Tiger Balm

Old September 11th 07, 07:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Default Tiger Balm

mlbriggs wrote:

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 17:49:55 +0800, badwilson wrote:

Sorry I have participated so little lately. Life's been insane lately
and on top of it all I've been sick. So purrs for everyone who needs
them!
I started out having the flu and now it's progressed to an annoying
cough. Last night I decided to try that supposedly sure-fire night-time
cough remedy where you put a thick layer of Vick's Vapo Rub on the soles
of your feet at bedtime. Unfortunately I didn't have any Vick's, but I
did have Tiger Balm. I figured it must be close to the same thing so I
tried it.
I got on the bed and oped the jar of Tiger Balm. Vino jumped up on the
bed and approached me. I held out the jar for him to sniff and it was
like he hit an invisible force field that prevented him from getting any
closer. It was so funny the way he instantly stopped dead in his tracks
and jerked his head back a bit. And this from a distance of probably a
foot from the jar!
Anyway, I coated the soles of my feet and put some socks on. Then I
went to bed. I was lying in bed reading when suddenly Vino jumped up
and attacked my feet under the doona! Wow, I thought, he's sure playful
tonight, he hasn't done "bedmice" for ages! But it just went on, and
on, and on! He was burrowing my thick winter doona like crazy, trying
to dig through to my feet. I finally realized that it was the (by now
much fainter) smell of the Tiger Balm that was driving him crazy. It
got to the point where I had to push him away a couple of times, I was
afraid for my doona cover. But he just kept returning, glazed look in
his eyes, purring non-stop. Finally he must have had his fill and he
sacked out in a catnip-high type trance and went to sleep.
As for the cough remedy, I didn't cough all night and had a great sleep,
so it must have worked. I will try it again tonight. We'll see if Vino
has the same reaction again!

When I was a child and caught a cold, my mother rubbed Vick's Vapo Rub on
my chest and covered it with a flannel rag. I never heard of putting it
on feet. On the chest, the vapors rose to nose and throat.

The last time I bought a small bottle of Vick's it cost $10.00. It used
to be ten or fifteen cents. MLB

Yeah, and bread used to be ten cents a loaf, meat fifty
cents a pound! (I think we betray our age!)

Old September 11th 07, 07:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 11:36:45 -0700, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

mlbriggs wrote:

[quoted text muted]

Yeah, and bread used to be ten cents a loaf, meat fifty
cents a pound! (I think we betray our age!)
[quoted text muted]

You are so right! MLB
Old September 11th 07, 08:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

mlbriggs wrote:

[...]

And don't forget 3 cent stamps and penny postcards. I can't remember when
postage went up to 4 cents, but I know it was at least several years after I
had married.

Joy

Old September 11th 07, 08:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
bonbon

snip

The last time I bought a small bottle of Vick's it cost $10.00. It used
to be ten or fifteen cents. MLB

Yeah, and bread used to be ten cents a loaf, meat fifty
cents a pound! (I think we betray our age!)

Don't forget.....it used to cost 10 bucks to spay a cat.
Old September 11th 07, 11:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_2_]

"bonbon" wrote in message
snip

The last time I bought a small bottle of Vick's it cost $10.00. It used
to be ten or fifteen cents. MLB

Yeah, and bread used to be ten cents a loaf, meat fifty
cents a pound! (I think we betray our age!)

Don't forget.....it used to cost 10 bucks to spay a cat.

Here in NY, we have the pizza rule. The price of a slice of pizza, has, all
my life, seemed to be tacked to the price of a subway token. I remember
when both were 15 cents. Now they're both two dollars.

Old September 12th 07, 01:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 18:57:56 -0400, Kreisleriana wrote:

"bonbon" wrote in message
[quoted text muted]

Here in NY, we have the pizza rule. The price of a slice of pizza, has, all
my life, seemed to be tacked to the price of a subway token. I remember
when both were 15 cents. Now they're both two dollars.

I remember the first time I had a slice of pizza it was at Woolworth's
(remember that one) and it was 15 cents. MLB
Old September 12th 07, 01:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 11:36:45 -0700, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

mlbriggs wrote:

[quoted text muted]

Yeah, and bread used to be ten cents a loaf, meat fifty
cents a pound! (I think we betray our age!)
[quoted text muted]

Guess I'm lucky I can still remember!!! MLB

Old September 12th 07, 02:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

bonbon wrote:
snip

The last time I bought a small bottle of Vick's it cost $10.00. It used
to be ten or fifteen cents. MLB

Yeah, and bread used to be ten cents a loaf, meat fifty
cents a pound! (I think we betray our age!)

Don't forget.....it used to cost 10 bucks to spay a cat.

And my starting salary, when I left school, was $180 a
MONTH! (All my friends considered me fortunate - most of
them started at only $160.) Like they say, everything is
relative.
Old September 12th 07, 02:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

mlbriggs wrote:

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 18:57:56 -0400, Kreisleriana wrote:

"bonbon" wrote in message
. ..

[quoted text muted]

Here in NY, we have the pizza rule. The price of a slice of pizza, has, all
my life, seemed to be tacked to the price of a subway token. I remember
when both were 15 cents. Now they're both two dollars.

I remember the first time I had a slice of pizza it was at Woolworth's
(remember that one) and it was 15 cents. MLB

Back during WW2, my mom and I used to go shopping on
Thrusday nights (the stores were only open in the evening
one day a week). We'd have dinner at Woolworth's, first,
for about 35 cents each! (Real "dinner" - meat, potato and
veg, plus dessert and beverage.)
Old September 12th 07, 03:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_2_]

bonbon wrote:
snip

The last time I bought a small bottle of Vick's it cost $10.00. It used
to be ten or fifteen cents. MLB

Yeah, and bread used to be ten cents a loaf, meat fifty cents a pound!
(I think we betray our age!)

Don't forget.....it used to cost 10 bucks to spay a cat.

And my starting salary, when I left school, was $180 a MONTH! (All my
friends considered me fortunate - most of them started at only $160.)
Like they say, everything is relative.

My parents paid $75 a month for the apartment we lived in when I was born.
I think the placegoes for a couple thousand now.