Cat holding it in.

Old May 27th 06, 03:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Cat holding it in.

This is a cat that we have had for about a month or so. This cat was very
odd in that it wouldn't eat solid food at all. We had to get wet food and
mix it with the solid. Today the cat just gets solid. The cats big problem
is its tendency to hold in urine, and feces for as long as posible. The cat
for the most part will use the litter box, in some cases the cat will urinate
on clothes, and feces next to the litter box. This cat would use nothing but
paper when we first got her, but has since switched to litter with paper on
top. Its getting so bad that the cat will sit in pain holding rather than go.
I have to pick the cat up and set her in the bathroom, and after a few
minutes she goes in the litter box. Soon I won't have time to be with the
cat all day and do this. This is very unsanitary because the fecis gets
spread around the house because the cat holds it in and walks around. I am
more worried about the cats health at this piont it can't be healthy holding
it for hours like that. When ever I put the poor thing in the litter box it
runs away as if frightend. I thought the previos owners may be abused the
cat? When I carry the cat tword the box it scatches, bites, etc. When I
let her out of the bathroom she will sit next to me purring for hours, so she
doesn't hate my for locking her in the bathroom, but sure acs like it on the
way???

Any ideas would be great! Thanks!
Old May 27th 06, 03:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"nedsports" u22330@uwe wrote in message news:60e14efe0e701@uwe...
This is a cat that we have had for about a month or so. This cat was very
odd in that it wouldn't eat solid food at all. We had to get wet food and
mix it with the solid. Today the cat just gets solid.

This is a really bad idea. Canned food IS solid food, and the best thing
to feed your cat.

[...]

She needs to see a vet, pronto.

Old May 27th 06, 05:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

The cat may be trying to pee but has a blockage. Go back to canned food
right away and take her to the vet. Canned food provides more water
that helps to dilute the urine.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old May 29th 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

My vet said that cats will avoid water and the litter box when they
have a urinary track infection. Have you called your vet?

Old May 30th 06, 03:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

a lot of cats will look for more comfy places to try to go to the
bathroom because it's so painful to try to go. They're not holding it
in, they usually have a blockage, crystals. This is deadly, most common
in male cats. Get him to the vet asap!! If it's a female urinary
infections are common, especially if they're over weight and unable to
clean themselves.
When you rescue your cat from the bathroom and she purrs she might be
trying to tell you something. Sometimes when cats are in pain the purr
to both soothe themselves and try to get attention. They don't know how
else to. I had a couple pregnant cats who would purr right before
birthing and my other cat that passed on of cancer was always coming
and purring to me in his last few days.
Good Luck