New here and looking for a helping hand w/ baby

Old May 17th 05, 01:12 PM
missmelin

Default New here and looking for a helping hand w/ baby

Hi Y'all. i'm new and hoping maybe someone can help me out a bit before i
call the vet's office. We just got a persian kitten, 12 weeks old & very
cute i have to say. She flew in a over the weekend, now her eyes have
been draining a bit. I've been washing them down w/ a warm wash cloth a
few times a day to get the crusty stuff off her face and to wipe whatever
else i can. Anyone know of anything different i can do for her? She isn't
bothered by it at all, she's still very playful and walks around here like
she's the queen, regardless of the other cat and dog...haha..
Any advice would be appreciated!
thanks!
melinda

Old May 17th 05, 03:17 PM
Mlle. Anaïs ^..^

On Tue, 17 May 2005 08:12:06 -0400, missmelin wrote:

Hi Y'all. i'm new and hoping maybe someone can help me out a bit before i
call the vet's office. We just got a persian kitten, 12 weeks old & very
cute i have to say. She flew in a over the weekend, now her eyes have
been draining a bit. I've been washing them down w/ a warm wash cloth a
few times a day to get the crusty stuff off her face and to wipe whatever
else i can. Anyone know of anything different i can do for her? She isn't
bothered by it at all, she's still very playful and walks around here like
she's the queen, regardless of the other cat and dog...haha..
Any advice would be appreciated!
thanks!
melinda

Hi melinda,

My cat (Anaïs) a Persian, and it is normal for their eyes to drain,
and one of your daily tasks will be to wash off the crusty eye stuff;
they have such big eyes that the normal tearing of a Persian will
collect the enviornmental crap as a crust, not unlike what you wake up
with in the morning. I use the drugstore brand of eye wash (NOT the
wash for contact lenses, but the liquid you put in an eye cup to flush
the eye) and put a few drops IN each eye, then on the surrounding fur,
wiping it up with a makeup pad, cotton ball or washcloth saturated
with more eye wash.

Depending on where you live, a bacteria that feeds on tears may
choose to dwell in the fur around her eyes and stain it with red/brown
stains. (You will see this on other cat breeds and some dogs too). In
that case you will have to dust the area with antibiotic powder from
time to time. Here's the link to instructions and pictures of how to
do it: http://pandecats.com/x/packing_the_eye.htm and they sell the
eye powder too. It seems expensive, but I bought a jar two years ago
and still have about a half-inch of it!

Your other daily task is a daily combing of her fur, paying attention
to the "underarms", and a monthly bath. Since she is young, this is
the best time to get her trained for both; be gentle, yet firm because
the combing and bath is not for looks, but because double-coated cats
shed fur daily and develop mats and tangles that will quickly cause
ulcerations and infections, not to mention the cat will scratch at
them as it tries to tear them out. Your grooming is prevention. The
comb used is very specific, and called a "Greyhound comb" - google it
for places that sell it.

Explore both: http://pandecats.com/ and
http://www.persian-cats.com/ for articles and instructions for
Persians' care; and don't forget that your breeder is the best source
for help. Mine was/is wonderful, giving me demos of eye and ear
cleaning, bathing and drying, and she's always available for
questions.

Feel free to email me if you have any other questions

Sonam D.
--
Purrs,

Mlle. Anaïs
5/17/2005 10:01:51 AM
anais+at+electric-ink+dot+com
Old May 17th 05, 06:29 PM
Mlle. Anaïs ^..^

On Tue, 17 May 2005 08:12:06 -0400, missmelin wrote:

Hi Y'all. i'm new and hoping maybe someone can help me out a bit before i
call the vet's office. We just got a persian kitten, 12 weeks old & very
cute i have to say. She flew in a over the weekend, now her eyes have
been draining a bit. I've been washing them down w/ a warm wash cloth a
few times a day to get the crusty stuff off her face and to wipe whatever
else i can. Anyone know of anything different i can do for her? She isn't
bothered by it at all, she's still very playful and walks around here like
she's the queen, regardless of the other cat and dog...haha..
Any advice would be appreciated!
thanks!
melinda

Oooops, In my first reply I focused soly on information, and forgot
to welcome you to the wonderful world of Persians! Of course she's
acting like she's the queen - she is! What's her name?

Here's a link to photos of my baby:
http://www.angelfire.com/linux/sonam/ who IS the queen in my home!

And it's written in "meowchat", the language that the cats in this
group speak (tho some do speak "normal" english, LOL! The kitties here
have adventures and relationships, and do the talking; we humans are
only the secretaries; feel free to join in!
--
Purrs,

Mlle. Anaïs
5/17/2005 1:25:22 PM
anais+at+electric-ink+dot+com
Old May 21st 05, 03:27 PM
missmelin

thanks for the info, helped alot. I ended up taking Marshmellow to the vet
yesterday and it turns out she has an upper respitory infection as well.
I got 2 meds for her, one for cold and the other for her eyes. Needless to
say she isn't too happy w/ me when she gets her meds. I don't have a web
site to post her pics up but if you want, I can email them to you. Yours
are beautiful!!
thanks again,
melinda