Suggestions, Please!

Old August 8th 06, 10:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Suggestions, Please!

I just got back from an organizational meeting for a fundraiser we're
having in October. It's kind of a "Bark in the Park" event, where
people get pledges, then walk their dogs around a track, etc. etc.
There will be other things going on like games, free microchipping,
contests.

Cats are not welcome. :-( They tell me it's due to the possibility of
cat-chasing tendencies in the "other" participants. Oh well. My cats
said they wouldn't come if they were invited anyway.

I'm always complaining that the cats take a back seat to the d-pets. So
someone came up with the idea that we can have a "Meow Mart". Kind of a
boutique with cat-things to buy. Now I'm getting to the point of the
post. DH is going to make one of his awesome cat trees to raffle off. I
thought about cat tents. I thought about Pam's snakes. Then I ran out
of ideas. Can anybody help me?

Thanks a bunch

Sherry
p.s. I still think the cats ought to be involved in this. I think we
could have a table set up with a row of jars, each with your cat's
picture on it. People could put in money, to vote for the most
beautiful cat. The cat with the most money in its jar wins (insert some
cheesy prize). The money of course, is a donation to the cat room!

Old August 8th 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

If you know any knitters do one of those fabulous kitty pies (
http://wendyknits.net/knit/kittybed.htm )

Sherry
p.s. I still think the cats ought to be involved in this. I think we
could have a table set up with a row of jars, each with your cat's
picture on it. People could put in money, to vote for the most
beautiful cat. The cat with the most money in its jar wins (insert some
cheesy prize). The money of course, is a donation to the cat room!

That's a good idea. Did you suggest it?

Old August 8th 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Karen wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Oh yeah! Kitty pi's! I'd forgotten about them. I can't knit, and can't
think of anyone who can, but maybe some other board member knows
someone.
No, I haven't suggested it. You know what happens when you suggest
something. You suddenly become the committee chairman. I guess I better
start working on the jars.

Sherry

Old August 8th 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

wrote in message
ups.com...

Karen wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

OK, what is a kitty pi?

Your other ideas sound wonderful. You could also consider the best phtograph
/ drawing / painting of a cat and best craft item with a cat theme. Then
sell he contributions.

A colouring in competition is a necessity.

The best story about a cat (max 500 words), the best poem about a cat (max
12 lines) ?

There's also cat slippers you can make out of two squares of knitting, plus
some eyes, ears & whiskers. They're pretty easy to make and are adorable.
Could try those as well.

For kids (or adults?), 'the best meow', where people have to sound like a
cat. Judged by the audience of cat lovers of course.

Face painting - cat themed, naturally. If you know of a nail artist who wold
donate time, cat-themed finger nails!

Cat ears headband, cat tail 'belt' and cat-nose for kids could be fun as
well.

Oh, and for the cat 'judging', make sure there's a few categories for
moggies to win, like 'longest tail', 'longest whiskers', 'biggest ears',
'sharpest claws', 'most stripes', 'oldest' etc etc

Hope that helps and good luck.

Yowie

Old August 9th 06, 01:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

On 2006-08-08 16:58:50 -0500, "Yowie" said:

http://wendyknits.net/knit/kittybed.htm

Check out the gallery! They are SOOOOOOooooo cool. I wish I could knit.

Old August 9th 06, 01:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl

On Tue 08 Aug 2006 05:22:16p, Karen wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
m):

If you know any knitters do one of those fabulous kitty pies (
http://wendyknits.net/knit/kittybed.htm )

I was going to suggest that. My mom said making them went very
quickly, though the wool yarn can get expensive. She made about 8 of
them. LOL My cats LOVE them.

--
Cheryl

Old August 9th 06, 03:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Cheryl wrote:
On Tue 08 Aug 2006 05:22:16p, Karen wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
m):

If you know any knitters do one of those fabulous kitty pies (
http://wendyknits.net/knit/kittybed.htm )

I was going to suggest that. My mom said making them went very
quickly, though the wool yarn can get expensive. She made about 8 of
them. LOL My cats LOVE them.

--
Cheryl

Dang. Now I've *got* to find a knitter. I think those would fetch a
pretty good price. They're really beautiful, and you know how we cat
people like to spend our money on cat things.

Sherry

Old August 9th 06, 03:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Yowie wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Karen wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

That helps a lot! Cat face-painting is a for-sure, if I can find an
artist. The "best meow" would be a hoot. I really appreciate your
input. I'm getting excited about this. I think it will be a lot of fun.
Even if we don't make much money, the community exposure will be
*great*. And they're bringing animals from the shelter onsite, too.

Sherry

Old August 9th 06, 04:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen AKA Kajikit

On 8 Aug 2006 14:10:33 -0700, wrote:

[...]

What about selling little pots of catgrass and live catnip? They're
not very hard to grow if you've got someone with a green thumb
Silver and Tessie went beserk over the little plastic pot of cat grass
I bought them at petco!
Old August 9th 06, 04:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
[...]

That's a great idea! And I do have a greenhouse. I think there's time
to get some started if I get them potted now.

Sherry