documented.

or did you mean something else?

No. I meant exactly what I said. Why don't you assemble and give us a
list of these plants? It would be very useful to this group.

there's multiple places around on the net that have lists. some common
ones off the top of my head:

rhododendron
chrysanthemum
philodendron
daffodil
mistletoe

all of these are commonly found as house plants or purchased flowers

Don't forget lilies! They're among the worst - very deadly.

--
Joyce

May the great galactic kitten always purr you to sleep.

Old September 30th 11, 03:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

wrote:
chaniarts wrote:

On 9/29/2011 11:47 AM, Bill Graham wrote:

From having lived with and around cats all of my life, and being
in many houses filled with potted plants, I think that, in
[...]

But all these grow in the garden too. They are available to any cat who ever
gets outside. Perhaps that's where the conflict arises.... I am a keeper of
outside cats. all of my cats (I currently have five) can come and go at any
time. There is no way in hell I cold keep any of them from eating any plant
they happened to come across in their daily (and nightly) meanderings
through the neighborhood. As a matter of fact, I had one die this Summer
from eating/drinking "Round-up", which is a weed killer my neighbor used on
his back lawn, and which contaminated a water supply that my cat was
accustomed to using. But this is rare, and I have never lost any cat from
eating a plant. Cats are normally carnivores and outside of taking small
tasts of stuff I eat, will not normally eat much of anything thats
vegitable.

Old September 30th 11, 03:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
chaniarts[_2_]

On 9/29/2011 7:21 PM, Bill Graham wrote:
wrote:
chaniarts wrote:

On 9/29/2011 11:47 AM, Bill Graham wrote:

From having lived with and around cats all of my life, and being
[...]

true, but that's anecdotal evidence. some more anecdotal evidence: i
have 7 indoor only cats, and there is not one house plant, including
store bought cut flowers, that they don't regularly nibble on (except
for my indoor cactus).
Old September 30th 11, 09:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

wrote:
chaniarts wrote:

On 9/29/2011 11:47 AM, Bill Graham wrote:

From having lived with and around cats all of my life, and being
[...]

Yes. Kittens can be seriously harmed by certain cactus plants. I have heard
of several instances of this...... I will add it to my list of things that
can hurt or kill outside cats...

Old September 30th 11, 10:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

wrote:
chaniarts wrote:

On 9/29/2011 11:47 AM, Bill Graham wrote:

From having lived with and around cats all of my life, and being
[...]

Well, I lot of cats will nibble on most anything. But unless whateveritis is
very very poisonous, a little nibble is usually harmless. I had one who ate
an artichoke plant down to ground level as soon as it grew about a foot high
many years ago, but it wasn't poisonous at all, so it did the cat little
harm. My wife had a cat that liked cantaloupe, but that didn't hurt him
either. Very few plants are poisonous enough to hure a cat from a little
nibbling now and then. If they did, they would also hurt children. Some
toddlers will eat anything. My cats nibble on the food we are eating for
breakfast or dinner. We even put some on a seperate plate for them to
sample, (but they prefer to get it directly off of our plates.....)