cat meows with no sound?

Old September 10th 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
UseNet

Default cat meows with no sound?

My cat recently started making silent meows , where his mouth goes thru the
motions but I barely hear anything., especially when guests are present.
Is this normal for a cat?

CR

Old September 10th 06, 10:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

Sometimes when a cat loses its voice it can be a sign of a infection in the
throat or an abscess it is something that you need to have a vet check out

Old September 10th 06, 10:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
UseNet

I should have mentioned he does this along with his normal meows and sounds.
His voice seems OK . This seems more like a psychological thing.

CR
. ..

Old September 10th 06, 11:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

If it only happens when strangers are around it probably is a stress factor

IMO is there is no change in his habits ( bathroom, eating ) other than
that I would mention it on your next vet visit. I would not hurt to make a
phone call to your vet you trust.

It sounds like something normal a cats does it is hard to describe
something like what you are trying to.

If I am off base I am sure someone will point it out here. So keep
checking the post

Good luck

"UseNet" wrote in message
I should have mentioned he does this along with his normal meows and
sounds.
His voice seems OK . This seems more like a psychological thing.

CR
. ..

Old September 10th 06, 11:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
William Hamblen

On 2006-09-10, UseNet wrote:

My cat recently started making silent meows , where his mouth goes thru the
motions but I barely hear anything., especially when guests are present.
Is this normal for a cat?

Does he make noisy meows, too? Maybe he has been reading Paul
Gallico, The Silent Miaow: A Manual for Kittens, Strays, and
Homeless Cats. My cat will look up and give a silent mew.

Bud

Old September 11th 06, 01:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

On 2006-09-10, UseNet wrote:

My cat recently started making silent meows , where his mouth goes thru

the
motions but I barely hear anything., especially when guests are present.
Is this normal for a cat?

Does he make noisy meows, too? Maybe he has been reading Paul
Gallico, The Silent Miaow: A Manual for Kittens, Strays, and
Homeless Cats.

My all-time favorite!

"Take Over" "I can think of no better phrase to apply when we move in upon
human beings. Overnight everything is changed for them; their homes, as well
as in time their customs and habits, are no longer their own. From then on
they belong to us." (p.16) No truer words were ever spoken.

Here's an actual picture of the author writing the original manuscript:
http://www.maxshouse.com/origin_dome...t_Miaow-01.jpg

Old September 11th 06, 01:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"UseNet" wrote in message
My cat recently started making silent meows , where his mouth goes thru

the
motions but I barely hear anything., especially when guests are present.
Is this normal for a cat?

That's the infamous "silent miaow".

Old September 11th 06, 04:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kitkat

Phil P. wrote:
"UseNet" wrote in message

My cat recently started making silent meows , where his mouth goes thru

the

motions but I barely hear anything., especially when guests are present.
Is this normal for a cat?

That's the infamous "silent miaow".

Dudley was more of a squeaker, so we called it the "silent squeak"

Old September 11th 06, 01:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, UseNet exclaimed (11-Sep-06 7:05 AM):
My cat recently started making silent meows , where his mouth goes thru the
motions but I barely hear anything., especially when guests are present.
Is this normal for a cat?

CR

I have this theory that the meow is audible - to the cat anyway. If
they can hear well above the ranges that humans can, it makes sense they
can vocalize in these ranges as well.

When Meep's making these little 'aatch' sounds like she's doing now
behind me (telling me about how good the lambswool feels between her
toes), I do get the distinct impression that there's more but I just
can't hear it.

jmc

cat has popping sound coming from one ear....constantly itching both ears SD Cat health & behaviour 11 June 28th 06 07:58 PM
That "prey" sound Karen Cat anecdotes 15 September 11th 05 03:39 PM
She makes her own sound effects Bridget Cat anecdotes 23 June 7th 05 07:59 PM
I love the sound... Gabey8 Cat anecdotes 2 March 23rd 05 04:16 AM
Help!!! Cats meows constantly Agua Girl Cat health & behaviour 46 April 7th 04 09:05 AM