Any suggestions?

Old December 31st 03, 04:05 PM
King Ineptune

Default Any suggestions?

We have a 7 yo male with scratch wounds on both temples. He has scratched
most of his life (we believe its either allergy or behavior-related) with
usually no more than a slightly bleeding scratch at its very worse.

He now has dime-sized open wounds on each side (temple area). They heal a
bit (one day or so) and then he opens them up again. Fortunately there is no
infection. All of the topical ointments warn not to get the product in the
eyes. We tried applying and light coat of ointment (antibiotic) but he
managed to get it in his one eye which resulted in a one-eyed cat for 2
days.

Any suggestions on how to isolate the wounds long enough to allow
appreciable healing?

Thanks,
KI

Old December 31st 03, 05:11 PM
Alison

"King Ineptune" wrote in message
[...]

Hi ,
It would help if you could pin point the cause of the scratching , a
change of diet might help.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body...allergies.html
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body...allergies.html
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body...granuloma.html

an Elizabethan collar might help, you can get one from the vet.
Alison

Thanks,
KI

Old December 31st 03, 06:16 PM
Karen M.

Alison wrote:

[...]

Yes, and also for the scratching try putting something over his paws or
his his head, like booties and a cut up sock??? I would definitely take
kitty to a dermatologist. You don't want to mess with allergies, believe
you me!!

Old December 31st 03, 11:40 PM
Cheryl

In ,
Karen M. composed with style:

Yes, and also for the scratching try putting something over his
paws or his his head, like booties and a cut up sock??? I would
definitely take kitty to a dermatologist. You don't want to mess
with allergies, believe you me!!

I agree with this! I made a "tshirt" out of a tube sock for Shamrock
for when I have to put something like a topical cortisone or triple AB
on his "hot spots". Just a sock with arm holes cut into it. He hates
it but it works better for him than an e-collar as he's more mobile.
At least it gives the stuff some time to work before he licks it off.
He sure walks funny though.

Old December 31st 03, 11:40 PM
Cheryl

In ,