Thyroid surgery

Old July 20th 04, 06:24 PM

I like the idea of giving up a shirt to
make Boo feel more at home. I suppose it
was "sacrificial" due to the fact that it
became contaminated by radiation.

In '99, when My cat Zach (RB) went in for I-131, I went to a discount
store and bought one of those cheap packages of 5 large t-shirts. I
slept in one each night and would regularly bring one to the clinic he
was at so he would have something with my scent on it. The techs taking
care of him seemed to think it made a difference and calmed him. The law
here required longer clinic stays than most states and I wasn't able to
bring him home for 16 days. He did very well overall although the first
few days were very hard for him. Fortunately the clinic staff were aware
of his hard luck story and very delicate, insecure nature (he was a
recent rescue and I wrote and gave several copies of a detailed letter
to them telling his story) and they went out of their way giving him
extra attention and making him feel more secure. We had three and a half
more very good years together and it was worth it.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old July 20th 04, 09:50 PM
Steve G

"Mary" wrote in message r.com...
(...)

Thank you. I just found one of the treatment facilities online, it is in
Carrboro, NC.

Small world - my vet!
S.

Old July 20th 04, 11:07 PM
Mary

"Steve G" wrote in message
om...
"Mary" wrote in message

r.com...
(...)

Thank you. I just found one of the treatment facilities online, it is in
Carrboro, NC.

Small world - my vet!
S.

It really is. I just got back from my vet (Buddha still has not given a
urine sample, so I have to take her back tomorrow morning) and he went to
school with both the founder of the practice and another doctor there. I
understand the founder is physically disabled, and has been for a long time,
and yet is a really wonderful, high achieving vet. From my vet's
recommendation today, I definitely want to use the Carrboro hospital.

Old July 20th 04, 11:18 PM
Mary

wrote in message
I like the idea of giving up a shirt to
make Boo feel more at home. I suppose it
was "sacrificial" due to the fact that it
became contaminated by radiation.

In '99, when My cat Zach (RB) went in for I-131, I went to a discount

store and bought one of those cheap packages of 5 large t-shirts. I slept in
one each night and would regularly bring one to the clinic he
was at so he would have something with my scent on it.

A great idea. I think I will have my husband sleep in an old t-shirt and
donate it, as Buddha worships him. He is really her human.

The techs taking care of him seemed to think it made a difference and

calmed him. The law here required longer clinic stays than most states and
I wasn't able to
bring him home for 16 days.

I really home they won't keep her that long. I have heard everything from
three days to two weeks. Today my vet told me that it is more a matter of
the cat's waste, which is radioactive for quite a while, rather than the cat
itself being radioactive.

He did very well overall although the first
few days were very hard for him. Fortunately the clinic staff were aware

of his hard luck story and very delicate, insecure nature (he was arecent
rescue and I wrote and gave several copies of a detailed letter to them
telling his story) and they went out of their way giving him
extra attention and making him feel more secure.

That's great that you made that effort and that they took care of him that
way. Boo is pretty confident--nine years ago I carried her in the palm of my
hand (she was so tiny) to my husband's father, where she was spoiled beyond
rotten, played with, loved, laughed at, cuddled, and overfed into her
current errr, "Rubenesque" shape. Then he began to travel a lot and I
asked for her back. She's very assertive and very brave. On the other hand,
since she has been with my husband for so long, she is very attached to him,
so she will be very lonely. This cat has a lovely, totally heart-rending,
deep, throaty howl--I have never heard a more evocative "woe is me!" I guess
part of that is the thyroid disease as I understand it makes them more
vocal. But maybe part of it is kind of like the way the biggest, deepest
voices come out of those great big blues singers! Buddha will sing the blues
every night. She does here if my husband leaves the room long enough to take
a shower. I guess I am worried about her being gone so long.

We had three and a half
more very good years together and it was worth it.

I bet. I'd do it for any additional time with this hilarious, sweet girl.
Thanks for the input.