Vet Tech Journals: Working interviews (very long sorry)

Old September 3rd 06, 09:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
L.

Default Vet Tech Journals: Working interviews (very long sorry)

Mischief wrote:
snip

Cons: The rest of the staff, particularly the female technicians seem
a trifle distance. I'm not sure why, but i'm getting some weird vibes.

Examples: On day one, after i was done with the feral kitties I came
back out and noticed one of the technicians was getting food. I said
"Oh, its time for feeding now?" I know a mildly dumb question, but I
didn't see the harm in asking.

She said, "Uh....yeah?" The unsaid "DUH" hung in the air and i saw it
in her face. Um, okaaaaaaay.... I brushed it off and went about the
rest of the day, but kept an eye out for her.

Probably what you should have done was asked if there was anything you
could do to help (if you weren't busy at the moment).

And this morning i was looking for another technician to help me, and I
saw one who just came in, but I couldn't remember her name. So I said,
"Uh, Claudia, right?"

Probably a bad tactic. You didn't know her name. The best thing to
do, is say "Excuse me, I need a bit of help, do you have a second?" And
if she says yes say "I'm sorry - I don't remember your name...I have
met so many new people in the last few days..." and she would have *had
to* tell you her name because she already committed herself to helping.
In my example, you broke the ice, in asking for help, and apologized
for not remembering her name - you showed you are human and vulnerable,
which people can identify with. That's much better than guessing when
you obviously don't remember.

She gave me a somewhat condescending glance and said "No." And kept on
walking by. Didn't even stop to see what I was doing.

WTF?

She probably thought your approach was rude.

The two head techs have taken the time to try to get to know me, and
i've had conversations with some of the other males techs but not much.
But each of them took the time to introduce themselves.

NONE of the girls have really said a word to me, even a hello and
haven't even tried to get to know me. And when i do speak to them, I
get this feeling like I'm treading on eggshells.

Be proactive. Say hi first. Ask them how long they have worked there,
etc. when you have a chance to talk to them one on one (and you aren't
really busy). Ask about thei pets! People like people who are
interested in their lives.

So on the one hand the clinic shows promise, it bothers me that I've
only worked there two days and already am getting bad vibes. I've been
trying really hard lately to read people's body language and actions,
and what i've seen isn't impressing.

They seem to me to be mid-level technicians, which is wherabouts where
I would start. But I mean, am I THAT threatening to them already?

No. Being mid-level they are probably swamped with work. I think you
may be reading too much into such situations. You can't expect to
break into a working heirarchy when you are merely trying the job to
see how you like it. They have no vested interest in going out of
their way to get to know you - and in fact, may be waiting to see how
proactively personable YOU are.

mean as far as I know, I'm not acting like I know everything, cause if
I did why would they keep asking back? And I'm almost afraid to
mention it cause I don't want to start any rifts. Of course i'm not
going to mention it NOW, but with the way things are going, I wouldn't
be surprised if in the next week or so they made me an offer. If at
all, THAT is when I would mention it but worded very carefully.

I would not. It makes you seem like you have problems working with
people right off the bat. It would be petty to do so at this point.

Cause
the fit is very important and from the last two places I';ve noticed if
there's ANY kind of bad vibes, it's only a matter of time.

I think you are reading more into such situations than you have to and
then making it a self-fulfilling prophecy. You get your hackles up
right away and never let them down. YOU are in control, Kristy - not
anyone else!

At the last place, 'A' and I clashed early on. And as much as I tried
to work with her, it only got worse and I ended up being blamed for
"always arguing with her" And the place before that, this high school
brat with a major attitude and I clashed a bit as well. For two years
we managed to keep our distance, but the last few months it just got
worse.

Maybe the problem is that you don't give in and just let things go. If
you were being accused of arguing with a head tech then you should have
just shut up and done what she asked. If you *obviously* **** someone
off who is more senior than yourself, apologize to them *every single
time* - even if you KNOW you are right.

And if you've read my latest rant about my unemployment interview, you
can see how frustrating this is.
As much as I like this place so far, the LAST thing i want is to get
hired and have personality conflicts down the road that end up leading
to my termination. Doesn't matter if it's 3 weeks, 3 months or 3
years. That would be THREE jobs in a row where i would have been
discharged for 'not getting along with the staff'

God if that happened I don't know if i could handle that.

Then it is time to take a different road - yes? Maybe look at these
situations in a different way - that these people are NOT out to get
you and people are *not* saying things to you because they don't like
you, or have "attitude problems". Take a step back, give people the
benefit of the doubt, and LET THINGS GO. Value what people say to you -
they have been their longer and know what they are talking about!
Learn when to ask questions and when to be quiet. Respect the
heirarchy. Start each day new.

I'm trying ot keep my head up, and will see how the next working
interview goes. I have another interview tomorrow at a different
place.

ithinkicanithinkicanithinkican.....

You are extremely capable! You need to rely more on your knowledge and
not get so wrapped up in what others *may* be thinking. Believe in
yourself! You have a lot to offer and people will recognize that, but
you have to relax and not worry so much about "vibes" that you may or
may not be getting.

Look at it this way - if someone doesn't like you, so what!?! They
still have to work with you, right? So be nice to them under all
circumstances, and pretend any "slight" they throw your way isn't a
slight - because, afterall, you MAY be misreading them! Kill them with
kindness. If all you project is kindness and helpfulness, people will
see that in you. Greet each person each day in the way you would want
to be greeted. If you have a real run-in with someone, let it go.
Start each day new. People can't like you if you don't give them the
chance! Remember - YOU are in control of how you feel. No one can
make you feel bad without your consent.

Good luck, and knock 'em dead!

-L.

Old September 3rd 06, 10:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Helen Miles

"tanada" wrote in message
ink.net

One of the new tools for teachers who are job hunting, I'm told, is a video
tape of them in the classroom. The principal, or others on the hiring team,
can watch the tape and get an idea of how the teacher is in the classroom.
The tape is, of course, of the teaching candidate at their best, but it
still gives an idea of what they are capable of. It is also used as a
critiquing tool so that the candidate can see where they were or weren't
effective. Personally, I like it.////

In the UK, job interviews for teachers actually consist of the schools
senior staff watching the applicant teach a relevant lesson to the
children they are likely to teach. This is as well as several interviews
on the day with different staff.

Scary stuff.

Helen M (wibbling, because she'll have to go through it next spring...)

Old September 4th 06, 01:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mischief

Default I've had enough...........

I started to write a long response to this one and to your other
response to my other post, because i have several arguments to your
points.

But i'm tired......... I'm tired of dealing with this whole damn thing
It ****es me off and makes me depressed and makes me cry, but it's not
worth trying to argue.

I totally appreicate what you said and thank you for taking the time to
give me afvice. But I will saying the following points:

I'm sick and tired of trying to make people like me. Yes I believe
that if people don't like me and I still have to work with them, fine I
can do that. Been there done that, I will do my part and be
professional. But in the past two jobs the other people have refused
to be professional. I have let things brush off and go on with what
i'm doing, but after several occurances one has to wonder if it is
personal. One rude comment is not going to influence me, but
continuous rude interactions and i doubt that even you would just stand
there and take it.

I once had a class mate that would ride me and talk down to me all the
time. I brushed it off but still she continued. Nothing I did was
right in her eyes. I took it and swalllowed EVERYTHING she threw at
me. I even tried not looking at her cause i knew she would take it the
wrong way and do you know what happened? She came up and demanded that
I stop giving HER attitude when in reality i was doing EVERYTHING to
work with her.

I won't get into the rest, but i ended up losing my temper, punching a
cabinet (the cabinet won) and my professor asked told me that while on
one hand I can't let things get to me, I should just stand there and
have people walk over me either.

Your advice is good and sound, but now i have to wonder why i feel
myself getting irked, defensive and teary eyed just from reading your
posts. I know YOU are not out to get me. You're only try to help me.
So why do i feel myself getting upset? Why am i percieving your
and to me it seems you are siding with my previous employer to just
shut my mouth? Why am i reading it that way, cause that CAN'T be it. I
honestly don't understand and don't worry I don't expect you to answer.
I just know that i'm crying and can't understand why.......

Like I said, I'm tired.

My unemployment claim was denied for "disputing with my employer" You
probably agree since you said it was apparent. I didn't even
understand but you did and thank you for explaining it to me, I guess
i don't like hearing what i've been hearing all my life and have yet to
understand. I still though appreciate you advice and you do really seem
to me concerned and want to help me.

Part of me wants to apologize to you over and over and say i hope you
don't take it personally but another part of me just wants to argue
with your cause i don't feel you really understand as a fellow tech,
and part of me wants to just delete this post and neither of them make
sense adn i'm rambling again....

So i'll go with what the rest of me wants to do......i'll just
stop.....cause it's just making me me cry more.....

I know i'm capable and that I'm in control. I can't make people like
me. Yet i feel like i've jumping through every hoop they put before
me. I brush it off, I do what I'm told, i keep my mouth shut and i
still get stomped on.

I'm too tired to do anything anymore...... I've had enough of trying
to be myself and fitting in and getting along and not trying to be
defensive and trying to do my job and trying to listen and trying to
keep my mouth shut and trying to believe in myself and trying to
impress the doctor and trying to be professional but not being
overenergetic and trying to think about how i'm going to handle
this.....i've HAD ENOUGH!!!!!.....

Tomorrow is another day.....

i'm gonna go now and find a cat to cuddle with......

Kristi

Old September 4th 06, 01:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
The Polish-Kraut

On 3 Sep 2006 17:46:33 -0700, "Mischief"
wrote:

I started to write a long response to this one and to your other
response to my other post, because i have several arguments to your
points.

SNIP

Useless dribble

SNIP

What in the hell is your problem ?!?!?!

Old September 4th 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mischief

Excuse me?

I'm seriously hojping you are a troll

Old September 4th 06, 02:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl

On Sun 03 Sep 2006 08:46:33p, Mischief wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes (news:1157330793.685987.72400
@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com):

Tomorrow is another day.....

i'm gonna go now and find a cat to cuddle with......

Hang in there sweetie. We're all with you. Crying isn't a bad thing.
Sometimes it means a nerve was touched. That doesn't mean that the
nerve has to keep being touched over and over; not until you're
ready. Get some rest and I'm sure that all three are going to come
cuddle with you and try to chear you up. )

--
Cheryl

Old September 4th 06, 02:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl

On Sun 03 Sep 2006 09:02:41p, Mischief wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes (news:1157331761.675153.231570
@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com):

Excuse me?

I'm seriously hojping you are a troll

Ignore him Kristi. He's not worth anyone's time here. He's a
seemingly angry old man. I've seen his posts for years, though he
keeps changing his nick lately.

--
Cheryl

Old September 4th 06, 02:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
pmendhall

"Mischief" wrote in message
ps.com...
i'm gonna go now and find a cat to cuddle with......

Please do find a kitty to cuddle. Your reaction to the post probably has
more to do with all the stress you have been under.

Sending job purrs and interview purrs.

Hugs!

Diane

Old September 4th 06, 05:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tanada

"The Polish-Kraut" wrote in message

What in the hell is your problem ?!?!?!

Well, your personality comes to mind....

Pam S.

Old September 4th 06, 05:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tanada

"Mischief" wrote in message
ps.com...

Tomorrow is another day.....

i'm gonna go now and find a cat to cuddle with......

Kristi

Sweetie, give yourself some space, and let it ride for a bit. Then you can
think over what you want to of what everyone said and decide how valid their
advice is. In general, advice is worth about what you paid for it,
especially when the sources are considered. You're a sweetie and some times
people will use that.

Pam S. A mean tough old woman